4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2011 8:03 PM by Owen Buddenbaum RSS

Polygon limit in Director

RamjiKarma Community Member

Hi there.

I'm exploring the 3D features of Director. I would like to know the maximum polygon/triangle count that Director can handle. I have a model that has approximately 105000 polygons. I have previously used this model in Viewpoint Enliven and have considerable success there and now trying to replicate that using Director.

Can Director handle such high poly count? Also can I have interactive features using such(heavy) models?

Thanks and Regards,
      Ram

• 1. Re: Polygon limit in Director
          Dee McDee Community Member

There is no set limit for the number of polygons, but as the polygon count increases, more powerful hardware is required to run the movie smoothly.

With a polygon count of over 100,000, I would say that is unlikely that a cheap laptop with integrated graphics could play your movie smoothly, but a desktop system with a Nvidia Fermi graphics card would have no problem.

• 2. Re: Polygon limit in Director
            _lw Community Member

Shockwave3D is not really good at handling large amounts of polygons. Having 105000 Polygons is quite a large number and will not render at very high framerates. The Shockwave3D engine scales a lot with the hardware that is available. Poor hardware leads to poor performance.

Important is not the total polycount of the scene. It is a combination of different factors like:

- how many models are in front of the camera

- how many shaders are used

- how many textures are used

- few models with many polygons perform better then many models with few polygons

The there it all depends a lot on what sort of thing you want to do. If it is just a single model with 105000 polygons, then it could work out well.

regards,

lw

• 3. Re: Polygon limit in Director
              RamjiKarma Community Member

Hi There

@ Dee McDee and lw, thanks for your answers. I was looking out for these kind of solutions.

My scene is a model of a machinery that has many parts and sub parts and a lot of bitmap textures (the requirement was that way). So looks like its going to be a tough time viewing this scene across machines of different configurations. This same scene is displayed with relative ease by Viewpoint player.

I will try optimizing the model.

Thanks again.. :-)

Regards,
              Ramji

• 4. Re: Polygon limit in Director
                Owen Buddenbaum Community Member

Theorically, if the camera doesn't walkthrough inside the scene, the number of triangles is not the problem in sw3d engine. it depends on the video card.

The 2 problems in sw3d are

- the number of models: shockwave makes a bruteforce z-order test between models.

- the number of meshes (sub-models with different shaders): for each model/shader combination, shockwave 3d recalls all the rendering api

Shockwave is supposed to display a small number of models and a small number of sub-models

So you gotta "remaster" your scene to optimize it for shockwave:

- merge as many models you can (if models a b c d e f... are static, merge them. if models g h i j k... are parts of a piece which can move, merge them...)

- merge textures on a large tileset. use a different material only if the rendering effect is different (transparent/opaque/shiny...)