2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2009 8:26 AM by JustIn Time

Problem Loading External SWFs

SeedofHope
      Hi:

I have a swf (we'll call it the "player") that loads external swfs into itself (using loadMovie). The Player loads the external swfs in sequence one at a time as it hits a point on the main timeline.

Basically, when the Player reaches Frame 10 on the main timeline, it will load external swf A and play it. Once swf A completes, on it's last frame, swf A calls a function on the main timeline that returns it back to the Player's main timeline. The Player continues to the next Frame 20 where an external swf B is loaded (Frame 20). Once swf B completes, on it's last frame, swf B calls a function on the main timeline that returns it back to the Player's main timeline. The Player continues to the next Frame 30 where an external swf C is loaded (Frame 20). And so on....

OK, all of this works great. The external swfs load and play with no problem.

OK, here's the issue. When swf A completes, there is a brief "flash" when swf B loads. The same is true when swf B completes, there is a brief "flash" when swf C loads. These "flashes" are not seen in the transition between slides that fade out to fade in. For example, swf D has an Alpha fade from 100 to 0 at the end of that swf. Swf E has an Alpha fade from 0 to 100 when it starts. Therefore you don't see the "flash" in the transition between swf D and E. However, swfs A and B do not fade out/in and the "flash" is very evident in the transition.

So my question is, how do I get rid of these "flashes" when loading?

Thanks,
      Loren
        • 1. Re: Problem Loading External SWFs
          ricklecoat Level 1
          Loren;

My guess would be that the flashes are the absence of an swf as one unloads and the other loads. Of course swf A unloads instantly but swf B might take a moment to load its data. Maybe there is something you can do with preloaders to get around this problem; perhaps you could make the first frame of swf B look the same as the last frame of swf A and have swf B pause on frame 1 until it's finished loading? Maybe that would do it.

Of course, it might be something entirely different causing your flashes. I'm new to Flash and Actionscript, so do take anything I say with a pinch of salt! Off the top of my head that's all I can think of, though.

Hope this helps;
          Rick
          • 2. Re: Problem Loading External SWFs
            JustIn Time

Loren, I think Rick is right about the absence of flash loaded.

I avoid this flashes using backgroung color(s)

Each new flash loading will cause "flash" before it is loaded. So under the loading area you should use white background or

set the background of loaded movies to match your loading area. I think little experimenting with colors and preloaders will return with positive result.

Good luck

Justin Time