• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH8: how to enable browse sequences?

Engaged ,
Mar 28, 2011 Mar 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry that this has probably been answered before, but the forum search isn't working *at all* for me (returns 0 hits for *any* search).

Anyway...

I have a project in RH8. I've generated .chm and webhelp, both with no problem.

I went into Tools > Browse Sequence Editor and added a browse sequence. I did not get a dialog asking me to enable browse sequences.

Generate the .chm or webhelp -- no browse sequences display.

I tried the Adobe Help and can't find an answer (but I freely admit that the Help system leaves me flummoxed).

Any pointers?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In WebHelp it is in the second page of the wizard.

browseseqweb.jpg

It will be enabled if the project has a browse sequence, this one didn't.

There will be an equivalent for CHMs, post back if you cannot find it.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you mean by the wizard.

The only time I see that section (Additional Options) with the same options as you show, is when I go to SingleSourceLayouts and show Properties for WebHelp. It appears on the second page.

For Microsoft HTML Help, there is no option for Browse Sequences.

For WebHelp Pro, there is no option for Browse Sequences.

Here's what I'm trying right now:

1. Tools > Browse Sequence Editor > Auto-create using TOC.
    1. Click OK.
      BrowseSequenceEditor closes.
  2. In Single Source Layouts, set WebHelp as Primary Layout.
  3. Right-click Webhelp, select Properties.
  4. Default Window is showing <None>. Change to NewWindow. (This was something I hadn't set before, trying it now.)
  5. Click Next.
  6. Click Save.
  7. Generate WebHelp.
  8. Click Next
  9. Second page is showing Additional Options. Browse Sequences is already selected. Click Next.
  10. DHTML>PureHTML is selected. Click Finish.
  11. View Result.
    Displays without browse sequences.

Fiddled with trying .chm as the primary layout, webhelp pro as the primary layout, nothing works. Went back to setting WebHelp as primary layout, still doesn't work *and* I don't see the 'default window' option in Properties anymore.

I am going around and around in ever-less-clearly-defined circles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In WebHelp the sequences do not show as a ribbon. When you select a topic the browse buttons will be enabled.

For CHMs, set CHM as your primary layout and then create a new window. It will be different to the window when CHM is not set as primary. You should then see the option.

The wizard is simply the name for the various pages you scroll through from the SSL layout.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter, I'm halfway there now.

The .chm is working okay now -- I could swear I did what you said earlier (set as primary, create new window) but I guess I didn't. This time around, got the correct 'new window' format, and it's working with the browse sequences.

And... just tried the webhelp. Okay, it's working as well, I think 🙂

That leaves me with a couple of final questions (still part of the original topic, I think.)

• Question 1: Are the browse buttons (left and right triangles above the TOC) the only indicator that a topic belongs to a browse path?
  • In the .chm, the ribbon shows all of my browse paths. I can create more than one browse path that include a common topic.
    For example:2
    PathOne = topicA -> topicB -> topicC
    PathTwo = topicD -> topicB -> topicE
    (Both paths include 'topicB')

In the WebHelp, all I can see is the browse buttons (left/right). When I display topicB, both buttons are enabled and the browse path is PathOne.

Question 2: Is there any way in the WebHelp to show that a topic belongs to more than one browse path?

Thanks *very much* for all your help Peter. I was >>this close<< to throwing my hands up in the air before I got your response 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the browse buttons are the only indicator that a topic is part of a sequence in WebHelp and WebHelp only allows the use once. The problem is to do with knowing which topic to go to on the way back through the sequence. Somehow the Microsoft Help Compiler can handle that but WebHelp cannot.

As far as which sequence is used in WebHelp, a quick test seems to suggest that if a topic is in more than one sequence, the one used is the last one edited. Test that a bit more though as it was a very quick test.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

See Rick's thread (http://forums.adobe.com/message/3398099?tstart=0) on topics in multiple browse sequences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp