• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing Topics on Opening

Mar 16, 2011 Mar 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RH 8 in Windows 7.

I opened a project this morning, and only a handful of topics are appearing in my Topic List.  All the topics are where they should be; the Topic List just isn't reading them.  When I open the CHM, though, I have images missing (images that aren't showing up in the topic list.  Could I have something set wrong?  I haven't changed anything "under the hood," so this was a real shock.  Any idea what might be going on?

Thanks,

Jeff Kersh

American HealthTech, Inc.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 16, 2011 Mar 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing...could I create a new project and import my files into that?  Would my TOC survive?  I have an uncorrupted CHM, which is now backed up everywhere I could put it , but I've restored from the HHP file before and every time I've had to rebuild the TOC - with roughtly 2500 topics, that's not something I want to do unless there is absolutely no alternative.  I'd rather fix it somehow, but we do what we must...

Jeff Kersh

American HealthTech, Inc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2011 Mar 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Hi, You do not want to import output files if there is any other way of restoring your project. Importing output files is a last, desperate measure.

First off, have you installed both patches. Patch 8.0.2. fixes a problem with disappearing files and folders. Install both patches before doing anyting else.

Secondly, is your project on a local disk or on a network drive. A network drive is a one way ticket to misery.

Now, follow the post: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3548482#3548482 My guess is that you have the exact same problem as described in this thread. See if that helps you. And to be on the safe side: Create a backup.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did everything in the post you referenced, and now I have no topics at all.  Are we supposed to troll the Adobe website for service releases?  Some of us have jobs that prevent us from hanging out. I installed the service release, deleted the CPD and FPJ files, and now I have nothing.  Your "fix" made things worse.  Can somebody please help me? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You did of course make a backup as mentioned in both posts before deleting those files, didn't you? The .fpj-files hold the directories and topics in your project. Deleting them will clean up your project very efficiently indeed. Restore the backup and try again. Did you follow the link to Peter's site? To be sure: http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/opening/opening_projects.htm

RoboHelp has an autoupdate feature. Look under Help > Updates. Be sure to install both patches first thing!http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/opening/opening_projects.htm

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did everything, step by step, and I went from a dozen categories to nothing.  That's where I am. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff

The people trying to help you also have jobs to do. You don't have to hang around the Adobe site or these forums to learn about updates. First RoboHelp should advise you an update is available and second it is easy enough to go to the Help menu say once a week to check if you don't trust notifications.

No one has lost any topics as a result of following the steps on my site. They were carefully verified with Adobe as well. The thread you looked at did have a post recommending uninstalling 802. That was incorrect advice and now that I have had the chance, I have deleted it.

If you have looked at the project in Windows Explorer and the topics are missing there and you have no backup of that you can use, the only thing I can suggest now is to use the CHM and see the Reverse Engineering topic on my site.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please don't misunderstand me; I know we all have jobs to do.  If I implied otherwise, it was totally unintentional.  All my files are where they should be; RH is just not reading them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2011 Mar 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So they are not showing in Project Manager but are present on the hard disk. Is anything showing under Broken Links?

If yes, repair as instructed on my site.

If no, it sounds like you need to import them back in.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp