Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sharing RH 8 license

Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2011 Mar 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am a new contractor in a large organization and I am going to be sharing an RH8 license with another user who has already been using the license and working with another team of people. I'm concerned before I download it that I need to consider the preferences or decisions the other user made when installing. For example, did the person install the server with it? does it matter if it's RH for Word or RH HTML? Any warnings on this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not exactly sure what you mean by sharing the license - RH is installed on a machine with a license. If you have a user profile on that machine and the original installer installed RH to be accessible by all users of the machine, then you would see the shortcut(s) on your desktop. Only one of you would be using the software at one time, since only one of you could be logged in. The projects that you work on would be located in a place common to both of you (if you wanted to share the projects), otherwise, you would keep your projects in your own profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To avoid any misunderstanding, that common place must be the same hard disk, not a network location.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

From what I'm seeing, it would seem that you are expecting to download the software to your own PC and "share" the license that way.

You can get away with that to an extent, but you would be violating your agreement with Adobe. They intend for each license installed to be used by the same person. That license allows for installing and activating on two different machines. But the intent is to have one install at the workplace. Then another on either a laptop used by the same individual when traveling, or on their home PC so they might take work home.

Either way, the settings selected during one install won't have anything to do with the settings during the second.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you, Rick. You read my mind. I don't intend to do this then. Thanks

for clarifying.

Gloria Ryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gloria,

There is a way that you can even share the license and do not violate any agreement but this is only possible when both of you do not require to use RoboHelp simultaneously (Only one of you uses RoboHelp at a time), Adobe allows deactivating of a license on one machine and using the same license on another machine so one of you intends who wants to use the license can ask the other guy to deactivate it on his/her machine and activate using the same key and return the key when required vice-versa

But never try using this simultaneously or you will voilate the user agreement!

Hope this Helps

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2011 Mar 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

RobooAsh, as I understand it, this will only work a certain number of times before things stop cold and force the user to contact Adobe before allowing further activations.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone explain what the intent is to have 2 users on a license if the users can't use RH simultaneously?

Also, is the serial number separate from the RH8 disk? I recall at my last project that we had to search all over for documentation that included the serial number because it couldn't be found with the packaging. This was at a huge company where the purchasing department did the purchase and held the documentation with the serial number on it. It took a few weeks to locate and we were lucky we found the right person!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like many pieces of software it is there to allow the same person to have it on typically a desktop and a laptop so that the same person can work at home of offsite.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Luviola

Did you read the thread? I ask because I made an attempt at explaining just that.

My apologies, as I must have not been clear in what I wrote.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yes, Rick, you are right. You did explain it well. I guess I just needed to

clarify it. We've decided to deactivate the first user and assign the

license to me; there won't be any back and forth.

I guess I was looking for other suggestions for using the second rights to

the license other than for just the one person, but perhaps everyone figures

it out for themselves for their own situations.

thanks so much

Gloria Ryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp