Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Increase the number of undos?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2011 Mar 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I seem to remember a way to increase the number of undo's in previous versions, is that possible in CS5?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

I think that the number is fixed at 32. See

this page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that the number is fixed at 32. See

this page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2011 Mar 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has it always been this way in previous versions?  I could have sworn I used to adjust the undos to 50 but maybe I'm thinking of FCP or Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro used to have up to 99 Undo levels.  This changed with CS3 or 4 I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like to see more undoes also, so I filed a feature request (long time ago).

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS, has a setting, Edit>Preferences>General to adjust the number of History States (plus some logging of the History), and that is close to adjusting the number of Undos, though through the History Palette. Could that program and that setting be what you are thinking of?

Besides the normal Undo (Ctrl+Z), one can use the History Panel, and that can get you to states going back quite a bit. Now, PS has some additional features in History, such as Snapshots, etc. that can be very, very useful.

Before starting an intense editing session, especially one that might involve a lot of experimentation with Effects, etc., I will always do a Save_As, so that I am working on a very recent Copy of my Project, and the previous state is not being touched. If all goes wonky, I just Open that previous version, before I started the experiments.

I realize that neither is exactly what you are asking for, and will agree that the ability to set more Undo states would be nice, but with a slightly different workflow, you might be able to end up with somethig that covers what you need - until the Feature Requests are acted upon.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2015 Jul 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open the history window and click the dropdown next to the word history. you can hitt the settings button.

Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 2.48.44 PM.png

That will allow you to adjust the history states.

Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 2.50.18 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are "History States" the same thing as an undo?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you hit say 3x undo the history will be set back 3 steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 18, 2016 Apr 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's fantastic. I wouldn't have found it otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work on CS5/CS6 Premiere Pro for Windows. It probably works for CC, maybe on Mac CS5/CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 is 32 for both OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much! This solved my problem. Now I've got 300 history states

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLUTION: Open your history window/tab. Click the hamburger icon to go to its settings. Go to Settings... Then change your number of history states.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines