Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get WebHelp into SharePoint

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2009 Apr 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have a WebHelp project and need to publish it to SharePoint. Could someone point me at the directions for this, please? I can't seem to find them on adobe.com, or the forums. I don't think I have the source files, but am unsure.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 22, 2009 Apr 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the community.

If you have rights to upload files to the SharePoint server, you could try the Publish mechanism in the WebHelp SSL dialog.  On the last page of the dialog, specify a publish destination with the path to the location on the SharePoint server where you want the files to go.  Then when you're done generating, click Publish.

It's possible to view some directories on your SharePoint server in Windows Explorer and then just copy and paste the WebHelp output files to the location you want.  You would probably have to look at documentation for SharePoint for info about seeing SharePoint directories in Windows Explorer.  Our organization has SharePoint on a secure server, so I had to do something specific that I don't remember to see a certain directory in Windows Explorer.

Hope this helps,

Ben

GryphonMountain.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2009 May 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick question - What do you mean when you say 'get the WebHelp into SharePoint'?

Tell us a bit more about what you are trying to achive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 14, 2009 May 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this. I published locally and then, using a Windows Explorer view of a library in SharePoint, dragged the published folder over. However, I then had to redo it as I didn't want all files on view, only the html file that users need to click to activate the RoboHelp stuff. To do this I set all files to automatically be set to hidden (a column view I had set up) and then changed the column view to see the appropriate RoboHelp file. This seemed to work okay but I have only tried this once.

Greig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 18, 2009 May 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be a mixup in the understanding of file structures and the purpose of source control products (which SharePoint seems to be, from my read of the MS web site).

RoboHelp project source files can be stored in:

--> source control product

RoboHelp-generated WebHelp output files get generated to:

--> separate folder on writer's local machine

Generated WebHelp output files get published from writer's local machine to:

--> one or more servers

Under no circumstances are any files to be "hidden."

• To work on the project, a writer needs all project files.
  • To view WebHelp on a server, an end-user needs all WebHelp files.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 18, 2009 May 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mixups and mixups. I think the point of my message has been missed.

My suggestion of "hidden" was so that there would only be a view that allowed the user to click on the only html file that would launch the published WebHelp. And I was only talking about published WebHelp. I could have used the term "Fred" instead of "hidden" as it was only a status of a column that would be set by the user. The idea was that a view of the library containing all of the WebHelp files would only show the one file that was needed to launch the published WebHelp. I was certainly not suggesting that all other published files be hidden away where they wouldn;t be able to be accessed.

The end user certainly needs all WebHelp files to view the published WebHelp but they don't need to see all files to launch the published WebHelp. When I first put some published WebHelp into SharePoint users could see all of the files in the library and this just confused them. To get over this I set up a column with a couple of values, to allow the launch file to be viewed and easily accessed but  the other files to be "hidden", but they were still there.

Having said all that I am no SharePoint expert and have only played with libraries and their associated Web Parts, which can be manipulated to show different views on a page. I would welcome any ideas, suggestions, tips along the lines of using SharePoint as Leon has outlined in the previous post. That is, SharePoint use as:

1. source control
    2. repository of published WebHelp

Thanks,

Greig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 19, 2009 May 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greig,

My response earlier has to do with "b"—SharePoint as the repository for the files.  It sounds like you have done things correctly for that aspect.  As long as users can launch the help successfully and access everything is the main point.  If you run into any problems with users being able to access the help, post back.  Using SharePoint as source control is probably getting into a separate arena, and it's one that affects your workflow and probably doesn't (shouldn't) affect your users.

—Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2011 Apr 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've a similar situation - need to display the Webhelp in our SharePoint site.

The WebHelp topics are authored in DITA and then used a publication manager provided by the CMS vendor to get the desired output.

The output comes in the form of a zip file, which contains the images, couple of .css files, the html topics and the index (html) file.

I put the content onto our SharePoint site. However, the output is not using a frame set and coming out without the navigation pane.

The publish mechanism talked in the WebHelp SSL dialog will be of no use to me as I have not used RoboHelp (or any other HAT) to generate the help

Navigation frame is a must, else the user will get lost in information. Could someone help me in fixing this?

Subha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Subha

I'm confused. You say your help has not been produced from RoboHelp or any other HAT but you are asking on a RoboHelp forum how to make the help work.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Peter,

Thanks!

Yes, apologies. Actually, a search on WebHelp SharePoint integration landed me on this forum discussion. Little did I realize that the discussion on WebHelp was meant for RH support.

However, did some work on Frameset and started getting the desired output.

Regards,
Subha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp