Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Global Storage Settings & Update

Mar 20, 2011 Mar 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly, my apologies for the ridiculously long user name. I played the key board in frustration weeks back when registering and haven't been able to change it by updating my Adobe a/c because it won't let me put an address etc that isn't in the US (I'm in Australia).

I've been trying to find an answer to my issue by reading other posts. There seems to be some very similar issues with the latest update for Flash Player but owing to my lack of expertise on the matter I'll outline my specific problem. So, here it is:

I've been locked out of the edit function of my website host account (wix.com) because it requires me to update my Flash Player settings: http://support.wix.com/index.php/Editor_Doesnt_Open

I have downloaded the latest version of Flash half a dozen times now and installed it. Installation always seems to go just fine and no error messages are brought up. The problem is the updated version doesn't seem to have installed itself into any of my web browsers.

The Flash Player Settings Manager (access c/- above link) doesn't even display in Firefox. It does display in Google Chrome (which is up to date & my default browser), IE & Safari.

In order to access the edit function at my web hosting a/c, I need (in Global Storage Settings) to have 100KB on the disc space slider and also the box ticked for "Allow third party flash content..."

The box won't allow itself to be ticked in any of the aforementioned browsers although I can move the slider to 100KB. If, however I exit the page and return later the slider is always back at "None" (I'm not sure if that is normal or not?).

I have AVG anti-virus which I have tried temporarily disabling while installing the update. I have also restarted my computer after installations and so forth but still no luck. Hope someone who has a clue can get back to me. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

Hi thanks. Yes the Settings should stay that way until you change them.

Take a look at this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/732444?tstart=0    

See if that helps.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi H, Using IE and Safari and FF, can you see the Flash Player logo animate(spin) and what version of Flash Player is Displayed?

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

When you reply make, mention what OS you use and if it's a 32bit or 64bit. Also the versions of the browsers, other than Chrome.

That test site above will indicate if Flash Player is working properly.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for getting back to me.

Google: Spins - 10,2,154,25 installed

IE: Spins - 10,2,152,32 installed

Firefox: No Spin - plugin disabled

Safari: Spins - 10,2,152,32 installed

Microsoft Windows XP Home, Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3, Display Bits/Pixel 32 (is that what you're referring to?), system 32,

IE version: 8.0.6001.18702

Safari: 5.0.3 (7533.19.4)

Firefox: 3.6.13

Google: 10.0.648.151 (...here it is anyway)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks. Go to the plugins in FF and enable the Shockwave Flash plugin. That's the control for Flash Player:-) Always must be enabled.

It seems several users are having problems with the Global Settings. I don't know what the reason is.

I use the XP/SP3 home ed also, so that's not an issue:-)

With being able to see the logo indicates that each FP control is installed and working(except FF above) but it should be as soon as you enable it.

What you might try is Disable the addons from AVG that are in each browser. These:

AVG SafeSearch 
AVG Security Toolbar
AVG Security Toolbar BHO

I would also Disable that LinkScanner. If you don't need that AVG Toolbar, I'd disable it also. Any disabling can always be re-enabled after you get the issue resolved with the Global Settings.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have any add-ons from AVG or LinkScanner. I use Kaspersky Internet Security.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb,

Yes, FF is okay now (10,2,152,32 installed) but I'll just focus on working with Google as it's currently my default.

I've disabled AVG SafeSearch , AVG Security Toolbar, AVG Security Toolbar BHO in the Google Internet properties >  Programs > Manage Add Ons

I've also disabled AVG Link Scanner & Online Shield in teh AVG control centre and restarted my computer and it all makes no difference. Still can't tick that box.

Also can you please let me know if that slider should normally stay in place (where I set it at) after I exit and return to the Global storage settings page?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks. Yes the Settings should stay that way until you change them.

Take a look at this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/732444?tstart=0    

See if that helps.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 21, 2011 Mar 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a look at that thread and downloaded/run the Microsoft Fixit from link supplied but it makes no difference to my being able to change the Global Storage Settings (if that's actually what that Fixit is designed to do...possibly meant to fix environmental factors in windows version (7) and hopefully hasn't further disconfigured mine? I wouldn't have a clue about that?)

Isn't there some way I can contact Adobe directly and get an answer from them on this issue?

Surely, they would want to know about it and troubleshoot it themselves?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Did you try the procedure on that other thread in Post#1. That one has worked. It didn't work for that user, but it has worked for others. I have other threads with that same info, but didn't think it necessary to find one to post that didn't include the last suggestion in that thread.

Yes, you can contact Adobe at support. They charge $39.00 for a phone support call. I doubt if they would know any more than we do here, but if you want that #, let me know.

Most people don't have any problem with the Global Settings, so it is usually some setting/conflict with the system. That's why I was trying to eliminate any of those, which you have done.

You may want to go to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash  Open Flash and post back the Flash files. Any NPSWF files will need a right click to open and then click on Properties to obtain the version numbers.

Sometimes during an Uninstall/Install an old Flash file will not get removed. This could cause a conflict also.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I should have mentioned that I did try that procedure but everytime I wrote that stuff in the address bar of my IE it defaults to an Ask Jeeves search. I then removed or disabled all search providers in IE except Google (c/- Tools > Manage Add Ons) and yet whenever I I write anything in the address bar of IE it again defaults to an Ask Jeeves search which brings up lots but nothing like a Flash folder on my system...go figure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I think the Windows Explorer needed to be used, not Internet Explorer. You may want to review that thread again just to be sure.

You want to be sure to follow those directions. Your Flash folder contains your Flash files and I don't think that is what that procedure involves. It doesn't say to Uninstall your Flash folder.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb,

My Global Storage Settings are now working. Yes!

I did what was said (%appdata%\Adobe, etc) in Windows Explorer this time instead ofWindows Internet Explorer (dah!) and it's all good so thanks for advising me on that.

The process does involve deleting the Flash folders in each of those locations. Once deleted I returned to the Global Storage Settings page and all the boxes were already marked and the slider set at 100.

I wondered to myself if these settings had been miraculously fixed prior to my having deleted said folders? I decided to go to my recycle bin and restore those folders and see if that made the Global settings uneditable again. I tried doing that but the folders wouldn't restore unless I overwrote folders of the same name in those locations. I couldn't understand that (as I'd just deleted them)? Turns out the Flash folders must have been automatically replaced by new Flash folders in those locations albeit without any old content...which makes sense.

So, eidnolb, thanks for your input. Couldn't have resolved this without you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi H, I thot maybe that is what happened. Anytime you mention Explorer in the same sentence with Windows, one thinks of Internet Explorer 🙂 I'm sure many have maybe done that.

Cool, bet you're glad of that!! LOL

I'm not sure what is actually happening when the folders in that location are removed. I can't see how they can be the Flash Folders that the Flash files are located in.

That one person said something about "don't worry, they will just be replaced", remember? I wonder if those folders are holding the Temp folders?

I'll ask Pat when I have time. It would be good to understand it.

Glad that did it anyway!!!

Thanks for marking your thread as answered also.

FYI  Flash Player has Updated (Security) all platforms; Reader & Acrobat also & Air

FF 4 coming out tonight or tomorrow, IE9 is out, going to be crazy!!

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the logo spins when opened. The version is 10,2,152,32.

The OS is WinXP Pro 32 bit. I'm only using IE8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines