• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Browse Sequence Editor

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2011 Apr 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am building a WebHelp tool in RoboHelp 8 for Windows. I have no idea which browsers my users will

employ, but we have decided NOT to go with a CHM solution for a variety of technical reasons. So we will deliver a folder of htm topics to

a server-based location and provide each user with a link to the index file.

According to everything I have read, I should be able to create browse sequences for my users to follow, but I don't see how it works. When I was building CHM files, it worked great for me, except it seemed to require that I install a special file on each user's PC, which was unfeasible to do.

In my single-source layout pod, I select WebHelp and on the second screen make sure that Browse Sequence is selected in the Additional Options region. Under the Tools menu in RoboHelp, I have created half a dozen sequences.

When I generate the webhelp file and open it in Internet Explorer, though, I don't see anything resembling a browse sequence.

So what have I done wrong? Or are browse sequences not supported in WebHelp?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 04, 2011 Apr 04, 2011

Not that I'm aware of. Browse sequences are not widely used these days, especially with WebHelp output.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are expecting a bar similar to the Browse Sequence bar in CHM files, think again. In WebHelp they do not appear like that. In your skin file, ensure you have the buttons setup correctly. If they are, they appear in the output just above the tri-pane tab. There is also no way of knowing whether a topic forms part of a Browse Sequence until you click on it. See the example below:

bs.png

Notice the left / right arrow above the TOC. As I have clicked on the "About Table Structure" topic which is the last topic in a Browse Sequence the left arrow is active. If I click it, the right arrow becomes active also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Colum.

I am seeing those arrows already. So, in effect, the user has to stumble upon one of the sequences, at which point they don't know what's next (or prior) in the sequence or even the fact that they're in the midst of a sequence at all. If anything, the presence of those arrows may confuse the user, as to why they're jumping around the TOC so wildly!

The visual cues of the series of topics were so useful when I was building CHMs out of RoboHelp! I guess I can tweak the skin a little, but I don't see a lot of use to browse sequences in WebHelp.

Is there something else can be done to enhance browse sequences in WebHelp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I'm aware of. Browse sequences are not widely used these days, especially with WebHelp output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's a shame. It's a nifty little feature when it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

You might consider submitting a Feature Request asking for an improvement in the way Browse Sequences are implemented for web based outputs.

For example, I could envision perhaps a tab alongside the TOC/Index/Glossary whatever that would present something akin to what the CHM files had. Or even some indication inside the topic as you see when you generate WebHelp without using a skin.

Link to the wish form is in my sig lines.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rick. I put in the request.

As I recall, much as I loved browse sequences in the CHM output file, it was a bear getting them to work for all the users. We were required to install a file on their systems, which was unlikely to happen and eliminated the usefulness of and otherwise handy little function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp