• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player 10.2 Crashes Browser

Feb 15, 2011 Feb 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We have a large flash application and can confirm that the new FP 10.2 causes the browser to crash when running our application.

We can confirm the following:

- It crashes on a fresh install of Windows 7, running Chrome [* see crash log]

- It crashes on a Mac (Safari, Chrome, FF)

- It crashes on Linux (Chrome, FF, Opera)

- It crashes on Windows 7, XP, Vista (IE, FF, Chrome)  [** another crash log]

- Turnnig hardware accelleration on | off does nothing (might slightly increase the time in our app before the crash)

- The same app does not crash with previous versions of the Flash Player

- The same app does not crash with the debug player of FP 10.2

We thought that perhaps the crash was due to our app using too much memory and being kicked off by the Flash Player's new 'out of memory' feature: "Out-of-memory management

Automatically prevent out-of-memory browser crashes by shutting down instances where a SWF file attempts to allocate more memory than is available on the device."  http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/features/

But this feature has been around since FP 10.1, so that does not explain the problem.

Another suggestion was this:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/789403

Not very useful because we have thousands of lines of code and countless switch statements.

Adobe, what is going on? I've traweled the Flash Player forum & there are lots of questions being asked about version FP 10.2, but no useful answers or responses from your team?

[* Crash Log]

Faulting application name: chrome.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4d533e9f

Faulting module name: gcswf32.dll, version: 10.2.154.12, time stamp: 0x4d4bb77d

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x003b9ef7

Faulting process id: 0x950

Faulting application start time: 0x01cbcd140681ac02

Faulting application path: C:\Users\cybert\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Users\cybert\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\9.0.597.98\gcswf32.dll

[** another crash log]

Faulting application name: iexplore.exe, version: 8.0.7600.16722, time stamp: 0x4d0c2f29

Faulting module name: Flash10m.ocx, version: 10.2.152.26, time stamp: 0x4d4b5d09

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x003c2637

Faulting process id: 0x13d8

Faulting application start time: 0x01cbcd13de16cd56

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash10m.ocx

Report Id: 2c2a3ab5-3908-11e0-80fd-00238b5cbd82

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2011 Feb 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

go to adobe.com and update

de salud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 16, 2011 Feb 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These findings are with the latest Flash Player, so "go to adobe.com and update" is not the solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2011 Mar 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same to me aswell...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I have to say that I seem to have no problem with Adobe Flash Player 10.2.152.32

I have Vista Home Premium 32 bit with Vista Pack 2

Use IE7 (still)

I seem to  be able to go to facebook and play facebook games, go to youtube, look at video content on other pages

Only problem I have is taht sometiems downloading the newest flash player fromthe adobe site, I have some hang ups with adobe download manager

but even yetserday, all that went smooth

now maybe I just do simple things and thats why I don't run into issues, but so far Adobe Flash Player 10.2.152.32  works fine for me

just my two cents

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RibbyP, Thanks for your two cents. Evidently your Flash Player 10.2.152.32  didn't have the "bug" in it:-) From all of the messages I have read on many of the threads here, I got the opinion that FP's latest version wouldn't work on "any" operating system.

I sort of found that hard to believe since many users, like yourself are having no problem. Since FP is a browser plugin and works thru the browser, perhaps you don't have your browser loaded with conflicting addons/Toolbars, etc.

Internet Explorer doesn't need one addon at all and it works perfectly. However, Flash content is almost everywhere, so Flash Player is desired. Addons are personal preferences after all. However many conflict.

Glad you posted your two cents.

P.S. The DLM can cause an issue, glad it finally worked for you.

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eidnolb wrote:

Hi RibbyP, Thanks for your two cents. Evidently your Flash Player 10.2.152.32  didn't have the "bug" in it:-) From all of the messages I have read on many of the threads here, I got the opinion that FP's latest version wouldn't work on "any" operating system.

I sort of found that hard to believe since many users, like yourself are having no problem. Since FP is a browser plugin and works thru the browser, perhaps you don't have your browser loaded with conflicting addons/Toolbars, etc.

Internet Explorer doesn't need one addon at all and it works perfectly. However, Flash content is almost everywhere, so Flash Player is desired. Addons are personal preferences after all. However many conflict.

Glad you posted your two cents.

P.S. The DLM can cause an issue, glad it finally worked for you.

Regards,

eidnolb

Hi eidnolb,

Once again you misunderstand the issue raised in this orginal thread post. It is not that the flash plugin does not work all of the time. It just does not work when it executes a specific type of code, so therefore only on specific swf's. Hence not everyone is effected.

Like i said before, i challenge you to open this swf in your browser and click on the "Crash Flash" button :

http://files.chesscube.com.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Crasher.swf

And then post your results in this forum.

Please stop denying this issue and sending people down a wild goose chase, event Adobe Developers like "Hitomi Kudo" admit there is a problem with this version and they are not currently looking into it, see : http://forums.adobe.com/message/3509371#3509371

Regards Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael- I have not tried the site you refer to. If it will crash my browser, it would just freak me out, so I'm not borrowing trouble

I have a hard enough time being paranoid with  things as they are

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RibbyP wrote:

Michael- I have not tried the site you refer to. If it will crash my browser, it would just freak me out, so I'm not borrowing trouble

I have a hard enough time being paranoid with  things as they are

Lol RibbyP,

Well it shouldn't crash your browser, if you are using Chrome or Firefox, just your flash plugin container (which is not that much beter ..).

The good news is that the next version of flash in Adobe labs does not seem to have the same issue:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplatformruntimes/incubator/

So heres hoping that this bug has been resolved!

Regards Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Touche', Michael, you hit the nail on the head.  AND, it gets very confusing for many people to have to start a new thread when we're all talking about the same problem, anyway.

Warmly,

Vicki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike, Regarding chesscube and their nasty, insulting remarks on the threads that they have replied to and those that have been created on the Flash Forum....I wouldn't visit their site at anytime, for any reason whatsoever.

Some of their insulting uncalled for remarks have been removed from the Flash Forum.

This discussion on code/fixes, etc should have been directed to the appropriate Adobe Forum as they were advised to do.

The end user, which the Flash Forum pertains to, is not helped by code discussion nor is it helpful for the end user to be directed to that particular website.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eidnolb wrote:

Hi Mike, Regarding chesscube and their nasty, insulting remarks on the threads that they have replied to and those that have been created on the Flash Forum....I wouldn't visit their site at anytime, for any reason whatsoever.

Some of their insulting uncalled for remarks have been removed from the Flash Forum.

This discussion on code/fixes, etc should have been directed to the appropriate Adobe Forum as they were advised to do.

The end user, which the Flash Forum pertains to, is not helped by code discussion nor is it helpful for the end user to be directed to that particular website.

eidnolb

Hi eidnolb,

eidnolb wrote:
Regarding chesscube and their nasty, insulting remarks on the threads that they have replied to and those that have been created on the Flash Forum....

Which insulting remarks did chesscube make, becuase that is out of line.

eidnolb wrote:

Eidnolb, the end user IS affected, because when they visit a site which crashes their flash plugin, this bug could be the reason why it is happening, and it is not the site developers fault but a bug in flash 10.2 itself. Keeping them informed of this and what their options are is a good thing. Blaming it purely on their installation or configuration every time is not useful, because it has nothing at all to do with that. The end user wants to know why it is happening now and what they can do to fix it.

Some end users will just want to avoid the sites with the problem, but others actually want to use that specific site and want to know what they can do and these are their options if it turns out to be this particular bug:

1) Notify Adobe with the crash log and the step to reproduce it

2) Notify the site of the issues and forward them to a possible code workaround which Chesscube have posted

3) Downgrade their flash plugin to 10.1 or install the latest 10.2 flash debug plugin if they want to continue to use that site.

Like i said, this has been reported to Adobe and they have now come forward and said it is a real bug/issue and they are looking into resolving it. Which is a great thing for everyone, developers and end users. And this is thanks to people at ChessCube and other sites reporting this problem and pointing out what exactly is going wrong. So i don't know what is wrong with that!

eidnolb wrote:
I wouldn't visit their site at anytime, for any reason whatsoever.

Eildnolb, having knowledge of this bug can also help you if you really want to help the end user, which i think you do. So testing out this flash swf and validating that this is a real issue or not, will help you do that. Once again, here it the link : http://files.chesscube.com.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Crasher.swf

Please remember we are all on the same team, we all love the flash plugin and we all want to ensure the end user has a good user experience. And if they have any issues, we all want to find a pragmatic solution!

Regards

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2011 Mar 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey guys, i wanted to know if flash crash just the browser or the entire system

because to me it's the entire system to crash, the screen becomes black and i can't do anything but reset the pc. and this really screws up my pc

sorry for my english

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People report different situations. On my PC, Flash player crashes the whole system, the screen freezes and Windows becomes totally unresponsive. I just have to turnoff the computer.

Sergio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm starting to think that the problem with flash is due to some graphic cards (ati hd series maybe?), i have an ati radeon hd 2400

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have ATI (Mobility Radeon HD serie-5). Anyway ATI cards are probably the most commonly used, and Adobe is well aware of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have NVIDIA GeForce 310m, I suppose your graphic card may have additional

conflicts with adobe, but this is really problem that they created, not your

graphic card...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2011 Mar 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Agnisia for your reply.

I'm also quite sure that problem is made by Flash Player, not by graphic cards of any manufacturer. Maybe exist some configuration/setting in ATI/Nvidia panels able to prevent computer freezes or browser crashes... but this is NOT a solutions, because Adobe can't expect users set or disable anything just to satisfy their reader lacks. Also I don't want change the card because I can't change it (I'm using notebooks, not laptops) and Chrome doesn't solves in my case (I tried it already) also because I guess it uses Adobe Plugin extacly as Firefox, Maxthon and others.

Actually I have had to downgrade the Player at version 10.0, as I said before, even if this means to work with an old and not-completely-safe version. But I can't accept that the whole system crashes for any stupid Flash movie embedded anywhere in the page.

Have care too,

Sergio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the problem is definitively flash player, but maybe with your hardware is

creating more conflicts, i have intel hd graphics and NVIDIA GeForce 310M, but

you won't change your graphic card, because of Adobe, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Sergio,

i don't know on what does it depend, i don't have your details, the other

solution is to wait for a new release and meanwhile using google chrome, which

is using its own player, take care, Agnisia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

only my browser was crashing, your issue is much more serious, but i don't have

your details, you can try my solution, but , if it doesn't work for you, use

google chrome meanwhile, it's uses its own player, take care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 08, 2011 Mar 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mike_brewer wrote:

Please remember we are all on the same team, we all love the flash plugin and we all want to ensure the end user has a good user experience. And if they have any issues, we all want to find a pragmatic solution!

Hi Mike, thanks for posting this comment, along with the detailed info and steps for your crash bug!  We all want Flash to work and I appreciate all the help our user's give the community!

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is very nice to hear that someone is having good luck with the new Flash Player.  Thanks for adding this info; it does help.

fairplay08

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RibbyP wrote:

Now I have to say that I seem to have no problem with Adobe Flash Player 10.2.152.32

I have Vista Home Premium 32 bit with Vista Pack 2

Use IE7 (still)

I seem to  be able to go to facebook and play facebook games, go to youtube, look at video content on other pages

Only problem I have is taht sometiems downloading the newest flash player fromthe adobe site, I have some hang ups with adobe download manager

but even yetserday, all that went smooth

now maybe I just do simple things and thats why I don't run into issues, but so far Adobe Flash Player 10.2.152.32  works fine for me

just my two cents

Hi RibbyP,

This specific bug (not "bug" - eidnolb) is limited to when a specific programming language features is used in a swf. That is why on some sites you do not have any issues and others you do. It is not because your flash player does not have the bug.

Try this example swf RibbyP and see if yours does not crash (but that would be a first on 10.2.152.32).

http://files.chesscube.com.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Crasher.swf

The good news is that one of the Adobe flash developers contacted me saying that they are looking into this bug: (http://forums.adobe.com/message/3509371#3509371)

So hopefully this will be resolved soon

Regards Michael

ps : more details on it is found here : http://forums.adobe.com/thread/795395?tstart=0

pps: This bug is not present in the Adobe Flash debug client which is quite interesting...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess I'm just  a simple man that goes to simple sites

Just looking at my facebook, youtube, and those things

Now the bad part is, will there be yet another flash player update to

10o.ocx?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines