Can you please email your fla to us at <removed by moderator>? Please note that our filter system cannot accept .zip file. If you are to zip your fla, please change the file extension from .zip to .zzz.
Immediately after I open the file, I get the following:
"An error occurred opening file 'C:\Users\Kimmy.... etc' and then in the
output window at the bottom it says "Flash cannot parse this
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 17:51:08 -0600
Subject: Re: "Flash cannot parse this document." "Flash cannot parse this document."
Can you please email your fla to us at mailto:<removed by moderator>? Please note that our filter system cannot accept .zip file. If you are to zip your fla, please change the file extension from .zip to .zzz.
Thanks Kim. Please install the Flash CS5 Updater. I believed we fixed this issue in that release.
1. Launch Flash.
2. Go to Help menu > Updates...
3. Make sure the box for Adobe Flash Pro CS5 is checked in the Adobe Application Manager dialog.
4. Click Update. You will probably be asked to quit Flash while the Updater is running.
You should be able to open the file without seeing the error.
The most common causes of this error message are
- Empty frames in the main timeline and/or library symbols’ timelines.
- Invalid characters in TLF textfields. The new file format handles most invalid XML characters, but some characters (such as ETX characters) are not parsed correctly.
- The FLA contains corrupt assets.
Fix empty frames tags in main timeline:
- Make a back up of your FLA in another location.
- Change the extension of the FLA to .zip so you can unzip the FLA into its folder structure (XFL format).
Note: On a Mac, using the default unzip utility sometimes only unzips the file into a .cpcg file. To workaround this, use a utility like StuffitExpander or 7zip on the Mac.
- Open DOMDocument.xml and search for an empty <frames/> tag.
a. Replace all occurrences of <frames/> with:
<DOMFrame index="0" keyMode="9728">
b. Save DOMDocument.xml
c. Open the .xfl file inside the unzipped folder from step 2.
d. If Flash opens the file fine, you are done. You should verify the symbols and layers that you replaced the empty <frames/> tags in still look correct. You should re-save the file as a new FLA file in a different location.
Fix empty frames tags in library symbols' timelines:
If there are no empty <frames/> tags in the DOMDocument.xml file or the .xfl file still doesn't open in Flash, there is likely some asset(s) causing the problem. You must narrow down the bad asset(s) with the following steps:
- Repeat steps 3 with XML files within the LIBRARY folder. Use a text editor or any other tool that allows you to search for strings in multiple files/directories. Notepad++ is a free text editor that has this feature. Search for <frames/> within the entire folder. On Mac, you can also use the ‘grep’ command in a terminal window to find the files that contain the bad <frames/> tags.
Fix TLF Text:
If there are no empty <frames/> tags in XML file(s) or the .xfl file still doesn't open in Flash, check if any TLF objects have invalid characters.
- To find all TLF objects in your FLA, search for “<markup><tlfTextObject” in the DOMDocument.xml file and all XML files within the LIBRARY folder and sub-folders.
- Check if any of these TLF objects have invalid characters like the ETX character. Notepad++ will show such characters. Remove these characters and check if your file opens.
Unfortunately, there is no easy way to identify corrupt assets in a FLA file.
I had 2 embed video in my fla. and I didn't open my *.fla next day in CS5. I was very angry and I tried open original fla (without video). Succeeded, then a I changed type of videos:
"Embedded (synchronized with Timeline) >>> Video (ActionScript Controlled)", Succeeded
This was my trouble because my 2 streamvideo symbols not supplied in CS5.
Please read the following blog post for a solution to the Unexpected File Format Error:
I have the exact same problem, who do I contact to sort it out?
Can you post your file to a shared location and share it with us. You can send the link to me through a private message. Click my picture and use the message option.