• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move Tool does not move layer when dragging with Wacom tablet

Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2010 Aug 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the trial version of CS5 (probably going to upgrade at the end of the trial), and I've only found one thing about it that I don't like more than CS3. This is VERY VERY annoying, and I'm not sure if it's a glitch, or just a preference that needs to be reset:

When using the move tool, I will move something and it will just snap back to where it originally was. When it snaps back, it might move a few pixels over in the direction I was dragging, but it is definitely not moving to where I want it to go. The only way to get things to move the way I want to is by Free Transform...but it's annoying, when you're trying to design a layout, to have to free transform every element you want to move, first.

I'm guessing that this is a glitch because sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't...it's pretty random. I've tried turning Snap on and off, and nothing changes. Any idea how to fix/change this?

~Mike

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 09, 2012 Mar 09, 2012

Hello,

I think I may have found the culprit. I started using Adobe PS CS 5 Extended the same day I received the Wacom Intuso 4 (about one year ago) and NEVER had a problem until last month when I added Adobe PS CS5 into the application section, see below.

This is the ONLY change that I made to my wacom settings beside the typical button layout.

Screen Shot 2012-03-09 at 3.16.13 PM.png

I just tested this out. I removed the Adobe Photoshop CS5 from the field Application field and restarted Photoshop WITH the tablet plugged in. Now, I can

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 144 Replies 144
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has happend to me also. I just quit out of Photoshop and restart the program and its goes away.

Also, you can quit out of your program...then hold down the "shift, control, cmd" key to reset all your preferences to the default. This won't affect your "workspace" if you have created one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can happen if you drag and the cursor ends up over a panel or other GUI element. Make sure you're not letting go of the mouse when the cursor is over one of these areas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2010 Aug 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, this wasn't the problem either.

I think I found the solution, though...although the solution definitely sounds like this is a glitch in CS5 that needs to be fixed.

I have a Wacom Intuous4 tablet installed. When I try to use the move tool and drag it around with my Wacom mouse, it works fine. When I try to move something around with the trackpad (which I do frequently after I've entered in some keyboard shortcuts), it has the snapback problem.

So I think that maybe the problem is: when you have a tablet installed, the mouse works and the trackpad stops working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like a driver problem. See if the trackpad and/or the tablet have updates on their websites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated my drivers, problem still exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or you're leaving the pen in to close of proximity of the tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pen is in the holder, which is on the other side of my desk. Don't think that is the problem.... also, when the pen is too close, that prevents the mouse from moving effectively. It does not affect the trackpad, which is the problem.

I'm using a MacBook Pro with the most recent version of SnowLeopard, if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2010 Aug 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same CS5 trackpad drag problem.  It seems as if there is a problem within CS5 that after a period of time it seems to have trouble with the glass touchpad on the macbook pro unibody, and doesnt recognize the difference between the button and the pad, so when you release something you drag it snaps back to it's original position because it thinks you are touching two place on the pad....  that's my best guess.   My work arounds have been quiting the program and reopening seems to fix it, or just using my tablet.   It happens for me with or without the tablet, so the tablet is just a work around.  It is a very consistent problem.

MBP 10.6.4 unibody

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 03, 2010 Sep 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we may know what's going on here. Are there docked panels above the area you are trying to drag objects?

This thread describes a similar problem dragging doc to doc or doc to desktop, but the same issue affects moving layers in a document located in the same area.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/713999?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought that might be the problem seeing the link you posted, but unfortunately it's not. I tried doing that in CS5 and it moved into th

at area perfectly when I used the mouse, but same problem when I tried with the trackpad. I also tried moving the layer in the other direction (so it wasn't overlapping the area), but it did the same jerk-back problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I think we may know what's going on here. Are there docked panels above the area you are trying to drag objects?

I found this to be true, dragging within the same restricted area below expanded panels doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would that explain why it will drag fine with the tablet but not the trackpad?

Also the problem goes away after quitting and restarting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

drag within a document over the "protected" area doesn't work for me with either tablet or mouse, and restarting PS has no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2010 Sep 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe this is the problem in my case. Everytime I restart photoshop the problem goes away, then after a certain amount of time the problem recurs. I don't have anything protected or docked. I am using a tablet to draw, and I occasionally use the text tool to label something, I can also move the layer with the tablet but not the trackpad. So would something be locked for the trackpad and not the tablet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2012 Feb 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem a million times and the pen location never mattered. However this last time it was sitting next to the tablet, and when I moved it the problem went away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2012 Feb 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InsomniaGFX, was the tablet close to a monitor/Loudspeaker? Anything that could cause an interference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2010 Sep 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem. I´m using a full version of cs5, educational, but still. Very annoying. I´m using a wacom too usually, but it´s switched off and in my bag, so can´t be the pen or whatever..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2010 Sep 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same problem as described here and I too have a macbook pro unibody and a wacom tablet.  I don't know who's at fault but I can't help think it's Adobe seeing that before upgrading to CS5 from CS4 I didn't experience this problem but had the same computer and tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2010 Sep 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i also seem to be able to select transform object and then I can move the object with the trackpad when this problem occurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2013 Aug 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that's a nice workaround! I have the same problem the poster had - randomly, the trackpad stops working with the move tool and objects snap back to where they were when I try to move them, even when my Wacom Bamboo and stylus are across the room in my computer bag! (Macbook Pro unibody, OS 10.6.8). Restarting helps but then the problem returns. Fine when I've got my tablet plugged in because the tablet will work with the move tool, but, like right now when it's not plugged in and I don't want to restart PS, I'm SOL - saved by your suggestion! Interesting that "scott w" with an Inutos tablet had the same problem (his solution didn't work for me).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 27, 2013 Aug 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the wacom latest driver installed? (what version of the driver are you running?)

Did you try this solution that worked for other users: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4256189#4256189

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2013 Sep 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just started experiencing this with Photoshop CC, Mac Pro, intuos 4.  Command-T is not a good solution because I don't want to move these particular objects off the pixel grid, though still want the ability to move off the pixel grid sometimes.  Updating to the newest intuos driver doesn't help. Command+ Command- seems to temporarily fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 01, 2013 Oct 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey, what solution specifically are you pointing to?

What stood out for me was this post from 16 months ago:

107. Brett N,

Mar 12, 2012 11:53 AM    in reply to numeroeins

I'm currently in communication with some folks from Wacom. We are able to reproduce the issue (both at Adobe and Wacom) and are currently investigating.

So, what have you all come up with? What's the fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines