• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH7 HTML - New topics won't publish unless they appear in the TOC

Mar 24, 2011 Mar 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning!

I'm having problems in RH7 HTML with projects containing on average 80 topics. Both RoboHelp and the project files are on the c: drive of the computer.The output is published using WebHelp. Right now, unless the new topics are added to the TOC, they are not published.

Up until a few days ago, I was able to publish to the Web without including the new topics in the TOC. I do that for new system features that are not yet released to ensure the topics and links are working properly. Once the features are released, I add the topics to the TOC.

At first I thought the problem was with the ftp server that hosts the html files, but then I noticed that all topics already on the server are updated. I backtracked all the way to the !SSL! folder in which the webhelp is originaly generated and the same thing happens there: old files updated, new files nowhere to be found. Unless I include them in the TOC. I didn't change any of the Webhelp settings when generating the output.

I did try creating a new project by importing a few topics and it works fine, no need to add the topics to the TOC.

And I don't know if it's relevant, but I had to change the time on the computer and apply a Windows update.

Does anybody have any idea of why this is happening? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try uninstalling that Windows update and see if that solves it.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you publish RoboHelp should add new or changed files at least, all if you have Republish all ticked. When you generate however, the first thing it does is empty the folder. Thus if only old topics are getting generated, it doesn't take much to work out that the new topics are not getting generated.

First I would specify a new target location for the generation. Then I would be looking at CBTs. When you generate do you have a build expression set? If yes, try just generating and see what happens with no expression applied.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, my mistake; you are totally right, the help is not generated. Very sorry for that.

I changed the target location by creating a new folder, still on the computer's c drive, and I'm not using any build expressions (wasn't before either). The result is the same: the new topics are not generated.

Any other ideas?

Thank your for all your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried deleting the CPD and reopening the project, then generating?

I've got a feeling someone else had this quite a few months back but search is broken right now.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried and it is still not working. Only generates if the topics are in the TOC.

TechSupport is looking after the computer to check if there could be any technical issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post back when IT have done their bit.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 07, 2011 Apr 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Well IT tried and tried but RH7 is still not publishing new topics that are not in the TOC. However, I had put in a request to upgrade to RH9 and it has been accepted. I gather my problem will be gone with the new version.

I would have like to fix the initial problem to find out what the real issue was. Sadly I guess I'll never know.

Thank you all for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's one of the solutions I'm looking into; I'm waiting for TechSupport to try that one. I'll let you know if it does help.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Perhaps it would be helpful if you could record your actions and demonstrate where we could watch what is happening. You could use Jing for this.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who said 9 will fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know - it's wishful thinking.

I am upgrading to benefit from some of the new features - styles and numbered list to name a few - and hoping 9 will fix it. I will try to record my steps as suggested by Captiv8r.

Where could I post the recording? On here, as an attachment to a posting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use Jing you will get a free account on ScreenCast.com where they host the recordings. Immediately after you finish the recording and upload it right from Jing, it copies the link to your Windows clipboard. Super slick, huh? And did I mention it's totally FREE? LOL

You would then paste the link into a forum reply post.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 11, 2011 Apr 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it seems my search to find out why I couldn't generate new topics must come to an end.

The upgrade to RH9 from RH7 was purchased and installed. After preliminary testing, those same rebellious new topics were generated and published flawlessly. Yay!

And although it would be interesting to pursue the analysis and figure out what was wrong, it would not be productive – unless I ever find time to do it off-hours, which is unlikely.

So thank you very much for your help and time; it is much appreciated.

Nathalie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2011 Apr 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just accept that it is working, to our surprise as much as yours.

As to investigating, please don't. We would only have to come and visit you on your lucid days.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 20, 2011 Jul 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Perhaps we can still figure out why topics are not published because I am having the same issue.

I have made some updates on a few topics and when I publish those chanages do not appear in the live manual.

I am presently working with Windows  7 and RH7.

I have cleared all cache from my computer and tried republishing with no success.

We will be looking at RH9 as I understand that RH7 and Windows7 is not supported through Adobe (which offers no support anyway).

I can not wait until we get RH9 as I need these changes to publish as of yesterday.

I did publish other items before with success...the only difference with this specific publish is that the topic had a conditional tag on it before I completed the changes.  This tag no longer is on the topic.

The ironic thing here is that the last person who had this problem is Nathalie...and I too am Natalee....could that be the issue.  ( a little humor for you).

I look forward to any suggestions you can throw my way.

Natalee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2011 Jul 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Looking back it does seem we were remiss in not asking what OS NorthernTechWriter was using. You are right that RoboHelp 7 was not supported on Windows 7 but whether or not that is the cause is another matter.

Do you get the same problem if you create a new project with just a few new topics?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp