• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem creating ePub

Apr 06, 2011 Apr 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am having issues creating an ePub using RoboHelp 9. I have followed all the instructions provided using the help, including defining an XML Output and defining a TOC. Nevertheless, each time I generate the ePub, I get a warning message that the "TOC is missing," but when I close it another message appears saying "Script executed successfully!" Then when it opens the ePub in the default reader (FBReader), it shows only the master page of the project. I tried running this about 50 times, always with the same results. In the XML Output Options dialog box I tried both "Export Project to XHTML" and "Export Project to DocBook" as the handler with no luck. Whether "Apply to all topics" is selected or not makes no difference, I get the same result.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Apr 08, 2011 Apr 08, 2011

Hi,

Just wanted to share the information with all the users, ePub generation issue faced by Chrissy was due to some settings issue in his OS.

epub script is based on XML output SSL, and on his machine XML output was not working. XML output uses xcopy command to copy some topics, and on his machine c:\windows\system32 was not part of Path environment variable. and hence XML output generation was giving error that xcopy is not a valid command and hence XML output was not generating TOC file and henc

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Does your project contains any space or special characters. If yes, please create a new project which does not contain space or special characters and try ePub output again.

Thanks

Praful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that is not the problem, take a look at the supplied samples.

Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left.

Both have working layouts and instructions on creating an ePub.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I tried running the default ePub generator in the samples--they're already preconfigured. I get the same result and the ePub is blank.

I am starting to think I have problems with the installed RoboHelp build. Between this problem and the frequent crashes/hanging...

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by create a new project? You mean change the project name or modify the files in the project? There aren't special characters being used per say.   is used to define spaces in code, but I don't know if that would make a difference.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try downloading Adobe Digital Edition for testing the ePub output. The Sample project in RH9 also contains a generated ePub file C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 9\RoboHTML\Samples\en_US\Salesbuilder\Assets\Salesbuilder-Help.epub try running this file on your machine and see if you are able to see the ePub output in the FBReader or not.

thanks

Praful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to open and view the existing Salesbuilder-Help.epub successfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you are able to see the Sales Builder ePub file, now can you try creating a new project with one topic and create a TOC for this project and now create ePub output for this new project. this can help in root causing the issue.

-Praful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even with a new project with two topics and a TOC I get the same exact results. But since there is no master page, the ePub is blank. No text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you read the instructions in the samples. I believe both have instructions, certainly they are in Employee Care.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the instuctions in Employee Care, all I need to do is run the script to generate the ePub. When I do, without having changed any of the settings, I get the same "TOC is missing" error.

I just started using Adobe Digital Editions. When I try to open the EmployeeCare.epub that I generated in that app it crashes. It won't properly display the Salesbuilder-Help.epub that I generated. So it has nothing to do with the type of reader since I used two different ones with the same results.

This issue has something to do with RoboHelp not being able to properly generate an ePub. Doesn't matter if you use a sample project that ships with the product or a new project from which to generate the ePub, it doesn't work.

Does anyone else have the same problem with RoboHelp 9?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 07, 2011 Apr 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, what do people suggest? No matter what I do, the TOC is missing. Should I reinstall RoboHelp HTML in your opinion? Will doing so affect the activation of the software--in other words, will I need a new serial key?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 07, 2011 Apr 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

you can contact me offline @ praful@adobe.com. Will try to see ePub is not working for you.

thanks

Praful Jain

Adobe RoboHelp Team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 08, 2011 Apr 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just wanted to share the information with all the users, ePub generation issue faced by Chrissy was due to some settings issue in his OS.

epub script is based on XML output SSL, and on his machine XML output was not working. XML output uses xcopy command to copy some topics, and on his machine c:\windows\system32 was not part of Path environment variable. and hence XML output generation was giving error that xcopy is not a valid command and hence XML output was not generating TOC file and hence the TOC file missing error in ePub generation script.

The solution was to add c:\windows\system32 in the path variable, close robohelp and open it again and every thing started working fine.

hope this will help other users.

thanks

Praful jain

Adobe RoboHelp Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just want to publically thank Praful, his assistance was invaluable. Thanks for your patience and perseverance in helping me resolve this frustrating, problematic issue.

Regards,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some months now Praful and his colleagues have increasingly supported these forums. That is over and above their job descriptions and very welcome. There are many things that us old stagers can help with but at the end of the day we are users and don't have the depth of technical knowledge that some questions require. That is where the help from Praful and his colleagues is invaluable so I will support that vote of thanks.

Thanks Adobe guys and gals.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2011 May 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very appreciate Praful_Jain! You have showed us a considerate and heuristic problem solving process that sometimes we should use a elimination method to find out the root cause of problem.

Apart from a good ePub Creator, the configuration and OS settings need to be taken into account and often involves some reinstallations and rebuild.

I have learned something about ePub format from you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2012 Mar 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting error generating ePub output. Have updated the PATH variable, but still getting the same error. The Digital Editions console displays following message when I attempt to open the ePub output - Minor error in generating ePub output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2012 Mar 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which RoboHelp version are you using and which script are you using? Do you see any errors in the RoboHelp console log?

Greet,

willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2012 Mar 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using RH 9. No, I dont see any errors in the RoboHelp output log.

I am sort of disappointed with Adobe's support so evaluating Webworks ePublisher and so far the sample output looks great

Thanks,

Ruchita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2012 Mar 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, so after conversing with Praful about my system path (which, incidentally, didn't need modification at all and was working just fine and dandy with the system32 path already there), I still get a TOC error.

System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

7zip: latest build

RoboHelp: 9.0.2 in ATCS3

Thus far, I have:

1. Removed all the spaces from my Project Name and ePub outputs per this post: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3155109#3155109

2. Followed Praful's instructions to the letter after contacting him to find out exactly how one goes about adding the system32 to the Path variables.

3. Run the generator fifty-nine times.

Out of those fifty-nine times, I have also:

A. Downloaded 32-bit 7zip and used it as the Zip source, and it craps the bed with a TOC Missing error. No go.

B. Downloaded 64-bit 7zip and used it as the Zip source, and it craps the bed with a TOC Missing error. No go.

C. Downloaded zip.exe as requested, used it as the Zip source, HOORAY! It works!

D. Try to replicate, it goes back to 7zip and craps the bed. KHAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Now, I've done this on my C drive (an SSD) and my E drive (a regular storage drive) and used RoboHelp in both locations, doing both on the C and the E drive so that all is contained (project, folder, output, everything) in the same location. I've done this on clean systems and "dirty" systems, and every. SINGLE. TIME. RoboHelp cheerfully informs me that there is no TOC file.

When this happens, it is ALWAYS when it tells me to use 7zip instead of, say "zip.exe".

robohelp_epubbedcrapping.png

Like so.

My default ePub reader has been Adobe Digital Editions. It still does this.

I changed the default ePub reader to Sony Reader Library. It still does this.

I changed the default ePub reader to Calibre. IT STILL DOES THIS.

I've done it with the C drive as the sole environment system.

I've done it with the E drive as the sole environment system.

I even installed RoboHelp on a computer with a single hard drive and did nothing but generate this file.

When RoboHelp asks me for zip.exe location, it compiles BEAUTIFULLY.

But then it goes right back to 7zip and craps the bed.

Now, when I say "It still does this", I mean I reverted to all the variables from that point forward. So when you get to "C drive as the sole environment system" that means everything above it, I did with that final condition.

So to answer the pending question, "What's your system?" it is in Windows 7 Professional running 64-bit.

Yes, I've tried Praful's system path variable.

Yes, I've tried clean installs.

Yes, I've tried it on a solo hard drive.

Yes, I've tried it on a clean build of Win7.

Yes, I've tried all of this.

It is still crapping the bed when it gets to the TOC Path missing.

As others have stated, there are no errors in the log. There's no unreferenced files, no weirdness in the naming conventions of the project, nothing.

But if it goes to 7zip, it craps the bed.

If it stays with zip.exe, it's fine.

So, what else can you guys help out here with? This is not a terribly hard thing - to compile an ePub really ISN'T that hard. But what I need to know is what else could I possibly do to fix this?

Is there a setting to make the zip.exe the ONLY zip extension in the script? That seems to work, but RoboHelp likes to jump back to 7zip.

Like others, I've followed these instructions extremely carefully, but there always seems to be an "oh yeah, make sure...." that comes along with RoboHelp that never gets linked up in the manuals.

So what's the next "Oh yeah, make sure?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp