Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking to a 'living' document in RH 8

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2011 Mar 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I posted last week regarding how to link to a living document which is currently sat on a shared drive and accessed by a number of users who update the document regularly.

I have tried to link to the document's URL as opposed to the document itself, however the link fails as the RH project is on a separate server to the shared document that I am trying to link to. Is there a way around this?

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as the URL is correct and that your users have access to the other server, there should be no reason why the link should not work. Perhaps if you post back with the path you are using we can help further.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the full path name of the file, including the drive on which the file is saved (not just the mapped letter e.g. S:/) then each of the folders and the file name e.g. xxx-xxx-xxx\xxx\folder1\folder2\folder3\document name.xls

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the addiitonal questions but what happens when you click the link? Is it just a blank screen or is there an error message. I assume you have checked that the location where you have your RH output has the right access level to the server where the Excel file is. Also I note that in your example there is a space in the file name. Personally I'd not do this. Use an underscore or not space instead as spaces can cause issues on some servers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I add the Link i now get a message which states that the URL is invalid, however I have tried both the full name of the drive and the letter of the drive that has been mapped e.g. S:\. When I generate the project I get standard this pade could not be displayed error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is really hard for us to tell you what path to use without the necessary detail. If you are unwilling to post the entire link (and I can understand why) you'll need to speak to someone internally to help you. As I said, there is no reason why the link should not work provided the link is correct and both server can "see" each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp