• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Node is not defined" message when users click the Search or Index tab

Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2011 Mar 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use RoboHelp 8 and generate HTML help. In just the past week or so, a couple of people have reported that they are suddenly unable to use our product's help system. When they open the help and click the Index or Search tab, the following message is displayed (over and over):

Line: 3012

Char: 2

Code: 0

URI: http://<install-dir>/parent/whfhost.js

This seems to be an environmental issue, not an error in the actual help files. For example, our Support Manager can run the help on one of his machines, but not on another. So he copied the entire help directory from the "good" machine and replaced what was on the other, but saw the same issues. Also, he could run the help on both machines a short while back, and then it just stopped working. So it looks like a Windows update, software installation, or some other change to that environment caused the problem.

We've seen this happen on both Windows 7 and Windows XP.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there something I could add to or remove from the help that would get around this problem? Or something that users need to enable or disable in their environment?

I appreciate any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2011 Mar 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You say you are publishing HTML help. Given the URI returned by the error, my guess is that you're creating WebHelp not a CHM, am I correct?

What browsers are you using? If I check those lines in whfhost.js, you should only get the error message when you use Safari, Adobe Air or the deceased Netscape Navigator 7. Can you try to use the search function on the same system with different browsers: IE, FF and Safari?

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, WebHelp, not a .chm. Sorry!

Both people who've encountered this error were using IE8. Our product only runs in IE, so anyone accessing help through the product will be running IE.

I asked our support guy, Mike, to try running the help outside the product. He ran it in IE8 and had the same issues. He ran it in Firefox, and it worked fine!

When Mike was running the help in IE today, we noticed other errors beside the one I initially reported. For example, when he expands several nodes in the TOC, he gets something like "innerHeight not defined" (didn't write it down, so that might not be exactly right). All the errors point to RH .js files, but not to the same file.

Again, I'm baffled. Any help is profoundly appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are ALL the files being "pushed" or pulled, or whatever method is used to copy the output around? Like all those pesky things in the wh*data folders?

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, all of the files are installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 21, 2011 Mar 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably time for the nuclear option. That is, RH has gotten confused, so you need to take evasive action.

After creating a new SSL layout:

1. Generate to a new location on the local machine.
  2. Publish to a new location on the server.

Do not substitute new with copied!

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2011 Mar 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it, but no joy. 😞

As I said, I know of only two machines that exhibit this behavior. It's good that most customers aren't seeing this, but makes it harder to troubleshoot. I'm ready to give up on this unless I can find others who've also encountered it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 30, 2011 Mar 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is the Internet Security setting anywhere above Medium, on the problem machines?

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp