Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving from RH 8 for Word to RH 9 HTML

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have been using RH 8 for Word, outputting to Microsoft HTML Help (*.chm). How do I make the conversion to RH 9 HTML? I open RH 9, and choose Import Microsoft HTML Help, but it's looking for an *.hhp file, of which I have none. I am searching the forums, since this must have a really simple answer, but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks,

Carma

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you can just choose File > Open and browse to your RHWord project. Then there'll be a wizard to choose import options.

Take a backup before you try, just in case something goes wrong.

I haven't done this, so I can't say how clean the conversion is.

Message was edited by: Amebr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Amebr,

Thank you for your response. In the meantime I found a solution. I used RH HTML to import my project as a WinHelp project (hpj) rather than as a Microsoft HTML project (chm). I could never get RH HTML to find and recognize the chm file. I don't understand that issue, but now I have my project imported into HTML so I can proceed.

Carma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you found the method I was suggesting. That is the best way, as using the CHM you would lose a lot of information about your project. The output (chm) doesn't contain a lot of the administrative information contained in your source (hpj and word files, and possibly other files also).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2011 Apr 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you just open the projectname.xpj? Doesn't it exist in RH8 for Word?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff

RoboHelp for Word is a different beast than RoboHelp HTML. I believe the project database is a different file type.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had no idea Rick - never used it when I got started on TCS2.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, it's been around for eons. Actually, it's where RoboHelp's roots are. When I began using it in 1992 it was really not much more than a Word add in. Then later it developed into a fully fledged product. Nowadays though, about the only reason I might suggest using it would be if folks still needed to create WinHelp. Some still do but it's ancient technology for help and hearkens back to Windows 3.1!

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2011 Apr 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello All,

Here's what I did to solve this problem. I went to RH9 for Word and compiled the project, and output to WinHelp. Then I was able to import the project (hpj) into HTML and proceed from there. When I was using 8, I output to Microsoft HTML (chm) format. RH HTML gives an option to import a Microsoft HTML project, but it is looking for a file of type hhp which I didn't have. My project is now a mess regarding format and fonts, but at least I can work on it.

Background (from another thread): I upgraded to Win 7 and Office 2010. I was also upgrading from RH8 to RH9. I installed RH8 on my new system, thinking that was necessary for the upgrade to 9. Was informed later that I all needed was the serial number from 8. After upgrade to 9, I uninstalled 8. At that point, 9 for Word would open but was not able to communicate with Word 2010, so that I could view the Word docs within RH, but could not edit or save them. (I was able to compile as WinHelp, as mentioned above.) Following suggestions from the other thread, I un/reinstalled 9 but that didn't solve the problem. So now I have 9 installed and I'm using 9 HTML.

I'm going to open a support case with Adobe on the issue of why I can't use 9 for Word. But the problem I posted here is solved.

Thanks!

Carma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp