• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash player plugin will not install since Firefox upgrade.

Mar 23, 2011 Mar 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since upgrading to the latest version of Firefox, my Flash plug-in no longer works even after repeated attempts to download and install (both the manual Flash installer, and by visiting pages like Youtube which prompt installation) but nothing is working. It's a frustrating loop that gets me nowhere and I've spent hours now uninstalling Flash, uninstalling Firefox, reading through forums etc. and I am getting no help aside from some suggestions to just give up and use Chrome, which is working with Flash just as well as it ever did. I can't understand why it seems like many people are facing this issue, yet there is no apparent fix to be found. Please help is you can. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. What is your operating system & version?
  2. What is your "latest version" of Firefox, 3.6.16 or 4.0?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additionally, type about:plugins into the address bar; what does it say about Shockwave Flash?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 24, 2011 Mar 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your help.

I am on Windows Vista, Firefox 4. Here is the run down from about:plugins.

Enabled plugins

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, look in your FF plugins for Shockwave Flash plugin and it must be there and Enabled.

I think Pat wanted to know also is your Vista a 32bit or a 64bit in case he needs you to check files.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - I pasted my plugins into this post via email and it looks like they didn't make it into the online post. I've copied them again below. It looks like Shockwave doesn't even exist which is probably the main issue - but seeing that installing isn't working I have no idea how to fix the problem and get this plugin to appear in order to enable it.

Also, I am on a 32 bit version if Vista.

Thanks.

Plugins:

Microsoft® Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin

File: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\np-mswmp.dll
Version: 1.0.0.8
np-mswmp
MIME Type Description Suffixes
application/x-ms-wmpnp-mswmp*
application/asx*
video/x-ms-asf-plugin*
application/x-mplayer2*
video/x-ms-asfasf,asx,*
video/x-ms-wmwm,*
audio/x-ms-wmawma,*
audio/x-ms-waxwax,*
video/x-ms-wmvwmv,*
video/x-ms-wvxwvx,*

Adobe Contribute CS4

File: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npContribute.dll
Version: 5.0.0.3264
Contribute Firefox IBE Plugin DLL
application/ibeContribute Firefox IBE Plugin DLLibe

Adobe Acrobat

File: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\nppdf32.dll
Version: 10.0.1.434
Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.0.1
application/pdfAcrobat Portable Document Formatpdf
application/vnd.adobe.pdfxmlAdobe PDF in XML Formatpdfxml
application/vnd.adobe.x-marsAdobe PDF in XML Formatmars
application/vnd.fdfAcrobat Forms Data Formatfdf
application/vnd.adobe.xfdfXML Version of Acrobat Forms Data Formatxfdf
application/vnd.adobe.xdp+xmlAcrobat XML Data Packagexdp
application/vnd.adobe.xfd+xmlAdobe FormFlow99 Data Filexfd

Java Deployment Toolkit 6.0.240.7

File: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npdeployJava1.dll
Version: 6.0.240.7
NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
application/java-deployment-toolkit

Mozilla Default Plug-in

File: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npnul32.dll
Version: 1.0.0.15
Default Plug-in
*Mozilla Default Plug-in

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I don't see the Shockwave Flash plugin either. You can try this before Uninstalling/Installing. Sometimes this test site will prompt you for the plugin. If it doesn't then do the Uninstall/Install.

NOTE: You didn't say if you have FP Installed in IE, if so the Uninstaller will Uninstall IE also.

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Download and SAVE to your Desktop the Uninstaller:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Download and SAVE to your Desktop the Installer for FF- use the EXE Installer for plugin based

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/fp_distribution3.html

Download and SAVE to your Desktop the Installer for IE- use the EXE Installer   From the same site as for FF

Close all browser windows, you only want to be looking at your Desktop.
Disable any messenger services, as yahoo, msn, etc in the system tray(area near the clock)

Disable Anti-Virus until FP is Installed

Run the Uninstaller and when finished, Reboot(restart) your computer.
Check to make sure the Anti-Virus is still Disabled
Run the Installer for IE, Run the Installer for FF and when finished, Reboot.

Then go to this test site and test each browser:

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 25, 2011 Mar 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb,

I followed your instructions 100% but the situation is still the same in FF. Chrome and IE are just fine. Is there some way to get the plugin file and manually load it into my FF plugins folder or something? I am at a total loss here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, So the issue remains on that Shockwave Flash plugin. I re-read your first post and it appears you Installed FF 4.0 and then had an issue. Then Uninstalled/Installed FP(Flash Player). Both of these updates involve the browser. I think what happened is a glitch occurred between the two.

Go to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash   Open Flash and post back the files there. The NPSWF files need a right click to open and then click on Properties to obtain the version number.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for your continued support on this!

Here's what's in my C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash folder:

flashplayer.xpt

FlashUtil10o_ActiveX.dll

FlashUtil10o_ActiveX.exe

FlashUtil10o_Plugin.exe

NPSWF32.dll

FlashPlayerTrust

Flash10o.ocx

FlashAuthor.cfg

FlashInstall.log

NPSWF32.dll is version 10.2.153.1 (Date Modified 3/25/2011 @ 9:24am - from when I followed your install instructions this morning)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the file info. Your Flash files for FF and IE are all correct with the latest version 10.2.153.1.

I don't understand why the FF Installer didn't Install the Shockwave Flash plugin. I don't know if right clicking on that

Flash file for FF would Install it or not. Then again, we don't know that it didn't, but the FF 4.0 may have caused the glitch.

I have never heard of the FP Installer not Installing that plugin.

FlashUtil10o_Plugin.exe

I'm going to check mine and let you know if it's just an Uninstaller executable or may be an Installer.

A couple of other users are having a glitch with the new FF 4.0 /Flash Player update.

I think I would have update Flash Player first and waited a few days before updating FF. That way it would be easier to know which may have been causing an issue. I would have done that regardless of which browser updated.

I haven't had any problem with the FP update on either of my PC's, so I'm thinking it's FF 4.0. Haven't had time to check over at Firefox to see what they are saying.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I checked my plugin Flash file I mentioned in my previous post. This is just the Uninstaller/Installer. I thot it might be since the ActiveX Utility has the same.

Now I am looking over the FF help site and there are 260 posts on "FF 4.0 not working"  I just received some feedback from another thread that was NOT having the issues you are and didn't have FF 4.0 yet. But I think they may have something, they Uninstalled Flash Player, then Uninstalled FF, then Installed FF 4.0 and THEN Installed Flash Player. Now everything is working.

I think that may be the correct order. FF first, then FP. It makes sense when I think about it.

I know you did update FF first and then tried Uninstalling/Installing FP, then repeated Uninstalls/Installs trying to get it to work.

Maybe Uninstalling FF now and re-Installing, followed by the Uninstall/Install for FP that I gave you to follow before will work. It appears there is some glitch in FF 4.0. I haven't finished reading the related FF Posts yet, but you can think about doing this and as soon as I have more info, will post.

Oh, Installing that Shockwave Flash plugin is done by the FP Installer.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, eidnolb

I tried what you suggested (uninstalling/re-installing FF and FP in the order you specified) but still have the same issue. Flash is fine on all other browsers.

If there seems to be no solution from the folks over at FF, would my only option be to somehow wipe out everything from FF on my machine? It seems like it's storing this bug the same way it stores my bookmarks and such. Maybe if I backed some things up and figured out how to do a completely clean install that would help (although, it would be a royal pain to possibly lose everything). I'm not sure what else my options are aside from giving up on using Flash in that browser.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, What an aggravation! Let me take a look at an article that Adobe has. It may have been updated. What it did have is a way to Uninstall Flash Player from FF only. If that is still an option, then while doing that, we can check the Flash folder after running the Uninstaller to make sure all Flash files for FF have been removed. Then run the Installer for FP for FF. Perhaps that would work.

I'm getting dinner:-) at the moment, so will check on that.

I've read more on the FF site but haven't found anything yet that's related. I don't care for their Help/Forum section, confusing to me:-) It doesn't seem to matter what you put in the search, as unrelated posts come up!

Will get back with you. I'd rather try the above if it's still feasible since you don't want to completely lose your data.

I would ask the Flash Player Forum, oh, never mind we're here, LOL

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Well I found out that the FP file for FF only works for versions prior to 10.1.

The only thing else would be to Uninstall FF 4.0, and Install the version you had prior that was working. I don't think the latest version of FP is the issue.

The Help on FF is not really helpful. If I enter FF 4.0 not working, I get pages of FF version issues  back to 3.6.5!! Hardly anything pertaining to FF 4.0.

I don't like experimenting so that would be the only thing I could suggest. Do you remember which FF version you had before 4.0? I did read that any 4 beta versions were installed into a separate location? I don't know if that has anything to do with the issue you're having or not. Or how that effects the released version of 4.0, if at all.

Something to think about.

I can't think of anything that would be blocking that Shockwave Flash plugin other than adblock or Bit Defender:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/601019?tstart=0

I hope you can perhaps use an earlier version of FF, at least you wouldn't have to be concerned about all of you data/programs, etc.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 28, 2011 Mar 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, eidnolb.

Thanks again for your help on this. It's definitely been frustrating. I

ended up doing a clean uninstall/reinstall of Firefox (I just made sure to

back up my bookmarks, but that's about it) and now Flash is working just

fine. There must be some kind of bug that happened when I updated my

existing version to 4.0 and since there seemed to be no way to fix the Flash

component while keeping my existing settings a clean install seemed like the

only solution. I'm glad it worked, although it's annoying that there wasn't

a quicker fix for it that didn't require wiping the slate clean.

Thanks again for everything.

Take care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 28, 2011 Mar 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi superkj, I can just imagine if I had to do that with IE. I'm sorry that you had to do that. Glad that Flash Player is working with FF, but I agree there should have been a better way.

There are a couple of other threads that are facing the same thing. Whether they will Uninstall/Install FF is up to them. One is going with Safari and waiting on FF. How long the wait will be remains to be seen.

As I've said, I don't use FF but don't ever Install any beta or any that has just came out. There are most always glitches and some can be severe as you've experienced.

Thanks for reporting back what you had to do. I don't know if FF have a site for feedback on the 4.0, but they need to and make it known. Microsoft have one set up and I've given the link to a couple of threads. It's important in my opinion when releasing any major software. Solving issues during the beta period is very different than when it's in the "Real" world:-)

Thanks for reporting back what you had to do.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 30, 2011 Mar 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, I came across this working on another thread and thot it may be helpful(although too late?) to you.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing%20profiles#w_starting-the-profile-manager

A section about recovering data from an older profile.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines