• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flex components on a AS 3.0 project in Flashbuilder 4 ?

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2011 Apr 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys,

I'm a bit torn here. I own both Flash Professional CS5 and Flash Builder 4.

As i'm growing into Actionscript 3.0 development i'm trying to find my ground on what program i'd be better off using.

I like Flash Professional, but find that for now, i haven't got much use for a timeline, I prefer to code everything on stage & I miss the code-window and the assisting tools Flash Builder has for programmers.

Choosing Flash Builder 4 and learning Actionscript 3.0 i've ended up wanting to create a new Actionscript 3.0 Project .

Then it occured to me that i'm missing out on all the flex components (like for instance the TextInput control) that are to my disposal when starting a Flex-project.

Is there a way to gain access and proper use to these components whilst working in Flash Builder on an Actionscript 3.0 project ?

Another option - I hear you say- would be to get into Flex and MXML, wich scares me a bit, but i've just set my mind to learning AS 3.0 and feel bad about abandoning these plans allready in order to learn another language just yet ?

Any advice and good tips are more then welcome,

Thanks for reading,

Regards,

Bert

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Apr 08, 2011 Apr 08, 2011

first under your actionscript3 project in FB, go to Project/Properties and add a reference to the component source directory under the Src Tab as opposed to the Library (swc) tab. I tried it with Flash CS4 but I also have CS5 that I did not try it with.

here is at least my link to the src directory (that contains fl  etc)

C:/Program Files (x86)/Adobe/Adobe Flash CS4/Common/Configuration/Component Source/ActionScript 3.0/User Interface

screenshot:

http://trumpboston.com/graphics001/srcpath.jpg

source

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2011 Apr 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really nobody ?

I was thinking this would be an easy question ..

Anybody ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 07, 2011 Apr 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What components are you referring to as to missing  I will give you some examples when I understand it better

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2011 Apr 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello dpierce747, thanks for responding.

When I open a new Actionscript 3.0 project in FlashBuilder 4 i get default access to the Flash.* packages.

The ActionScript 3.0 Language and Components Reference teaches me that this gives me access to the Flash Player API wich refers to all packages, classes, functions, properties, constants, events, and errors that are in the flash package.

What i don't -automatically- get is access to the other classes for ActionScript authoring wich are in the fl.* packages.

When creating a new Flex project in FlashBuilder 4 these packages are readely available to me.

I'm wanting to use the fl.controls package wich contains top-level component classes such as List, ButtonProgressBar and TextInput (wich i'm after the most)

(see http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/9.0/ActionScriptLangRefV3/package-summary.html )

Any advice ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

first under your actionscript3 project in FB, go to Project/Properties and add a reference to the component source directory under the Src Tab as opposed to the Library (swc) tab. I tried it with Flash CS4 but I also have CS5 that I did not try it with.

here is at least my link to the src directory (that contains fl  etc)

C:/Program Files (x86)/Adobe/Adobe Flash CS4/Common/Configuration/Component Source/ActionScript 3.0/User Interface

screenshot:

http://trumpboston.com/graphics001/srcpath.jpg

source code test:

http://pastie.org/1771742

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dearest dpierce747,

You are a lifesaver !

As you said, the answer was in adding a component source directery opposed to a library.

Tanks alot !

- Now only to make it look, set its style, like the flex component -

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can also, instead of creating a new ActionScript project, create a new Flex project, but before clicking on finish, rename the main .mxml file to .as

so you'll have an ActionScript project with the flex libraries

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2013 May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@greengnu

Does your suggestion still work under 4.7?

Or is there another step required?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines