• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio timeline snapping - way to turn it off?

Oct 09, 2010 Oct 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate how in all the NLE's I've edited in, when I want to sync something perfectly to the audio and I zoom into the timeline to see the wave of the audio... it will only snap according to those vertical lines - and I don't want that, what if I want free control of where I want to move my cursor on the audio.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

TOPICS
How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Oct 09, 2010 Oct 09, 2010

You can easily turn on and off 'Snapping' by clicking on the horseshoe (magnet) shaped icon in the top left of the timeline panel.   Here is a screenshot... the icon is near  the top left, under 00;00;00;00:

snapping.png

With snapping off, you will be able to freely move audio or video by hand, to any frame.  The more you zoom with snapping turned off,  the more accurate you can be.

Hope that helps,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
Oct 09, 2010 Oct 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can easily turn on and off 'Snapping' by clicking on the horseshoe (magnet) shaped icon in the top left of the timeline panel.   Here is a screenshot... the icon is near  the top left, under 00;00;00;00:

snapping.png

With snapping off, you will be able to freely move audio or video by hand, to any frame.  The more you zoom with snapping turned off,  the more accurate you can be.

Hope that helps,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2010 Oct 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro can even take it a bit farther than most NLEs as when you turn off snapping, the audio will not 'snap to the edge of other clips, but you can magnify the timeline only down to frame increments in most video editing applications, and the most precise you can move/alter audio is in video frame increments.

If you go to the upper -right- of the same sequence panel, there's the panel menu (or window menu or whatever it's called now...it was windows, then panels and panes...), each panel has a panel function specific menu in the upper right corner...and select "audio units".  Now the audio can be moved, cut, and manipulated down to the audio sample or millisecond level (selectable in the prefs).  If you want "perfect" sync...in Premiere Pro you can achieve it -on the video editing timeline-.  In most workflows, you're off to the digital audio workstation app to do this type of work.

Also...when you're cutting that music bed to length but chopping/looping the center?  If you're a musician like me, finding the loud noise under which to hide the off-beat collision that used to have to pass for an edit if you didn't have time to work the music in your audio application used to be a pretty painful compromise...I haven't had to make that compromise since early 2003.

(...this capability has been in Premiere Pro since the "Pro" was added...approaching 8 years ago.  I run into people every day who still don't know this capability even exists.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 04, 2011 Mar 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim kolb, you are a life-saver ... I can now keep my hair on my head and not in bunches on the studio floor where it falls when I tear it out in frustration.

Thank you!

Only question is - why is it SOOooo hard to find in the help menus? Oh well, I guess there's no answer to that .... I'm just light-headed with relief!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You point up my biggest complaint with Help files. One must know the term, for which to Search. Armed with Tim's, and others' keywords, "Audio Units," "Snap," and even "SMPT," that Search becomes a bit easier. [However, I do embrace the ability to instantly update the Help files, when online, so there is a tradeoff.]

One rec. that I can make is Adobe Classroom in a Book Premiere Pro CS5, Adobe Press. The author covers the Audio editing in PrPro pretty well.

Glad that Tim was able to point you in just the right direction.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad to be helpful...every once in a while we get one we can solve.

To be honest, I've been doing PPro training products for every rev, and I'm not even certain I cover this feature in a lot of depth any more as it's been in there so long, it's easy to just take it for granted if you've been a PPro user for a while.

It happens to be one feature that I think Adobe should still include in demos...this feature continues to be "discovered" by users once a week it seems...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 06, 2011 Mar 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim, are you by chance related to Tom Kolb, the guitarist and guitar tutor? Are you, in fact, the same person in a wig?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2011 Mar 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kusumas <forums@adobe.com> wrote: "Tim, are you by chance related to Tom

Kolb, the guitarist and guitar tutor? Are you, in fact, the same person in a

wig?"

If you'd ever heard me play guitar, I suspect the confusion would end right

there... My primary instrument is actually percussion. (I also enjoy

playing my guitars, but it's mostly for my own interest and driving unwanted

guests from the house.)

--

TimK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 10, 2011 Mar 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just pointed the guy in charge of the Help document to this thread to see if he can make some changes to make this feature easier to find and use.

Here's the page that includes the information related to setting the time resolution to audio units:

"Set sample-based audio In and Out points"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2011 Mar 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that would be me. Expect an improvement to Help on this topic very soon.

Thanks guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

What happened to your badge and account? Did you get "Jived" today too?

Though far beyond the control of you Adobe gentlemen, Fridays seem to be particularly bad, at least for the last several weeks. Accounts come and go, and log-outs are common. Colin got "shape-shifted" today too.

Good luck, and thanks for taking a look at this,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I sometimes have trouble with the log-in for some reason. It should be OK now. Thanks Bill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

Here I thought that it was just us "mere users," who get Jived. It is strangely comforting to see that even the "high and mighty" can be affected too...

Nice to see the badge back.

Thanks,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2016 Sep 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Man. I KNEW there had to be a way to nudge the audio less than one "frame", but I'll be darned if I could find it. You saved my bacon. Thanks a ton.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2010 Oct 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Besides the Snap icon, you can toggle Snap ON/OFF with the S key. For Audio syncing, you might want to also change the TimeCode to Audio Units.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 22, 2010 Oct 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I'm not talking about that kind of snapping. Here is a capture I took of what I mean

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/9681/capf.png

you see the horizontal blue line, and the vertical grey lines it seems to attach to? Well THAT's what I'm talking about. The vertical RED slider will only

go where the HORIZONTAL blue line snaps to (which are the vertical GREY lines)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2010 Oct 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The horizontal blue line is showing that you are at the Frame level, and that is the Frame that the CTI is resting on.

With Snap ON, your Clip will want to go to the Frame boundary, and with it OFF, you can slide along, as you wish, though can obviously only do that at the Frame level, as one cannot have an increment that is less than a Frame for Video. Audio is another issue, as you can nudge it along by Audio Units (the frequency will depend on the Sample Rate), if you have changed the TimeCode to Audio Units.

Good luck, and hope that helps.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 23, 2010 Oct 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you do what Tim said in Post #2

If you go to the upper -right- of the same sequence panel, there's the panel menu (or window menu or whatever it's called now...it was windows, then panels and panes...), each panel has a panel function specific menu in the upper right corner...and select "audio units".  Now the audio can be moved, cut, and manipulated down to the audio sample or millisecond level (selectable in the prefs).  If you want "perfect" sync...in Premiere Pro you can achieve it -on the video editing timeline-.  In most workflows, you're off to the digital audio workstation app to do this type of work.

Your screenshot was not showing in "audio units"

GLenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While it is possible to nudge an audio clip if audio units are showing, even then I don't think the CTI itself will go anywhere but the frame level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True Jim.

I just thought he was trying to adjust the audio.

GLenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2010 Oct 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While it is possible to nudge an audio clip if audio units are showing, even then I don't think the CTI itself will go anywhere but the frame level.

No, when Show Audio Time Units are showing the CTI moves at sub frame level as well. That is, to move the CTI one (1) video frame you must press the arrow key 48000 times if using a 48Khz Timeline.

/Roger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes...once you turn "audio units" on, even the basic shuttle back and forth on the timeline becomes much more like a traditional tape machine...silky smooth sound.  (I suppose the machine has to be up to it, but not loading the sound in one-frame chunks is very helpful for finding a sound in the audio track...)

Now if we could somehow keep the counter to stay in frame mode unless we have some sort of audio clip selected...I'd stay in this mode all the time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found out, after you turn off your snap by pressing what should look like a magnetic horseshoe ( or just press "S" on your keyboard)

go to  the top right corner of every sequence , there should be a drop down menu, in that menu you will have to enable "Show Audio Time Unit" and in that same drop down menu you will click maximize frame (or you can press "Shift +") you wont be getting a visual preview but you will be allowed to move your video freely on the timeline. I edit music videos so this was key for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines