• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installing RoboHelp8 on Virtual Windows Server Operating System

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We would like to install RoboHelp 8.0.2 on a virtual server so that our projects can be accessed remotely. To avoid licensing issues and to stay in compliance we continue to purchase individual licenses for anyone involved with authoring. 1 license would sit on the server which would allow multiple authors to access and make changes to a single project. I suggested using RoboSource Control but no one seems to understand how it works or how to configure the installation.

I am little concerned about using RoboHelp on a virtual server as there seem to be many documented issues with RoboHelp working as expected. I need to know what operating system (Windows 2003 or Windows 2008) we should use and also any other software requirements for running RoboHelp on a Server.

Lastly, we will be moving an existing project to the new virtual server. Upon doing this all the topics/files will be moved to a new output file and the server url will also change. Are there any tips on making this a smooth transition so that we do not experience any glitches with our project?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not quite sure I understand what you are trying to do. RH is designed to be installed on local workstations working on projects located on the local machine. If I understand what you are thinking of doing, you intend to install RH on a virtual server and work on projects located on that server's "hard drive"? First, you should check the specs to ensure that RH will run on a Win 2003/2008 server O/S; second, what would this accomplish? Only 1 person at a time could "work" on the server & project - the same situation as you encounter when RH is installed on a workstation.

Maybe you need to explain what you are trying to accomplish. Are you intending on having multiple authors working on multiple projects at the same time? Or are you looking at having multiple authors working on the same project at the same time? I suspect that some sort of source control (which doesn't necessarily have to be RoboSource) is what you're looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, thank you for your reply. I am aware that RH is designed to be installed on local workstations, however, I have been given instruction to have it installed on a virtual server. Your understanding of how the virtual server works is correct... the projects would sit on the hard drive. When I use the words virtual server it is essentially acting like a pc. We are opting for this method so that multiple users can work on one project.

Having RH sit on our local machines makes it difficult to update topics as we have to send the updated topic via email to other authors so that they can import it into their project. We would have multiple authors working on 1 project but not at the same time. This would allow us to work from the same project and not have to email topics back and forth.

I agree that some sort of source control is the best option. I have suggested this idea but it was shot down. I have verified that RoboHelp will run on a Windows server. I just need to know which server (2003 or 2008) is recommended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope Jeff will not mind me adding something.

RoboHelp is not supported and likely will not run on either of those platforms.

The nearest I can think of for what you want is that you install it on a PC with a supported OS and then one person at a time can remote into it. What I cannot say is how well that will work speed-wise.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully Jeff and Peter won't mind me adding my 2p

I'd suggest you get the powers that be to rethink the source control route. It is designed for preceisly this scenario.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that source control would be the best route. Despite my best efforts to convince the decision makers of this, it has been decided to proceed with installing RH on a virtual server instead. I was able to connect with someone (outside the forums) who is accessing RH8 through a Virtual Server. They have RoboHelp installed on Windows Server 2008 and they have experienced no issues. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that we will be as lucky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have actually tried this method, having users remotely access a pc with RH installed. The project files were stored on my local hard drive which, I believe, is tied to my login. They could open the RoboHelp application but could not access any of the projects.

I granted the users remote desktop access and moved the topics to the All Users folder on the C drive - both proved to be futile efforts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It would have to be PC dedicated to the purpose and all users would have to use the same logon.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp