• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adjusting Aspect Ratio (Cropping)...?

Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2011 Apr 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried a search, but was unable to find anything...

As a former Vegas Pro user, I'm having a challenge in using this new software to achieve certain results. I need to adjust my original aspect ratio 16:9 (1920x1080) to 4:3 (1440x1080). How is this done in Premiere Pro?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 02, 2011 Apr 02, 2011

Why would you want to do that? You can use Crop to cut off left and right, if you want to keep the square PAR.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would you want to do that? You can use Crop to cut off left and right, if you want to keep the square PAR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why?

Because I shot the original video in 1920x1080 but composed the shots in 4:3. Therefore, I want to maintain the "HD" video in a 4:3 aspect ratio. Then I can output to any format--at the highest quality.

Thanks for your help, Harm. I didn't think cropping would be a "Video Effect." The hardest part of all this is changing one's thinking from one app to another.

EDIT: Crop applies it to just the clip. How do I apply it to the entire project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll just render it out and crop that.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jay,

That makes the most sense IMO. Crop on export with AME. It even gives you some room in your original timeline to reposition your shots slightly if you want to with the final cropping in mind. Far easier than doing it on individual clips or even on a nested sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harm, I haven't yet learned all the acronyms for Premiere, so please forgive my ignorance.

What is AME?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Media Encoder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duh... Thanks, Joe!

Evidently, I'm missing a step or doing something wrong. It's still coming out 16:9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you use this setting (only an example), where you can crop your output like I did here.

2-4-2011 18-30-00.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Todd, thank you for providing those links--valuable information indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Harm. That's problem the step I was missing. I was cropping on the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines