• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

some TOC not publishing

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2011 Mar 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, I hope you might be able to help.

Working at a new job, doing customer support, and trying to utilize a system I am unfamiliar with: RoboHelp. (A little different than the Creative Suite type tools that I am familiar with.)  I am creating a WebHelp (not pro), help system for a newer product. Because this is my first build with something like RoboHelp, I am sure that I am not doing it correctly, but cannot determine what I am doing wrong.

I have two TOC's (on the same 'level', one for one user type, and second for another user type) but only the first one publishes.

Should I have more than one TOC 'nested' under a single larger one? Or am I misusing the concept of TOC altogether?

Would appreciate any help or guidance you could provide.

Thank you,

- Zhirem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community

What version of RoboHelp are you using? Where did you define the two TOC structures? What are you expecting to see in the output?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies folks. Am using RH8.0.2.208 (I think).

And for now, I have been reading the online help guide that comes (?) with the installation (I think.)

I am not sure where I defined the two TOC structures, and am now getting to the material in the help system about working with topics, TOC's and indexes. I think I may be mis-using the TOC functionality.

As for output, I just expected to see the files linked via the TOC, (the first one is just fine, and is what I expected). The second should be listed right below the first, and have similar content. The individual topic pages of the second are there and complete (in RH8), but not generated (or so it appears) on the publish.

So, I think it likely best that I read through that online content first, before I ask more silly questions.

Well, ok, maybe one more silly question:

Trying to put together user-type manuals for an web application. Using RH8 HTML, and just the normal WebHelp as primary output. I was trying to use a TOC for each user type, but I should probably structure my project differently. My guess is that I am not doing that, and I am defeating some of RH8's capability or not building the thing correctly.

So, I will read a little more, and see if I get an 'aha' moment or the like. And if not, I will post up more detailed information about what I am trying to do.

Thanks again for the help, and I hope that I can learn what I need to.

- Zhirem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello again

You might consider acquiring a guide that will walk you through the process of building a project. There are a few out there. I sell one that you download immediately and IconLogic sells one that is printed and they ship to you.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zhirem,

Welcome to the community. First of all, what version of RoboHelp are you using?

The table of contents shows which pages your user can open. This does not affect which topics are copied to your output. (If you are using RoboHelp 9, you can choose to exclude all topics that are not in the TOC and so control what is exported.)

To create multiple exports from one project, be it multiple output types of multiple outputs of the same type, such as webhelp. Check the Single Source Layouts pod. Here you define the outputs. Open the properties of the source you are creating (probably the one with the text Primary Layout behind it.). In the layout you define what is included in your output and among other things which TOC you want to use. You can create multiple layouts with different TOC's. You exclude pages and text based on conditional tags. If you use RoboHelp 9, you can also use Dynamic User Centric Content to create multiple outputs in one.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, based on your responses, I think I am not structuring the project correctly. I am not trying to do anything with Conditional Builds and have just a single output type I want, the WebHelp. So, I think I may start a new project and have 'one' TOC and find another way to group topics (or pages) together for my 'user guides'.

Thanks again for the reply,

- Zhirem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp