4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2011 8:03 PM by Owen Buddenbaum

Polygon limit in Director

RamjiKarma Level 1

Hi there.

I'm exploring the 3D features of Director. I would like to know the maximum polygon/triangle count that Director can handle. I have a model that has approximately 105000 polygons. I have previously used this model in Viewpoint Enliven and have considerable success there and now trying to replicate that using Director.

Can Director handle such high poly count? Also can I have interactive features using such(heavy) models?

Thanks and Regards,

• 1. Re: Polygon limit in Director
          Dee McDee Level 2

There is no set limit for the number of polygons, but as the polygon count increases, more powerful hardware is required to run the movie smoothly.

With a polygon count of over 100,000, I would say that is unlikely that a cheap laptop with integrated graphics could play your movie smoothly, but a desktop system with a Nvidia Fermi graphics card would have no problem.

• 2. Re: Polygon limit in Director

Shockwave3D is not really good at handling large amounts of polygons. Having 105000 Polygons is quite a large number and will not render at very high framerates. The Shockwave3D engine scales a lot with the hardware that is available. Poor hardware leads to poor performance.

Important is not the total polycount of the scene. It is a combination of different factors like:

- how many models are in front of the camera

- how many shaders are used

- how many textures are used

- few models with many polygons perform better then many models with few polygons

The there it all depends a lot on what sort of thing you want to do. If it is just a single model with 105000 polygons, then it could work out well.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Polygon limit in Director
              RamjiKarma Level 1

Hi There

@ Dee McDee and lw, thanks for your answers. I was looking out for these kind of solutions.

My scene is a model of a machinery that has many parts and sub parts and a lot of bitmap textures (the requirement was that way). So looks like its going to be a tough time viewing this scene across machines of different configurations. This same scene is displayed with relative ease by Viewpoint player.

I will try optimizing the model.

Thanks again.. :-)

• 4. Re: Polygon limit in Director
                Owen Buddenbaum Level 1

Theorically, if the camera doesn't walkthrough inside the scene, the number of triangles is not the problem in sw3d engine. it depends on the video card.

The 2 problems in sw3d are

- the number of models: shockwave makes a bruteforce z-order test between models.

- the number of meshes (sub-models with different shaders): for each model/shader combination, shockwave 3d recalls all the rendering api

Shockwave is supposed to display a small number of models and a small number of sub-models

So you gotta "remaster" your scene to optimize it for shockwave:

- merge as many models you can (if models a b c d e f... are static, merge them. if models g h i j k... are parts of a piece which can move, merge them...)

- merge textures on a large tileset. use a different material only if the rendering effect is different (transparent/opaque/shiny...)