• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Favicon for context-sensitive Help (WebHelp)

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2008 Nov 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I've created a WebHelp project for a Web-based software application, and it includes context-sensitive topics. When these topics are launched from the application, the icon of the browser is displayed in the topic frame. Is there a way to replace this with a custom icon (favicon)? We want to match the favicon that is used with the product, to the Help output. There is a ton of information about creating favicons online, but not much when it comes to tweaking HTML source for WebHelp projects. Any tips/ideas are welcome!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2008 Nov 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<quote>When these topics are launched from the application, the icon of the browser is displayed in the topic frame.</quote>

Browser icon in the topic frame? The topic only has what you put in it. Can you explain more?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Peter. When the context-sensitive topic is invoked from the (Web-based) application, the user's browser information is displayed in the top portion of the window (the default browser frame). In this case, the user will see a URL and the browser icon (IE). I'm wondering whether it is possible to overwrite any browser favicon (such as the IE logo) with the product favicon (for example, adding a line of code to each topic)? Our developers are very concerned about the consistency of how information is presented, and I agree, it would be nice not to have to see different icons throughout the Help (such as the whstart.ico when the main product help is launched, which I have replaced with our favicon).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi LuckyClover

What you may wish to try is to insert a line in your HTML code that looks like this:

<LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="InsertURLHere/favicon.ico" />

Note that I said "try". I said this because sometimes RoboHelp tries to be ever helpful and amends (read - removes) things we add in TrueCode view.

Of course, you would want to save your personalized icon as "favicon.ico".

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I understand, you are referring to how to get an icon such as I have on my site. It was the reference to the topic frame that through me. You are referring to the address bar.

I see Rick has explained how.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Rick. Why is it important to name the favicon, "favicon", specifically? Also, I'm not sure what I would use for the portion of the inserted code, ="InsertURLHere

So, I'll give this a try in some of context-sensitive topics. Is there a way that I can test this on my computer? Right now, I'm checking the output from the WebHelp folder (launching the Help start page, index.htm). I understand that I can probably see changes by publishing (HTML), but I don't have a server for this (publishing as a local file system). Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Assuming your site has a known URL (such as http://www.RoboWizard.com or something similar) that is what you would be expected to place there.

You may wish to review the link below:
Click here for more

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2008 Nov 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I changed the header code for the Help project start page (index.htm) as follows:
var sIcon="favicon.ico";

Also, as a test, I added the following code to the header portion of some of the context-sensitive topics
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico">

And voila, nothing works. Our developer took the code and made a sample html page, and when we opened the page in Mozilla, the favicon displays. The same page doesn't display in IE (we need our favicon to work in IE 6.0). I have the favicon in the WebHelp output folder, also. Can anyone tell whether the HTML changes are off/wrong or whether there is an issue with IE 6.0 with rendering the requested changes?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Nov 24, 2008 Nov 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again LuckyClover

Where the icon isn't appearing, is the topic by chance inside a folder? If so, that probably explains why it's failing. Your code is specifying only the icon and no path. So if the topic is inside a folder, it can't find the icon.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2008 Nov 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Do some googling on this. I did to get the favicon working on my site. One of the pages I found indicated that FF responds immediately but IE can take a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp