• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

(RH8) Preserving HTML view changes in WYSIWYG mode?

Engaged ,
Apr 05, 2011 Apr 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a previous post, captiv8r (rick) explained how to customize the behaviour of SeeAlso objects -- to make the list of topics appear even if there was only one (rather than jumping straight to that topic, I had to add "<param name=flags value="1">" to the object's code in HTML view.

And it worked! Yay!

Now... If I go into WYSIWYG mode afterward (after saving the change) and then switch back to HTML mode, the modification is gone.

I found an old post (via google) (from 2006 or so) where the suggestion was to make the change in HTML mode, save, load a different topic in WYSIWYG, then return to the original topic. I just tried that, and it didn't work.

So... the question is -- how (if possible) can I retain my HTML changes if I go in to design mode (without making any changes), even)?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 05, 2011 Apr 05, 2011

Hello again

Ouch! Sorry about that.

Indeed I recall that was an issue (and apparently still is). You have to love it when RoboHelp ever so helpfully rewrites your changes. NOT!

You might try the following approach.

After making the edit, close the topic without revisiting the WYSIWYG editor. That should hopefully coax the changes to stick. Assuming this works, the issue then becomes how to remain aware that the change will need to be made each time the topic is edited. Grrrr

Definitely report to Adob

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Ouch! Sorry about that.

Indeed I recall that was an issue (and apparently still is). You have to love it when RoboHelp ever so helpfully rewrites your changes. NOT!

You might try the following approach.

After making the edit, close the topic without revisiting the WYSIWYG editor. That should hopefully coax the changes to stick. Assuming this works, the issue then becomes how to remain aware that the change will need to be made each time the topic is edited. Grrrr

Definitely report to Adobe as a BUG and ask them for a way to indicate certain changes should be left alone.

One possible workaround. Seems sorta icky, but may be a solution. Edit a different topic. Insert the control and link it to two topics. One is the desired topic you wish to see. The other is the topic that will be presenting the link when clicked by the user. Copy the button and paste into the desired topic. Then edit the code to remove the text part that appears when the user clicks. Remove it from both areas of the code. Once you do this there will *APPEAR* to be a single link. There will also be a blank space below the link. Clicking the link should work and clicking the blank space should reload the topic as it's really linked to the topic.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Rick.

• Report to Adobe as a bug -- Will do.
  • Workaround - Applies to the 'Related Topics' control. Nice and kludgey, I 'like' it 🙂 Thanks -- Yes, the blank line appears and functions as you described. I'll take it!
    Note: The workaround does not apply to the 'See Also' control -- that control doesn't include the text that you can modify (I'm not sure how the control works), so I'll use the Related Topics control instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops! My bad. I was thinking you were using Related Topics not See Also. Clearly my mistake and I apologize for that.

I'll see if I can figure a similar workaround for the See Also.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

I do believe I have some good news! I've found a way that works for me. It also survives the good old WYSIWYG editor changes. Are you ready?

The first thing I did was to note the code in the HTML. There is a block that's green and that's design time code. I ignored that code. It's the dark red code I refer to as the "workhorse" code. It's the code the compiler cares about.

Sooo, I took that code and copied to Good old Windows Notepad. Then I fashioned some JavaScript statements to perform a "write in".

Next, I deleted the control from the topic. Instead, I clicked Insert > HTML... > Advanced... > Script. This produced a small window where I pasted the script.

Below is my script:

document.write('<object classid="clsid:ADB880A6-D8FF-11CF-9377-00AA003B7A11" id="SeeAlso"  type="application/x-oleobject">');
document.write('<param  name="Command"  value="ALink,MENU" />');
document.write('<param  name="Button"  value="Text:See Also" />');
document.write('<param  name="Font"  value="Arial,8,0,," />');
document.write('<param  name="Frame"  value="" />');
document.write('<param  name="Item1"  value="" />');
document.write('<param  name="Item2"  value="xxx" />');
document.write('<param name=flags value="1">');
document.write('</object>');

Copy that and paste into the small window. After you do this, change the xxx value to reflect your See Also keyword.

Give that a go and let us know how you fare!

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, now you're scaring me 🙂

That worked perfectly! THANK YOU.

--------------------- Additional Info about the 'Related Topics' workaround --------

Just as an aside (to anyone who works through the thread this far)...

If you do the 'Related Topics' workaround as described and use the 'View Selected Item' icon, the button will not show the workaround solution -- it will jump straight to the related topic. However, when you build your .chm (that's the only one I tried), it will show the workaround solution (one topic, plus a 'blank line').

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LOL - Doing the happy dance.

(click to see animation)

stickton_thumbs_up_jump_150_clr.gif

Note that the document.write solution should also work for the Related Topics too.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp