• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Optimizing CF using 'NOLOCK' in queries

Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2006 Jul 11, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been considering using the 'nolock' hint in most of my sql queries with sql server 2005 to speed up my ColdFusion app. But I have some questions/concerns however:

1. I see on Microsoft's site that 'nolock' is deprecated and will not be available in some future release of SQL Server (doesn't say which one) and it will need to be removed from all code at some point. I don't want an application full of code that will break in the future should an upgrade take place without people being aware of the potential problem.

2. Is there any good reason not to just use the command SET READ UNCOMMITTED ON before each transaction? Shouldn't this provide the same effective results but not have the 'future deprication' issue?

3. Is there a way to reset the default isolation level for a given database to READ UNCOMMITTED so I do not have to specify it in every connection?

Does anyone have any advice or experience regarding this? My objective is to speed up the delivery of database-driven content but I don't want to cause problems down the road. Also, I'm not concerned with data integrity (dirty reads are ok).

Thanks.

Scott
TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a solid schema, appropriate indexes, and write efficient queries you shouldn't have much of a problem with speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks for the observations.

Any thoughts *specifically* related to the points in my post?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation