• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

McAfee installed when updating Reader

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2009 Nov 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone at Adobe realize how stupid and annoying it is that McAfee gets installed when updating Reader, unless you uncheck a box?  I live in Fremont and really feel like walking down to Adobe's headquarters and getting in someone's face about it.  Ditto for Flash updates, Google toolbar, etc.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Reader doesn't install McAfee. Mc Afee isn't a Adobe product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bernd Alheit wrote:

Adobe Reader doesn't install McAfee. Mc Afee isn't a Adobe product.

And you forgot to mention that McAfee is not a product either, same as Adobe isn't a product...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tsongas wrote:

Does anyone at Adobe realize how stupid and annoying it is that McAfee gets installed when updating Reader, unless you uncheck a box?

Where did you download it from. That isn't an option that I've ever seen.

tsongas wrote:

I live in Fremont and really feel like walking down to Adobe's headquarters and getting in someone's face about it.

Feel free but, I've been there. There doors are all locked and no one will answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2009 Nov 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Despite what the other responders have said, the Adobe Reader installer is most certainly installing McAfee Security Scan. I installed exactly one item last week: Adobe Reader. After the install was complete, I had two new items: Adobe Reader and McAfee Security Scan.

Moreover, in my Control Panel -> Programs and Features, the install dates are the same for Adobe Reader and McAfee Security Scan.

I bet it's related to the new big Adobe-McAfee alliance announced 2 months ago:

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200909/McAfeeIncandAdobetoProvideIntegratedSecuritySolutions.html

Now does anyone believe us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gre K wrote:

I bet it's related to the new big Adobe-McAfee alliance announced 2 months ago:

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200909/McAfeeIncandAdobe toProvideIntegrated...

Maybe but doubtful.

That announcement concerns the LiveCycle server products which is a secure digital rights management solution. I can see them teaming up with McAfee on that easy enough but forcing people without their knowledge to download the McAfee product with Reader wouldn't even be worth their time.

Not to mention it would be illegal. They have to warn you about it. So if they DO make you download McAffee with Reader, you'll at least see it buried in the user agreements (available in the Reader download area I believe) which, it isn't.

Now, if it was downloaded with a Windows update, I wouldn't be surprised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you go to http://get.adobe.com/reader/ from a Windows Vista PC (and maybe other versions of Windows), it's right there plain as day.

(They must be doing OS detection, because if I go to that URL from my Mac, it yields a different page.)

If you scroll down: "Install McAfee (optional)" is prechecked. Unfortunately, when you update from within a previous version of Reader, it does not take you to this page to allow you to opt out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gre K wrote:

if you go to http://get.adobe.com/reader/ from a Windows Vista PC (and maybe other versions of Windows), it's right there plain as day.

(They must be doing OS detection, because if I go to that URL from my Mac, it yields a different page.)

If you scroll down: "Install McAfee (optional)" is prechecked. Unfortunately, when you update from within a previous version of Reader, it does not take you to this page to allow you to opt out.

Well that's what I was wondering. Interesting to say the least.

I did the update (both Mac and Windows) and never got it though. Again, I would think they would have to warn you (even if it's not in an obvious spot) before they have you install a completely different application then what you are updating but...

Edit: After looking around a little, it appears to have something to do with the latest PDF vulnerability. Might be a good idea to have it since it looks like it's tailor made to find malicious PDF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2010 Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

someone said "might be a good idea because its tailor made for pdf files"

NO IT ISN'T A GOOD IDEA.

McCAFEE IS NEVER A GOOD IDEA !!

This is really infuriating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 28, 2010 Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lets get down to the real issue. If you approve an update of a program you cannot be expected to go searching to see if that approval is taken as approval to install some other software.If that was the case, the approval for one software will always involve digging to see if approval for anotherh software install was implied. One approval cannot be taken as an approval for installation of two applications.

Such an approach is dishonest, deceitful, unconscionable and departs from fair trading practices, as I understand them. It is expecially dangerous to allow a second program to install, because that might create instabilities or conflicts in the user's PC, such as reduced performance.

So if you suddenly find McAfee popping up, now you know why. Add you frustration here. Perhaps you are searching for 'secret install of mcacfee or macafee spyware, or unapproved install of mcafee - hopefully you can find this thread and record your protestations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2010 May 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gre K wrote:

Bingo.  It does NOT tell you McAfee products will be installed.  I intentionally did NOT want a second AV program on my machines, and now I have a dozen boxes where I have users asking me what this McAfee stuff is.  It's intrusive, and all I was guilty of doing was choosing to update within Reader 9.0.

This is aggravating.  I'm trying to keep up with a format riddled with security issues, doing my best to keep malware from spreading, and Adobe takes advantage by "marketing" its own form of malware.  Not cool.  I have enough performance-killing apps on my windows boxes to make up for a severe lack of security.  I don't need superfluous apps nagging users and trying to get someone to pay.  I have enough malware doing that, thanks.

Very weak, A.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 26, 2010 Jun 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very weak is an understatement. I am incenced to have to clean up after adobe, AGAIN. At first I didn't know how it got installed. Imagine how that feels, carefully running a high priority production PC and then suddently bammo - mcAfee is poping up in my face - is it spyware, malware, how the %$^&*( does one know. Do I trust the uninstall program??

I though guys like m cafee were in the business of PREVENTING shit from being installed on one's computer.

And another thing, this stupid screen editor doesn't show where the cursor is, how lame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2010 Jun 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to those who say it isn't happening..

G'dammit.. It is !!

I only registered here because I am so angry.

I hate McCafee.

Dell won't let me buy a computer without McCafee crap installed .

Now I go to update my Adobe reader owing to a Firefox prompt and without any warning at all I see I am getting more McCafee crap on my computer.

I didn't even have the option to uncheck a box. !!!!

WTF !!!

Adobe better smarten up on this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2014 Jan 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are totally right. I only registered here for the same reason, too.

Just to say: WTF Adobe? Why do you make me install this crap without consulting me???

Having several Antivir progs at the same time can even cause a lot of trouble!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2010 Aug 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with all the previous posts about the installation of McAfee because it happened to me too! I also feel that it is dishonest and a pain in the ass.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 30, 2010 Aug 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are against the installation of secondary software then there are many ways to make your feelings known to Adobe:

1) https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

2) A well reasoned letter sent to the CEO:

Adobe Systems Incorporated
345 Park Avenue
San Jose, CA 95110-2704

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2010 Dec 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MichaelKazlow wrote:

If you are against the installation of secondary software then there are many ways to make your feelings known to Adobe:

1) https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

2) A well reasoned letter sent to the CEO:

Adobe Systems Incorporated
345 Park Avenue
San Jose, CA 95110-2704

Sigh.

It didn't look like a complaints dept. to me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2010 Dec 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just upgraded my Adobe reader plug-in for Firefox as a result of a Plug-in check. I was astonished to see that an extra item, Macafee Security Scan

was downloaded as well and then installed without my being asked. I've just wasted all this time uninstalling this item and re-booting my netbook. I'm fuming that this occurred. Not only has this software been installed without my permission but it is from a vendor I would not, under any circumstances by a product from.

Much more importantly, it could seriously interfere with the Internet Security package I have installed. As the brainboxes at Abode should know you can only have one Internet Security package (Antivirus, firewall, antispam et all) running at a time. How irresponsible can a company of Adobe's standing get?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MickiTee wrote:

I've just upgraded my Adobe reader plug-in for Firefox as a result of a Plug-in check. I was astonished to see that an extra item, Macafee Security Scan

was downloaded as well and then installed without my being asked. I've just wasted all this time uninstalling this item and re-booting my netbook. I'm fuming that this occurred. Not only has this software been installed without my permission but it is from a vendor I would not, under any circumstances by a product from.

Much more importantly, it could seriously interfere with the Internet Security package I have installed. As the brainboxes at Abode should know you can only have one Internet Security package (Antivirus, firewall, antispam et all) running at a time. How irresponsible can a company of Adobe's standing get?

You probably won't get much help here.

I have done my due diligence on the adobe forum pages and it appears that obfuscation and denial are paramount here.

Users like ʇǝq ɹǝuı11ıʍ seem to be willing to do handflips to defend adobe and its practices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

annoyed231 wrote:

Users like ʇǝq ɹǝuı11ıʍ seem to be willing to do handflips to defend adobe and its practices.

You can burn Adobe's practices all you want (in fact, I would join you. I hate the practice of bundling software as well) but Pat has not "defended" anything as far as I can tell. He has simply explained what was happening in a few threads and has mentioned that he thought the practice was deplorable. If you think "deplorable" means "acceptable", you may want to update your dictionary.

At any rate, not a good idea to trash talk one of the more helpful people in these FREE forums that are run by USERS and not ADOBE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~graffiti wrote:

annoyed231 wrote:

If you think "deplorable" means "acceptable", you may want to update your dictionary.

At any rate, not a good idea to trash talk one of the more helpful people in these FREE forums that are run by USERS and not ADOBE.

Graffiti you are responding to someone who has arrived on the shores of this forum solely in response to one issue.

Every thread I have found relating to this issue has a response by ʇǝq ɹǝuı11ıʍ and in each he intimates that the people who have had these issues are at fault.

Perhaps he is helpful regarding other issues. I don't know.

I appreciate that these are user run forums. I frequently arrive at user run forums and find them very helpful.

If you would carefully read the posts condemning Adobe's practices in this regard you might begin to see a thread.

I don't see any instance in this thread where the word deplorable is used but in any case; one could still condemn something as deplorable while denying it exists and it appears there is a lot of denial happening here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2010 Oct 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I registered just to complain about the same thing.

And to the first two ignorant replies on this post, screw you! You try defending Adobe on something you have no knowledge about!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2010 Dec 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This same thing happened to me when updating 4 different computers.  NO CHECK BOX, it

just installed the McAfee shit.

This is ridiculous.  What the hell are they doing?  If I want McAfee, I'll go buy it.  McAfee is crap and I agree with the poster who also stated this.  I am now using Norton 2011 and was using 2010 version.  Norton has cleaned up their act and the software is no longer the resource hog it use to be and it's been getting very high ratings.

But back to the issue:  What the hell is Adobe pulling?  So I then had to go back in and remove McAfee.  Wonder how much crap is still residing on the systems that the windows uninstall feature can't remove?

Very ticked off!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2010 Dec 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stop installing McAfee with Adobe Reader!  I'm a big fan of Adobe's (being a Flash developer and all) but seriously, who is making these decisions at Adobe? 

VMware FusionScreenSnapz004.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 15, 2010 Dec 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jamie McDaniel wrote:

Stop installing McAfee with Adobe Reader!

But you are installing it!  The download links to the installers and updaters without bundled software are posted multiple times every day in this forum, yet people keep using the DLM and get unwanted software delivered with it.

Don't complain to us; complain to yourself, or complain to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines