• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Corrupt File Message?

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2006 Jul 18, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting the following message when I try to open my project: "Insite Banking System Help.cpd is corrupt and cannot be opened. Try deleting this file and reopening the XPJ". But I'm clicking on the ".xpj" file-not the cpd file. And I don't know what the .cpd file is. This is very frustrating this morning so if someone could please shed some light on this I'd appreciate it. I'm using Robohelp X5. Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rreavis. The CPD file is a configuration file that if it is not present is automatically generated when the CHM file is next opened. There is a CPD file for each project (e.g. projectname.cpd). You'd be best looking at this link at Peter Grainges site. It's covers all sorts of issues to do with corrupt projects and how to recover from them. BTW you're not running RH on a network are you? If so, don't as it can cause file corruption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I renamed the .CPD file and clicked on the .HHP file and then Robohelp displayed the following message: "There is already a Project file (XPJ) for this project. Would you like to use the XPJ rather than the HHP file?" Should I click yes or no? I'm a little scared to experiment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a first step, use the XPJ file. This will recreate your CPD file. If you still have problems, you'll have to follow the advice in the earlier link. Don't worry, provided you have taken a backup of your project you will have a point to recover to if things go wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Reavis,

No fear, just do it mate.
Seriously, if you take a backup what have you got to lose? The reason that I suggested that you to delete cpd file and open up the .xpj file as the first option, is that this presents the minimal risk.

When you regenerate the help via the .hhp, things are a little different! Check out the following snippet, straight from a topic in the Robohelp online help - Safeguarding your work .

'You should note that opening a project from its .HHP file will result in the loss of the following project features:
- Information on the Topic Properties - Status tab
- Conditional build tags that are not applied to any topics or topic text
- Colors assigned to conditional build tags
- Unlinked bookmarks"

For me, regenerating using the .hhp file is the last resort as I often use the conditional build tags. You just need to be aware of the consequences, that's all.

But as you have backed up, what's the worse that can happen?

Kind Regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Close the project.
2. Take a full back up of your project.
3. Open up windows explorer. Search for the .cpd file.
4. Then open up the project by clicking on the .xpj file.

This should recreate the .cpd file (the main access database file that RH uses).

Let us know how it goes
Kind Regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help everyone. My project was saved! Now, can anyone tell me how a file becomes "corrupted"? It's not because it is on a network. The file is always saved to my C drive. I would like to avoid going through this again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Reavis,

If you could tell us what you did before the file got corrupted that would help a little? Or at least the platform/environment where you use Robohelp. What operating system are you using? are you the only author? do you use VSS, do you use Robohelp Source control, etc etc, the more information the better.

I can honestly say that Robohelp is one of the most robust programs that I have ever used. I rarely get a corrupt project/.cpd file, rarely get an unexpected closedown and pretty well push the product to the limits. We've been working on combining a lot of merged projects and had four of five RH sessions running without problems.

Like all programmes, it does not harm to close them down once in a while and consolidate things.

The only issue that comes to mind is the undo feature. If you hit Ctrl-Z enought times, robohelp will balk at you and close down.

Hope that helps
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2006 Jul 19, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well ...all I did was try to open the project and then my computer just shut down all the sudden. Then when I restarted it, and tried to open the project again, I got the corrupt file message. I'm using Windows Explorer and I am the only author. No one else has Robohelp on their computer here. My boss puts the help file in a source safe file after I send it to him so that the banks can access it, but that is all he does with it. Is VSS the source safe file? Anyway, I just hope it doesn't happen again. Thanks for the help!

If you could tell us what you did before the file got corrupted that would help a little? Or at least the platform/environment where you use Robohelp. What operating system are you using? are you the only author? do you use VSS, do you use Robohelp Source control, etc etc, the more information the better.

I can honestly say that Robohelp is one of the most robust programs that I have ever used. I rarely get a corrupt project/.cpd file, rarely get an unexpected closedown and pretty well push the product to the limits. We've been working on combining a lot of merged projects and had four of five RH sessions running without problems.

Like all programmes, it does not harm to close them down once in a while and consolidate things.

The only issue that comes to mind is the undo feature. If you hit Ctrl-Z enought times, robohelp will balk at you and close down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 19, 2006 Jul 19, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Glad you are sorted.
Just wondering, what RAM do you have on your PC? If you are working with the files locally and you have a reasonably spec'd PC you should be OK. If it happens again, it may be worth investigating the other S/W running on your PC. Best bet is to regulary backup. I still zip up an back up the project folders at least once a day (even when using VSS).

Sounds like you boss is putting the output files into source safe and using this as a method to distribute the files. Generally, as it names suggest, Visual Source Safe is used to protect the integrity of the source rather than output file.

Good luck
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp