• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export notes from Captivate slides

Contributor ,
Mar 22, 2011 Mar 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The notes section under each Captivate slide in my project is the script for the audio of that slide.

I need to send these notes/script to someone who does not have Captivate, in order that they can translate my notes/script.

I can publish the project as a word document and send them that, but before I do that I was wondering if there is a smarter solution available (xml, html, xls) ?

Noel

Captivate v4

TOPICS
Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Mar 24, 2011 Mar 24, 2011

That is correct. You will need to re-import the XML back into Captivate using the option File->Import -> XML.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the answer is no.

Being able to export/import Slide Notes and CC text for localisation and translation is something we are hoping to get for Cp6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod,

Not that I am going to wait until v6, but do you know of the approx time frame for when v6 is going to be released ?

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pre-release hasn't even started for it, so I'd be saying somewhere at least around the middle of next year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should mention that you can actually export/import Closed Caption text from Captivate 4 and 5.

Just look under File > Export > Project Captions and Closed Captions.

So if your voiceover text is actually word for word the same as your CC text then you might be OK.

Slide notes are not necessarily the same as CC because you can tick which lines are used in which.

Anyway, that might be all that you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod,

Thanks again for the CC info. I think I will stick with the publish to Word option.

Thanks again.

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you wish.  The CC text can only be exported when you have audio files recorded for each slide.  Otherwise it doesn't appear as an option.

The useful part of this export is that it has two columns. One for the current voiceover text, and the other for the translated equivalent.  When you reimport back into Captivate, you can change all text on screen in captions and CC text to the new language.  This still leaves you with the job of importing your audio files in the new language.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Slide notes and Closed captions can be exported as an XML and can be used for localization. The localized XML can be imported back into Captivate. Export to XML has an option to export Only slide notes. It is not necessary to have audio in order for the slide notes to be exported.

This option is available in File -> Export -> To XML option. You can see that all your slide notes are dumped there.

Please let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Sushma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sushma, does this mean that you can then translate the XML and reimport the slide notes back into Captivate so that their translated versions appear in exactly the same places?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct. You will need to re-import the XML back into Captivate using the option File->Import -> XML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  I see the option to export XML, but where does it allow you to only export Slide Notes?  I only seem to be able to export everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 27, 2011 Mar 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The export XML option exports the whole Captivate project alongwith slidenotes  included. The slide notes portion is dumped into a particular node in the XML under the particular slide to which its been added.

Thanks,

Sushma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how would you get just the slide notes out as an export?  I think the original question was to find a way of just exporting slide notes so that they could be translated.  If the current XML export required the translator to navigate XML nodes to find the respective notes, I think they might find that too complex as a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do not have an option currently to export only the slide notes. One has to navigate to the Slide notes node in the XML to localize it.

You could please log a feature request for the same with Captivate team at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=5

Thanks,

Sushma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK Sushma.  That's what I thought.

Back on the 24th of March you said: "Export to XML has an option to export Only slide notes."  But perhaps you were thinking of the publish to MS Word options where you can tick the box to have Slide Notes?

If we DID have something similar for the XML export, that would be very useful.  I don't know a lot of translators, but the ones I do know aren't all that familiar with navigating XML trees.  So I don't think the current XML export solution would be much use to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod,

What I really meant from that is, you do not really have to mark slidenotes as closed captions ( which you will need to do if you export captions to MSWord) to Export them to XML. The XML export allows you to just dump slides notes, along with the rest of the project, even if they are not closed captions.

Thanks for your suggestion on exporting slide notes only. I will log an enhancement request with the Captivate team.

Thanks,

Sushma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 26, 2015 May 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RodWard,

Do you know if exporting slide notes is available now, four years later?  : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

As far as I can tell, exporting slide notes is still terrible 6 years later. So I created a quick and easy tool to export your slide notes into something useable.

GitHub - RandyMustache/XMLParser: A tool to read the XML sheet provided in a Captivate export, and t...

I created a quick and easy program to export the XML into readable text. It's worked well for my usecases. I hope to add more features as time goes on.

-Mitch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

Looks like it is an "All or nothing" solution. I have tried it and exported text to XML (notes and slide text boxes etc) translated from English to German and then re-imported. It works for "all", but if you want to just translate the notes (script) it would be nice to have the option to export "Notes" only or "Notes and Slide text".

Noel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news, many thanks.

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources