• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import from Word- all links linking too low down so that bread crumbs don't display

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2011 Mar 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import from Word, all the links being created are linking to the topic title, instead of just to the topic:

e.g. href="CreateLineOfSight.htm #CreateLineOfSight">CreateLineOfSight</a></p></td>

As a result, whenever the topic is longish, opening the topic from the link displays it with the title at the top of the screen and the breadcrumbs hidden.

If I change the link to: href="CreateLineOfSight.htm">CreateLineOfSight</a></p></td> - without the #link , it opens properly.

Does anyone know how to import from Word so that it links as I require. And/or how to replace all these links to the topic title with just a link to the (top of the) topic?

I'm using RoboHelp 8

Thanks.

Ayelet

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ayelet,

are you converting the TOC generated inside word document itself and is the TOC generated at the TOP of the document ?

In such a scenario the TOC generated in Word document itself is the reason for this issue as the TOC itself point to that location!

One more thing to talk about, and that is my personal opninion is that when we move to online medium or even document for any hand held device we should keep our topics short, the reason is that even if we have bread crums those will get autoomatically hidden when we scroll down the topic if the topic is long.

So I would suggest you

1. Better do some style mapping to sute your online needs

2. Paginate the topic on the basis of style (like the one that has been used to generate the TOC) so that you have smaller and manageable/viewable topics

3. and after pagination Auto-generate the TOC inside RoboHelp after import

4. Can also generate mini TOC for better navigation, if you map your style to Headings style of RoboHelp and create mini TOC in the topic if it is long in place of the TOC generated in word

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your advice. Thing is I need a quick fix - don't have time to break up topics into smaller topics, and I don't have time to create a whole project layout in the project manager and then generate a toc based on this (is there an easy way to create the layout in the topic other than moving the hundreds of topics manually into folders). You asked whether my word TOC is generated at the TOP of the document - is that a significant detail?

Thanks.

Ayelet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 16, 2011 Mar 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Ayelet,

I think you miss took me you do not need to move anything here and there, there is a feature in RoboHelp to break the large word documents into smaller topics and you get this option while importing .

When you import any word document you get the two windows

1. first one called "Content setting" from where you must be converting the TOC

2. second one which is called Import and on this dialog you will find the "Edit" button and on clicking it you get the Conversion setting dialog

This Conversion setting dialog show all the paragraphs in your word document that you are importing and you can select any of them to break the large documents into smaller topic (by selecting pagination check box)

a new topic is generated from the start of every style that you selected for pagination.

and TOC auto create is a functionality of RoboHelp that you can find by right clicking on the TOC POD.

so you do not require any Herculean task to achieve this and you might also find some useful features inside this Conversion setting dialog too like glossary conversion!

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your time and replying so quickly. I am already familiar with the Conversion setting dialog and breaking the word doc into topics automatically when importing, the thing is I don't want to break certain topics into sub-topics- so I'm stuck with long topics - but I still want the link to open at the top (with breadcrumbs displayed). Now, are you saying that by auto-creating the TOC after import, I can achieve this. When I tried to auto-create, I got a long mess of topics not organized in books, according to my Word document structure. Don't I first need to create folders, and move around topics in the Project Manager in order to auto-create a usable TOC. Is there an easier way to do this?

Additionally, when I auto-created the TOC, it created a book for each heading2 and heading3 with the same text as a topic within the book. The book linked all the way to the top (like I need), while the topic within the book linked too low - how do I create just the link type that I need?

Thanks

Ayelet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ayelet,

now it seems the solution that you require is a bit clear to me, while Auto-creating TOC un-check the option to "Create TOC pages for mid topic links bookmarks" and then click OK then you will see a cleaner TOC which always links to top of the page

Hope it helps

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terrific solution - my topics do open that way at the top

BUT

Forgive my denseness, but I still don't see how to have my word doc structure automatically display in the Project Manager. When I import a Word doc, selecting the Pagination option in the Conversion Settings dialog for Heading 1 (I tried with and without), Heading 2 and Heading 3 - I get a whole list of topics in the Project Manager, in no particular order and not organized in folders and sub folders. When I auto-create a TOC, same thing - just a long list of topics with no hierarchy.

Thank you so much for your help.

Ayelet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Ayelet,

good to know it worked for you, but sorry to tell you that the other part you are talking about is not that straight to achieve,

while pagination of any word document there is no method to define at what level Folders can be generated or even which topics needs to go to which folder.

there could be few things you can try

1. Create a Folder in the Project manager and then import the word file(s)

a. Create new folder inside the above folders according to your requirement and move the topics inside them (which ever you want to have)

b. you can even have sub-Folders inside the folders created in step a if you want and move the topics in them according to your need

c. Then do an Auto-create TOC to get the hierarchy you want to have in the TOC too

2. another method is to directly generate the auto-created TOC and then create TOC book/sub-books and by moving TOC pages inside the books/sub-books you can achieve the hierarchy in the TOC POD as you desire, this will create the kind of output and TOC you want with minimal efforts.

Hope this helps

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp