• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export to JavaScript

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2011 Mar 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to create a form with components that were created with custom graphics.  After completing the form,

I would like to export it from Flash Catalyst, Flash Builder, or Flash Professional into JavaScript. 

When viewing the HTML live, I would like to be able to view the page without having to use Flash player

whatsoever.  Is this possible?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Mar 22, 2011 Mar 22, 2011

Hi,

Why not just create the form using standard HTML, CSS and JavaScript to begin with? Is there a reason that you have to create it in a SWF file first?

Regards,

Peter Witham.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Why not just create the form using standard HTML, CSS and JavaScript to begin with? Is there a reason that you have to create it in a SWF file first?

Regards,

Peter Witham.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find that creating or importing the graphics within Illustrator, Catalyst, Builder, etc. and attaching

events to those graphics is much more efficient than creating the graphics and manually writing the

code in JavaScript.  Much like it being more efficient to import graphics into Flash and saving out

to a .swf rather than to manually write Actionscript from scratch and connecting the graphics to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what you are saying is you want to code the form functionality with ActionScript and the Flash platform rather than coding it with JavaScript, and then finding a way to have that SWF file converted to JavaScript, HTML, CSS and image files.

I am not certain but I think you will have a hard time doing that with the current Flash platform toolset. you would be better to do it directly once using JavaScript etc. rather than doubling the development time and effort for the form and the headache of then reverse engineering the SWF file you just built.

I would recommend either learning the required JavaScript you need or finding someone to aid with the form development.

Hope this helps,

Peter Witham.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I respectfully disagree.  It would not double the development time to export the UI from one of the Flash packages. In fact, it would drastically reduce the time to reach a completed web application or web page. I have already experienced this reduction in production time from using Catalyst (which is why it was created to begin with) to place the production focus on the graphic development, and have Catalyst generate the code upon file export into an FXP

file format or other formats.  Even Flash Builder generates JavaScript and MXML to a certain extent as to SAVE TIME without having to write

that code from scratch.  Also, there are developers who agree with this considering that there have been attempts to move in this direction.

There is a smart paste prototype that Adobe labs previewed (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FGnlqcYoZY).  There is also a program called "Wallaby" that allows a user to drag a .fla file into its conversion dialog that converts the file into JavaScript (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryZP00_KhYE).  I would use the Wallaby program, however, I was wanting to utilize Catalyst to create the UI (unfortunately, I have found no way to import a Catalyst project into a Flash Professional project, and I don't think the Wallaby converter can convert Actionscript to JavaScript (only flash animations).

If exporting from Flash "doubled the workload" verses coding the JavaScript from Flash, there wouldn't be such development attempts such as the

ones I just mentioned.

Anyway, I know it would be more convenient to have Flash Catalyst, Builder, or Pro to generate the Javascript for me.  I have already studied

JavaScript and know that I keep having to find more syntax by spending hours on the Web looking for someone who, with any luck, has

completed the functionality that I look for.  When comparing the searching I have to do with the short time I took me to export from

Catalyst to create a checkbox or other component, I know first hand from doing it that it would in fact be faster to have Flash generate

the JavaScript for me.

But, I guess there is no such way as of yet, if you are the most current source available for feedback on this matter.

Thank you for your feedback anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. the main reason for wanting to do this is so I can use the great  tools Flash provides to build a web applications and web pages without

being restricted to having my users be limited if they do not have Flash Player (i.e. ipads and iphones).  It is also necessary with

the introduction to HTML5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have not looked at Wallaby yet so cannot offer any comments on the tool, it does however sound promising from what I have been told.

I am right there with you when it comes to preferring the Flash platform toolset over others and having to deal with the platforms that do not support the Flash Player directly is most frustrating.

Regards,

Peter Witham

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines