Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop to Illustrator: background not transparent

Participant ,
Mar 18, 2011 Mar 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

Can someone tell me why this happens and how to fix or get around or tell me the proper method?  When transferring from Photoshop to Illustrator by copy/paste or directly dragging an image, object, etc., the background in not transparent.  My workaround is to save as .psd and place in Illustrator, which is a pain.  I thought there was "seamless" integration.

Thanks a bunch,

Gustavo

Santa Fe, NM

Owl Design Studios

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 18, 2011 Mar 18, 2011

Your original workaround of placing .psd files is the way to work. If you work with hi res images, then you want to link to the files, so that your computer does not slow down. You also have better control over color profiles that way, so each printer can swap in their profiles, for each time you use that image.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Mar 18, 2011 Mar 18, 2011

But dragging from the desktop is like placing it.  So I am going to answer my own question here folks .

Basically...

1) One cannot drag and drop (or copy and paste) from Photoshop to Illustrator, when needing a transparent background (graphic or photo)

2) In order to get a transparent background, save the PS file in .psd format (with transparent backgound obviously), and use the Illustrator 'Place' command to bring the file in.

Thanks everyone for the input, and so long,

Gustavo

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Save the layer your trying to transfer to a "library" you can open the same library on AI and drop it, it stays transparent. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drag and drop from the document window in Photoshop to Illustrator always works for me.

I'd consider using the Place command seamless integration as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But do you get a transparent object?  Is the object on a flatten, transparent layer while in PS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .psd file must contain layers with the object on an upper layer and a transparent background layer. I wrong about multiple layers It can have only a single layer but that cannot be listed as a background layer nor can it be flattened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Larry G. Schneider wrote:

The .psd file must contain layers with the object on an upper layer and a transparent background layer. I wrong about multiple layers It can have only a single layer but that cannot be listed as a background layer nor can it be flattened.

And, if you uncheck the Link option and get the next dialogue... make sure you check the Convert Layers to Objects...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is everyone here talking about creating a .psd file with a transparent background in PS, save it, and then use 'Place' in Illustrator?  I know this method works -I use it all the times.  I'm talking about having both programs open, and use the move tool to drag, or select-copy-paste, from PS to Illustrator.  This method seems to create a white background, very much like placing a .jpg file.

Gustavo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using copy/paste is done by means of the OS and will flatten the file. You can drag the file from the desktop and have it retain the transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But dragging from the desktop is like placing it.  So I am going to answer my own question here folks .

Basically...

1) One cannot drag and drop (or copy and paste) from Photoshop to Illustrator, when needing a transparent background (graphic or photo)

2) In order to get a transparent background, save the PS file in .psd format (with transparent backgound obviously), and use the Illustrator 'Place' command to bring the file in.

Thanks everyone for the input, and so long,

Gustavo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever figure out a solution to your problem on here, as I am having the same issue (not being able to drag and drop photoshop items to illustrator and retain transparent background). HELP!!! please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

carlyh79885524 schrieb:

Did you ever figure out a solution to your problem on here, as I am having the same issue (not being able to drag and drop photoshop items to illustrator and retain transparent background). HELP!!! please

It's not possible.

Save your Photoshop file as a PSD with background layer. Place that PSD in Illustrator. And this has been said numerous times in this thread. You might want to read all before posting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika,

Thx for your reply. Maybe I'm not explaining it clear enough. In Photoshop CC 2014 version you are able to drag photoshop layer into illustrator without saving it AT ALL. I updated all my apps to 2017 version which I didn't like so I switched back to 2014 version, only now certain features do not work ( drag & drop with transparency from PS to AI). If u do that not there is a white box underneath it. U have to SAVE it then place it in AI which is slowing me down at work and creating more desktop items I have to delete afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works fine for me.

Copy and paste single or  multiple transparent layers or drag and drop them from Photoshop to Illustrator.

They become an embedded TIF file and if multiple layers are drag and dropped, they become a single file.

Don't expect blending modes to come over, but they keep their transparency.

But placing gives you more control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gustavo,

I have the same exact problem!! I work with Photoshop and Illustrator simultaneously because I paint watercolor textures on photoshop and I change colors and make patterns on Illustrator. With older versions I was used to paint with brush on photoshop, copy and paste on illustrator respecting all transparency of a watercolor stain. 

But I updated the versions and now when I paste it, there's this white ground behind the whole area.

It should have a setting solution...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your original workaround of placing .psd files is the way to work. If you work with hi res images, then you want to link to the files, so that your computer does not slow down. You also have better control over color profiles that way, so each printer can swap in their profiles, for each time you use that image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2014 Oct 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one is really answering your question really here, they just jumping it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2014 Oct 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone, previous to your response, has contributed to answering this question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2015 May 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently trying to create an .svg using Photoshop .psd file (with layers in tact).  I'm new to these products so it may be obvious to others that the above intention was to eventually place the .svg in some sort of website creation software such as Muse.  Which is precisely what I am attempting. However, I am getting a white background once I place or copy and paste into Muse.  My starting .psd has a transparent background without any hidden layers causing this problem.  To test this I placed the .psd file into Muse and it still has a transparent background.  However when opening or placing this file into illustrator, it picks up a white background. If I do exactly as described above, I still get the same result.  So far I have tried:

1) Simple copy and paste from Photoshop .svg to illustrator to Muse.  Result - white background.

2) Placing the .psd in illustrator, then placing the .svg file in muse.  Result - white background.

4) I have also tried the every combination of 1 and 2. - Result - white background.

3) I have now created a path in Photoshop from the text layer to yet again attempt the above methods.  Result - white background.

I'm including an image of the object I am trying to place with transparent background, but I have both a flattened rasterized version, a version complete with layers and a third (.svg) with the corresponding objects.  I am completely new to Illustrator as of today so any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Link to .psd file "Welcome text"

Welcome-banner-text-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Take a look at the following article to move designs between Photoshop and Illustrator for a different workflow that suits your design objectives: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/move-designs-between-photoshop-illustrator.html

Also, if you are looking to work with Illustrator design in Photoshop? See this: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/use-illustrator-artwork-in-photoshop.html

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding on to this for anyone Illustrator 27.0 aka 2023, macOS 12.6 Monterey:

I tried placing .psd, .png, added a Layer 0 of transparency so the .psd had 2 layers (even though you should never have to do this)—none of this solved my issue.

MY SOLUTION:

Window > Transparency > Opacity & Mask Define Knockout Shape (check it)

AND 

Illustrator > Preferences > Performance > GPU Performance (check it—I turn mine off for battery life).

I feel I've never had to check the knockout group setting in Transparency window until the recent update of Adobe 27.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding on to this for anyone Illustrator 27.0 aka 2023, macOS 12.6 Monterey:

By @vincewilcox

This thread started in 2011 and probably discusses several problems.

Have you tried just turning off the GPU acceleration without the knockout setting? The knockout setting is made for knockout groups. And if you want your post to be just slightly helpful, please upload a demo PSD file.

This is what the knockout setting does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG1lcZqhwoY

This option in the transparency panel took me years to understand. And in order to make it easier for you, I have recorded this video. "Opacity & mask Define Knockout Shape" is part of Knockout groups, so I have explained both and the reason why they exist in this video. An elegant text effect ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The knockout setting was unchecked by default; so yes I have tried with GPU acceleration off and without knockout setting—see screenshot.

Upon further testing, a new document works as expected: GPU off, knockout settings unchecked, transparency from dragged or placed files shows transparency as expected.

Looks to be my file that is having the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save the layer your trying to transfer to a "library" you can open the same library on AI and drop it, it stays transparent. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! This was the only thing that worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines