• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I set/change the .htm filename in WebaHelp Pro output?

New Here ,
Mar 23, 2011 Mar 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH 9.0

I have (unfortunately) started with someone else's project which I have modified. I am told that I need to generate WebHelp Pro output (first time doing this) and that the main start .html file should be titled:  'help.html'.

For the life of me, I can't find where I can set the output file name. (this is probably so easy.) In the Generate dialog, when I type:

...path\help.html

under 'Output Folder and Start Page', I get a folder called 'help.html' and all the html files are in it. The start page is called something else.

How can I modify the name of the start page? (there are 11 files with this prefix, so I doubt renaming in Windows Explorer will work).

If I am not clear and you need more details, please let me know. Thanks so much.

Diana

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 23, 2011 Mar 23, 2011

The project name is the start page - if you need to change it to help.html, then your project should be called "help" - use the File > Rename Project option to change it.

BTW - you must be using RoboServer right? That's what the "Pro" designation refers to.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The project name is the start page - if you need to change it to help.html, then your project should be called "help" - use the File > Rename Project option to change it.

BTW - you must be using RoboServer right? That's what the "Pro" designation refers to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks so much! I knew it would be something simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff

Is WebHelp Pro different in that respect? WebHelp's start page is the name of the project when created or as changed in the first page of the wizard. Changing the project name does not affect it.

Also RH will not apply HTML but HTM and I would be wary of changing it. No doubt your developers world will fall apart if they have to use help.htm rather than help.html but life can be tough.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, you're right - I could have swore that I had read somewhere that there was a way of changing that initial start page. You'd think that it should work, otherwise what's the point of just renaming the RH project? Do you know a way to change it once the project is created?

The only reason I brought the WebHelp Pro bit was that lot's of people think that they need to run the "Pro" version because they think it's better than the "regular" version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you generate standard WebHelp, you have the option to name the start page. This option does not appear to be available (or at least not easily visible) in the WebHelp Pro output.

I don't think I need Pro but if I do, I'll be reposting tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are other reasons for changing the project name. Maybe it was based on a product and the product name changes.

You change the start page in the first page of the wizard for both webhelp and webhelp pro. I've highlighted to field for the pro output.

The Pro version ONLY works if you have RoboHelp Server.

webhelp_pro.jpg

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The field is there in my version RH HTML 9.0.0.228 in the WebHelp Pro SSL, but contrary to the Adobe Community Help (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/robohelp/robohtml/WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d11aff364c61-8000.html#WS1A5EA425-79A0-42b9-B53C-8C8C5E9BE0B4), giving it a different start page name only creates a folder, not a file like the WebHelp field does. I also noticed when playing around with a new dummy project that in WebHelp, the field plops in a default \index.htm filename, while in WebHelp Pro it doesn't show any filename, just the default WebHelpPro folder path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll leave others to advise how Pro works but the start page default did change in 9. Previously it took the original project name. From 9 it defaults to index.htm which is a standard name for a website home page. As such developers will recognise it as the page to open the help.

It also avoids the problem where many people created their default topic with the project name so RoboHelp was given that name by the author and then wanted to use it for the start page, hence you got projectname.htm as the default topic and projectname1.htm as the start page. That was great for causing confusion.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2011 Mar 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes WebHelp Pro does operate differently than WebHelp where the start page comes into play. In the SSL the "Output Folder and Start Page" field is badly named in that you can not specify a start file! If you do, you get a folder by that name. For example if you have a project called ProjectA and specify "ProjectA\help.htm" in this field you get a sub directory of "help.htm," inside the ProjectA directory and the index.htm file (in RH9) as Peter described . All very misleading. The solution to this is to manually update the "WebHelp Pro.SSL" file in Notepad. In there, lokk for the following line:

<element name="DestinationProjectName" value=

This has the output path you specify in the SSL properties. Just add the name of the file you want to create at the end (e.g. help.htm) and when you generate your output you'll get the required results.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for chiming in Colum!

I just tested it and it works like a charm. I'm going to suggest an update to the page in the Community Help regarding this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem Jeff. I'm seen your comment on the help and have approved it so it can enlighten others

BTW for the benefit of others, this has been reported to Adobe as a bug but please feel free to do the same. The more that do so, the greater chance there is that it will be fixed soon. You can do so here.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 06, 2011 May 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

WebHelp Pro and FlashHelp Pro are designed to be used primarily with RoboHelp Server. WebHelp and FlashHelp on the other hand are independent output formats to be used offline or online by publishing on other WebServers. Hence, there is a difference in a way the start page is treated for these outputs.

Since WebHelp and FlashHelp are mostly targeted for offline use or to be used through any independent Web Server for online usage, hence the requirement for changing the name of the start page that has been done in Adobe RoboHelp 9.

WebHelp Pro uses the project name as the start page. This start page is used just for previewing the WebHelp Pro output offline and is in fact not used at all when published on RoboHelp Server. A WebHelp Pro output when published on server and accessed doesn't require any start page in the URL that is constructed by the server itself. Hence changing the start page name is not required here, hence not available in the SSL dialog.

Similar is the case of FlashHelp Pro output where the start page is again used for offline viewing and for viewing the output from server. Again for viewing the help from server the start page name is not required in the URL, hence renaming it not available in the SSL dialog.

In fact, WebHelp Pro and FlashHelp Pro don't provide many  functionalities of WebHelp/FlashHelp when used in offline mode e.g.  Window Properties and Project Merging, DUCC etc.

Hence, WebHelp Pro and FlashHelp Pro should not be treated as a better version of WebHelp and FlashHelp respectively, rather an independent versions of output formats to be used for different purposes.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2011 May 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Milind -- we are trying to use WebHelp Pro and you can get the Window to display correctly if you use (what I call) the long path.  It's a very long string that you see when you click View project from the Server Admin.  The other way is to path directly to the projectname.htm which, as you state, does not display Help correctly.  It displays everything on the skin regardless of how you configure the window in the Windows property

The draw back to the long URL is that it does not render the TOC correctly when there are PDFs in the TOC or in some cases even just a topic with a PDF link.  The draw back to the short URL is that it does not render the window as configiured in the Windows property box.

Colum -- thanks for the idea, I think I'll try that...if we stick with WebHelp Pro.  My developers would love it if we used the index.htm versus the project name as the starting point.  I'm leaning toward too much frustration to get one of the 2 URLs to behave the way we want and may change to it to the WebHelp layout.

Regards,

CJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp