• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open PDF Link in new window?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to create a Word document with hyperlinks to a variety of PDF files. I then want to create a PDF file from the Word document with hyperlinks intact.

Here’s the problem. The PDF file made from the Word document has its embedded links opening in the same window. I want the embedded links to open in a new window. I set up the links in the Word document to open in a new window, but when the Word document is converted to PDF, the embedded links lose their open-in-new-window property.

I know I can manually set the user preferences in Adobe Reader to not open cross-document links in same window, but that’s not the default.

Is there a script that can be run when the first PDF file is opened that automatically changes the user preferences so cross-document links open in a new window? Or is there a way to easily modify the links created during the Word-to-PDF process so that the cross-document links open in a new window?

Thanks for any help.

JBrush

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Apr 04, 2011 Apr 04, 2011

If you don't mind spending a little cash (after a free trial) take a look at Evermap Autobookmark, which can do all sorts of adjustments to links and bookmarks without visiting each one again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2011 Apr 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that pressing Ctrl will open a PDF link in its own window. I can reference this trick on the opening PDF page, but I'd rather Acrobat do it itself.

I can also manually relink all the files on the opening PDF page and specify "open in new window," but that's a pain to do.

I'm still hoping someone has a quick way of reconfiguring the PDF links to open in a new window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 04, 2011 Apr 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't mind spending a little cash (after a free trial) take a look at Evermap Autobookmark, which can do all sorts of adjustments to links and bookmarks without visiting each one again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2011 Apr 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

Perfect, albeit expensive, solution. I downloaded the trial version of Autobookmark and it did exactly what I wanted. Thanks for the suggestion. Now I need to convince my boss to spend $189.

. . . John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 05, 2011 Apr 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John;

You may also want to explore the options/changes in the various versions of Acrobat. The later versions default to 'new window' for each pdf document, with 'same window' an option (in Edit>Preferences) only for cross-document links.  Nevertheless, if you want to have ultimate control and the ability to modify hyperlink conversions, Autobookmark or similar software will be the answer.  You also get outstanding customer support for your money.

If you ever have problems moving interlinked pdf's and lose the link connections (the relative-versus-absolute issue), Autobookmark is invaluable in identifying the broken links and then putting them right. In my case it saved so much time that the $99 (at the time) was a bargain. Hope our moderators don't mind the 'plug', but it really rounds-off a lot of Acrobat's link and bookmark functionality. (I have no connection with them, and my free upgrades just ran out after 5 years, so I need to spend $37 for the latest upgrade).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2011 Aug 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stumbled across this while trying to do a very simple project (or so I thought).  I also wanted my links

to other pdf files to open in a seperate Adobe window (not a browser window).  I can't seem to get it to work.

I tried right-clicking and selecting open in new window - didn't work.  I downloaded AutoBookmark as well.  It still didn't open in a new window after setting the option to do so for all links.

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2011 Aug 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you opening the pdf files from within the browser? If so, maybe that's

why new pdf files are also opened in the browser. If you're opening the pdf

files from within Acrobat, I don't understand how they are opening within

the browser. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2011 Aug 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was actually making things more difficult than it really was.  Someone pointed me to the Document:Attach.  That's exactly what I was looking for to get a main document, with attached documents that would open in as seperate adobe window.

Thanks for taking the time to reply 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2011 Jul 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you specify it to 'open in new window'? I do not have many links to do this to, so it w

ould not be a pain for me to reset them all, but I do not know how it is done. Can you explain?

(I have links to external web pages from the pdf (advertisers in a magazine), and I do not want to lose my reader because they were directed away from the original pdf publication.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2011 Jul 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opening in a new window isn't a problem if you're opening a Web page instead of another PDF document.

Assuming your PDF document is opened in Acrobat Reader, when a reader clicks a link their Web browser will open and go to that link, while leaving your PDF document alone and still open.

Now if your PDF document is opened within the Web browser, then what happens when a reader clicks a link is dependent on how they have their Web broswer configured. I see no option in Acrobat that specifies opening a URL in a new browser window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines