• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Index Keyword Removal

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2006 Jul 13, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to clear the index of all keywords in one sweep without having to delete each keyword one at a time? I inadvertently used the Search for Keywords in topic title and topic text instead of topic titles only. My index is now to cluttered.

Thanks in advance,

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John

Usually it's fairly easy and fast to simply select the first keyword, then press and hold the delete key on the keyboard until they all disappear.

There is another way, but by the time I could advise it and you would do it, you would already have them all deleted using the method I tossed out.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Chris, for the prompt response. I'm curious to know of the other method you had alluded to. I was hopeing there was a file that you could delete; kind of like deleting map files by deleting .hh files. Somehow I don't think it's that simple. In any case, I'm always eager to learn something new. Believe it or not, I'm holding the delete key with a pen cap. So far so good. I can go about my business and still delete the keywords.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again John

LOL, I'm not sure who Chris is, but I hope he is doing well.

Okay, indeed there is a "behind the scenes" file you can delete. But I don't think simply deleting it will suffice. The file typically has the same main file name as your project. For example, if your project is named BOFFO, you would find:

* BOFFO.XPJ (main project file)
* BOFFO.HHC (TOC file)
* BOFFO.HHK (Indek File)

and many others. Essentially you would need to replace the BOFFO.HHK file with a "Blank" file. I'm not sure how RoboHelp HTML would react if you truly deleted all the contents of the existing .HHK file. There is a certain structure present even when it's "Empty".

Hopefully this provided what you were looking for.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apology Rick, this index issue is killing me. It's causing me undo pain. I need to be more careful next time. I'm also going to try your second suggestion.

Thanks again Rick.

Regards,

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that must have resulted in one heckuva index!

Well, assuming you try deleting the file and things go wonky, I would then suggest creating a new blank project in a different folder. Then copy the index file from the new project to the current project. Of course you would want to rename the file to match the existing project. This way the base structure should be present.

Hmmm, making me think I should probably make this a scry item!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colleagues,

I'm pretty certain (but test it on something unimportant first) that you can

--close the RH project
-- delete the .HHC and/or .HHK files
-- open the RH project

and RH will create an empty Index and/or TOC.

However, this probably will not delete the old index references within the topics, if you had selected the option to put keywords in topics.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Give that man a cee-gar!

Indeed, I just tested with an existing project where I had not yet created an index.

I was a bit hesitant to simply suggest this, because I knew that at least earlier versions of RoboHelp (doesn't seem to be doing it here in X5 on my laptop) there used to be a backup copy of the HHC and HHK. So I figured that if the main was blitzed, the backup might haunt the project like a zombie.

Thanks for the prompt, Harvey! Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp