• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

hi. olddummy here lost and confused as always

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2011 Mar 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased flex builder 4 the other day and it arrived with a cd for coldfusion.  I have installed coldfusion four or five times now and am completely unable to get the services to start or a server to be recognized.  I have apache 2.2.16 running on my machine. I have installed the runtime folder into the coldfusion builder folder and run the appropriate .bat file.  I cannot find a security file that matches the name given in the installation instructions.

I was pleasantly suprised to find that my purchase included this extra tool, but it is now driving me insane.

Any help would be appreciated.  I recognize that i have probably overlooked something simple and would be grateful for any help anyone can offer.

cheers.

TOPICS
Builder

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might start by reviewing the "Web Server Management" section of th CF documentation.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusion/9.0/Admin/WSc3ff6d0ea77859461172e0811cbf364104-7ffd.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait... did it come with a CD for ColdFusion?  Or ColdFusion Builder?  I suspect it is the latter, and there is a big difference.

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2011 Mar 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it came with cold fusion builder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So do you even have ColdFusion installed? Again, ColdFusion is different from ColdFusion Builder and it does not come with Flash Builder. So if you did not actively go out and download and install ColdFusion then you are completely wasting your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So why not make that clear in the installation instructions.

They sent me this disk that is useless unless i purchase another product.

Four completely wasted days.

Sure this is my fault but they sucked me in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you buy tires and expect them to come with a car?  ColdFusion Builder is a development environment for ColdFusion server.  I fail to see it as misleading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also - you do not have to purchase anything.  ColdFusion can be run locally in development mode completely free.  You don't need to purchase a license until you're ready to install it on a production server.  Even then you could simply purchase shared/dedicated hosting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i didn't buy the tyres, they were sent to me.

completley useless without the car eh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

olddummy wrote:

i didn't buy the tyres, they were sent to me.

completley useless without the car eh.

True, but you don't necessarily need to own the car, if you happen to have a contract with a group who share the use of a car with you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, but the tires had been sent out to someone claiming to be a car dealer, hadn't they?  Or if not a car dealer, then at least someone who had claimed to have some familiarity with the concept of "cars".  So it was entirely reasonable for Adobe to assume you'd know what they were for, or it would occur to you to find out.

The fact of the matter is that CFB is a completely stand-alone product... you don't  need to configure the server connectivity to work.  Indeed, I don't configure the server stuff (for reasons not relevant to this situation).  CFB is a plug-in to Eclipse which is designed for expediting writing CFML code.  And one can do that without setting up server connectivity.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all for your input.

I apologize profusely for my rant.

I accept fully that i was at fault.

Thank you for your time.

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is entirely your own fault, as yourself and others have said.  But no, Adobe have not sucked you in: as with everything, there is an assumed minimum level of competency.  The assumption here is that if you were to know nothing about CFB, then you might do some research into what it is before trying to use it.  I mean... did you not try to find out what ColdFusion was?  It seems hollow for me to suggest I don't eman that to sound rude, but I honestly don't.

So, anyhow... here we are.  let's not dwell on the past.

What is it you want to get out of this exercise involving CF & CFB & stuff?  We can surely help you along, but it really will take a bit more of a concerted effort to find out what you're dealing with on your part, too.

But bring it on...

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hang on a second, I had just purchased Flash builder

i recieved a disc with a product on it with my purchase.

Whoopee i thought free unasked for gift.  (this was obviously greed inspired optimism) but

i inserted the disc i selected stand alone installation.  Pardon me for expecting it to be a full program.

But the thing is i do not know why they would send it to me.

And yes i went to the adobe getting started site and saw how with CFB i could to do wonderful things.

Which made me think i would like to learn to use it.

So my knowledge of the product was nil.  accepted

That was why I used the installation guide.

Any way thank you for your time and for saving wasting mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

olddummy wrote:

Pardon me for expecting it to be a full program.

It is a full program.  There are plenty of ways to use ColdFusion, without you personally running a ColdFusion server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a full product.

Is PhotoShop not a full product because it doesn't come with photos to edit? It's pretty useless without photos. Oh but that's different right, cause you don't need ot buy photos, right?  Oh but you need a camera to take photos, so perhaps Photoshop should come with a camera to make it less useless.

Sorry to hear you didn't like your free software. I understand why you got confused, you inferred the completely wrong idea of what CFb was. Things like that happen. I don't know that there is much anyone can do about preventing things like that in the future. I've not heard of anyone else having such confusion, so I am guessing it is pretty rare.

You may think that a possibly solution would be for Adobe to say something like "This product requires ColdFusion Server to be useful" or some other verbiage like that, but, in fact, that is simply not true. CFB is a full product and does not require ColdFusion server to work. You can write complete programs without CF. Granted, you cannot run them without the server, but that does not mean you need to buy anything. You could have CF hosting, you could be using someone else's CF server, or you could just be using the free developer edition.

You made a mistake, you wasted time through misunderstanding. It happens to all of us at some point. You'll get over it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation