Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Background PDF export Help

May 28, 2010 May 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently installed InDesign CS5 on my 27" iMac i5 and I'm having a problem with exporting files to PDF in the background.  I know that in CS5, pdf export is now done in the background.  Not all the time, but on many occasions when I export to PDF in the background the process freezes.  I check the background tasks manager and the process is stalled, it just sits there with 0% progress and actually freezes all background exporting functions to the point where  when I want to close the document I get an error that says" background tasks in progress can not close document".  Then I have to force quit ID to get rid of the error.  Any help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 172 Replies 172
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wish I could help, but all I can say is I've been a victim, too. Seems to happen if you make changes to the same doc while it is trying to export, at least for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a pdf preset I call supersmall, all images are compressed down to 72dpi, seems if I export my document on the supersmall preset first and then re-export again and change the preset to press quality or to my bleed setting then it works fine. But sucks to have to export twice for each document.

Steve Webster, BFA

All Weather Windows Marketing & Design Consultant

Ph.780.447.6359

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2010 Jun 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to Export a one page .indd into a .pdf and then into an email.

but the font continuously keeps getting altered.

Any ideas???

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The font is probably copyright protected, InDesign won't let you create a pdf from a protected font, but there's an easy fix. Click on the text box of the font in question, in InDesign, and then go to "Type/Create Outlines". This changes that font to an outline of the font, it's no longer an editable font, it's a vector image of the font shape. Then you can export a PDF with no font problems. See if that works. Thanks

Steve Webster, BFA

Ph.780.447.6359

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign will notify you if you try to embed a non-embeddable font, but perhaps this has been forcibly ignored by telling it "Don't tell me this anymore" on an earlier occasion.

A good check is to open the PDF with Acrobat, and select the Fonts tab in the Description dialog. This tells you right away which fonts are embedded and which are not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you preflight before you tried to export. Sometimes that will catch the font issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did preflight. but it says my text is overset any idea of what this means?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Overset text means there is more test in the story that fits in the frame. It's often as simple as an extra carriage return at the end of the story leaving an empty paragraph. Put your cursor in the story and press Cmd (Ctrl) + Y to open the story editor and see what is not visible. Edit, or resize the frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues!

I have problems exporting to PDF more than 50% + of the time and that happens no matter if I'm printing from a book export or from the file/export. The background task shows the 0% and won't let me close. I've talked to technical support and after an hour nothing was resolved so I came here. The tech support guy tried to tell me the features in CS5 were more intensive and that's why it's having problems processing.  I'm still feeling frustrated from the call because of the communication problems with the foriegn tech.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear you with the foreign tech, I have switched many services (phone internet, cable) to get away from foreign techs and it's not racist I just need to communicate in full english to feel like an issue is resolved. I just gave up. I have gone back to InDesign CS4 until Adobe comes out with the first update for CS5. Creating PDFs is what I do all day long so it has to work well. Are you on a Mac? I am and I wonder if this works fine on windows? Adobe has been known for lax support for Mac lately but pdf creation from indesign is such a core feature I can't believe Adobe screwed it up. Do you have CS4?

Steve Webster, BFA

Ph.780.447.6359

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, it is problem for Windows users, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh boy, Adobe messed this one up big! I bet there will be an update soon.

Steve Webster, BFA

Ph.780.447.6359

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Steve, I'm on a Mac. It's a brand new 27" iMac with duo core processors 3.06 GHz and 8 GB RAM.

Like you, I export PDFs regularly and this has slowed my production time way down.

Someone wrote that if you only use the PDF presets, it works just fine -- I tried that and it didn't work  : (

I can't help but feel that if there was a way to turn off background printing, we wouldn't be having this issue.

Also like you, I'm not a racist. It's just that so much time is spent repeating yourself or having them repeat what they said that it just gets down right frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

webheads1835 wrote:

.... Do you have CS4?

I have CS4 but unfortnately it will no longer open the files because they have been updated once I worked on them in CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It says I have overset text...

How do I alter this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 05, 2010 Jun 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem - background PDF creation crashing and freezing INDD CS5. I thought I had a good workaround (it worked on one occasion), which was to export file > IDML, open the IDML in CS4, and export to PDF from there. But now, the IDML export process also crashes and freezes the app. I'm actually on deadline this morning with a magazine and this is driving me nuts. Like some other posters, I had a totally frustrating time with Tech Support, a gentleman who did not seem familiar with the product at all and had to refer to, I guess, a knowledge base that provided no answers. Seething? Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yours is the first report I've seen of trouble with exporting to .idml. Are you running other applications or any third-party plugins for ID that might be causing a conflict?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi – no, I'm not running any 3rd party plugins in CS5 (other than updated RAW converter in Photoshop). I do have Q2ID in my InDesign CS4 plugins folder, but not in CS5. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about other background applications you migfht be able to turn off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've finished the mag in CS4, so am about to restart and try CS5 on its own. I'll let you know how it goes... Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Restarted, only Bridge and INDD CS5 open, plus Safari for this thread. Running OS X 10.6.3. I've opened my document (48 page magazine), Opens fine. Export > .idml fails (no apparent action). Trying to close the document brings up the error: "InDesign cannot close the document ... because it is in use by one or more background tasks". Clicking cancel and going to Background Tasks produces the following message: Export: " 0 (with a large cross next to it). Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing very useful, I'm afraid. Restart the computer, and try again without Safari, then file a bug at Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That appears to be the answer. Loading Safari (4.0.5) first then firing up InDesign CS5 results in the failure to export to .idml. But if InDesign is started before Safari, the problem doesn't occur. So: a Safari bug, or an InDesign bug? I'll file a bug report to both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines