Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects CS5 Won't Start on Mac OSX 10.6.3

May 12, 2010 May 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Production Premium arrived yesterday, and having tried all the software, After Effects is the only one that won't start.

I'm pretty sure my computer meets the spec needed.

I have Intel Core 2 Duo processor, at 2.66 GHz, with 4GB of RAM and loads of hard drive space. Premier Pro works fine, it's just After Effects.

Help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read the other recent threads on this forum and see if any of them address your issue. If not, then respond to this thread with some more information. For example, have you had a previous version of After Effects work on this same system? Exactly how are you trying to start After Effects, and exactly what happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a look at pretty much all of them. I've looked around to find more info on Rosetta, but it looks like I can't install it, as I don't have a Snow Leopard disk. This is the first version of AE I've installed, and there are no PlugIns installed.

I've tried loading it from the dock, and through the Application folder in the Finder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2010 Jun 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

most of the software from my Cs5 mastercollection wont start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem for me. AE CS 5 starts ... and stops again.

No message given. I tried starting it from the terminal ... same behaviour.

I was running AE CS 4 on the same machine before succesfully ...

MacPro 4,1 / 2 x 2.93 Xeon / 8 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and the same problem here..

Received the master collection today, everything worked perfectly except for After Effects.

The first time I launched the program the dialog box said i had to install rosetta to make After Effects work (running OS 10.6.3)

After having installed Rosetta, the AE Icon bumped a few times and then it vanished   and then nothing..

Reinstalled AE, but nothing changed..

A few bumps of the AE icon in the dock and then gone..

The Adobe After Effects Render engine starts without a problem but AE itself won't start no matter what i try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2010 May 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK so my problem is resolved.

Im not sure which one of the following fixed the issue but Im up and running:

- Removed all font conflicts

- Removed VLC and all other media players except QT

- Ran CS4 cleanup script

- Unplugged 2nd monitor

- Installed rosetta

- Boot into safe mode and repaired permissions

- Restart x 3

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 16, 2010 Jun 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks G_W.

I got it working.

Had same issue, would try to load, then crash with no error message.

I checked to make sure I had no font issues (there were none).

Ran the CS4 cleaner.

Booted into safe mode and ran Repair permissions.

Loaded After Effects in safe mode.  It loaded.

Restarted. Loaded After Effects in normal mode.  It loaded fine.

So, again, thanks for the suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2010 Jun 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great stuff. Glad it helped you out.

Cheers

Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is mine, thanks for the suggestions.

In safe mode (hold shift during boot time) I was able to start it up,

now it works in regular mode, too.

V

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yess! in safe mode it's working.

and now with a normal reboot..  

It's working aswell!  Woohoo!!

Thanks a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem but starting AE once while in safe mode seems to have fixed it. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2010 May 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've started in Safe Mode twice, ran permissions both times and was able to launch AE 10/CS5 both times successfully.  But, after a restart and a shutdown, I still can not launch AE 10/CS5 in Normal Mode.  Is there something specific this step is doing and is there a means to verify it?  Thanks, Nathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2010 May 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nathan, I'm really not sure what any of this stuff does but I thought I would just document my steps.

Maybe don't start AE in safe mode. Just repair the permissions and get out of there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2010 Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the fix. I started my Mac in safe mode as per suggestion. After Effects then launched but was quickly followed by a succession of error messages alternating between 'CT bad param: invalid translator' and then 'unknown exception'. Repeatedly closing these (they persisted for a short while) resulted in AE finally opening properly. Seems to work OK now in normal mode. Master Collection is awesome but priced to match. Would have been nice for things to work out of the box. Thanks guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news. Id loved to know why this seems to fix the problem. Any idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I have no idea why this worked. I just followed the advice of earlier posts which thankfully worked for me. (So far).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2010 May 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just experienced the same problem after installing the CS5 Master Collection, After Effects won't start. I have however found a way of getting it to start.

1. Run Finder and hold down the Control key and click once on Adobe After Effects CS5.app

This will result in a dialogue box opening

2. Click on Show Package Contents - Another finder window is opened showing a folder called Contents. Open this folder and you will see another folder called Mac OS.

3. Open the Mac OS folder and you will see a file called After Effects

4. Double click on that file and the Terminal program will run and after a few seconds After Effects will run.

Note, If you close the Terminal window, After Effects also closes.

I have no idea why this works, but it does work for me.

Perhaps the above information will be useful to those who have this problem as a temporary work around, but I do hope that with the above information, Adobe can use it to provide a proper solution to this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2010 May 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

Your tips works fine for me.

Not very user-friendly but most important is i can work on my jobs now.

Thank you very much!

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2010 Jun 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

I am pleased that it worked for you.

I have been experimenting a little more and have also discovered that if i set up a new user account on my mac and then run After Effects from there, just by double clicking on the application, it starts up properly.

I can only conclude that at least in my case, there is some problem with After Effects and my user account that is preventing it from starting properly by double clicking on the application name.

I don't know if this is of any help to you as it could be less convenient to work in a different account rather than following the other procedure that lets it start in the same account.

I have raised this problem with Adobe support, but so far the folks there have not suggested anything helpful at all...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2010 Jun 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

short explanation of what's going at least some of the issues being discussed here... (there seem to be several slightly different issues being referred to)

on a mac, an application is a folder with a .app extension that has a very strictly defined set of contents.  when you double click on a .app folder the Finder knows to look inside read a couple of files that define the application to the Finder, and then execute the program itself, which in the case of After Effects, as you noted is found at /Contents/MacOS/After Effects.

other files that you should find in the Contents directory that are required by Finder to correctly identify and launch an executable are named PkgInfo and info.plist.

if any of these files are missing or corrupt, when you double click on the icon you might get the Rosetta error. or it might not launch at all. in many cases, finding the actual executable bypasses the need for either of these files (unless the executable itself is corrupt.)  however this eventually puts some limitations on how an application can interact with the OS. so not recommended.

likeliest explanation for most of the group of issues is that the installer erred at one point or another in the installation, and left either the files or the permissions kind of borked. going by the set of issues that have been raised in this thread, using /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility to repair permissions or failing that, re-running the installer seem like the best bets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just to reiterate, you do *not* need rosetta to run After Effects, the request for rosetta is a side effect of the installation being broken and the finder misidentifying the application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I followed your advice and ran the disk utility to correct the permissions and it has worked... BRILLIANT!!!!..  Thank you so much.

Regards,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2010 Sep 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I tried repairing perms on my mac (10.6.3) but still didn't work for me. It seems that my AE stops working after I've used Adobe Media Encoder. Was working before.

I wonder if there's a way to fix this? (workaround going to package content works, but still this is just a temp solution).

Thanks in advance!

shu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines