Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot install Framemaker 8 on Windows server 2008R2

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2011 Apr 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I try to install Framemaker 8 on WS2008R2 and it goes until the application registration and fails and then rolls back to remove it.

In the event viewer I have :

Event ID 11708      Product: Adobe FrameMaker v8 -- Installation operation failed.

Event ID 1033        Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Adobe FrameMaker v8. Product Version: 8. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Adobe Systems. Installation success or error status: 1603.

Any clue is welcomed !

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect the "clue" is that Server 2008 wasn't one of FM8's supported platforms, so the installer check is probably failing (as it was designed to do).

If I were you, I'd simply install on a supported platform or Windows 7, because even if you could set things up so you could get the software on board, you'd be likely to find some things that either don't work or don't work the way you'd suspect them to and be without recourse to fix things because Server may lack some required .dlls or other bits and pieces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that even a supported O/S for FM8? I'd check with Adobe on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christophe,

If it is possible at all (see other comments) I would suggest to use the installer with the so-called SP3-fix, available here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=22&platform=Windows

There have been recent reports that installation from optical media may sometimes fail or create incomplete installations. So in general it is a good idea to copy the installation files to a harddisk first.

- Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an Adobe kb article that might have some solutions. Even though it's referring to CS4 or CS4.  I've had occasion to use the "Adobe Cleaner Tool" to clean out a Windows Server 2008 install of FM that went haywire (the system did not have any CS products installed). Be sure to reboot prior to trying to install FM again.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408716.html

Error 1603 | Install | CS3, CS4 products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2011 Apr 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help, but installing the fixed version for XP SP3 or use the adobe cleaner doesn't solve the problem 😞

I hope FM 10 is supported on WS2008R2 (I need to have have it on a server with TSE connections)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're going to be authoring in FM through a Terminal Server? Have you done this before? What's the speed like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to be looking at FM Server, not FM....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FrameMaker 10 is not officially supported on WIndows Server. FrameMaker 10 Server is officially support on Windows Server 2008.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope FM 10 is supported on WS2008R2 (I need to have have it on a server with TSE connections)

There is a different version of FM sold for servers:

<http://www.adobe.com/products/framemakerserver.html>. That's probably

what you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the record, there's no functional or installational difference between desktop and server for FM8 or FM9, it's only a licensing difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2012 May 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We just ran into the same problem, FM8 wouldn't install on Windows 2008 R2 Server. The solution is to run setup.exe in compatibility mode.

1. Right-click setup.exe
  2. "Troubleshot compatibility"
  3. Run setup.exe in XP compatibility mode

After that FM8 installed without problems. Patches install normally. FM8 itself runs fine on this platform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 03, 2012 May 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Everyone,

Fm 8 is not supported in Windows Server 2008 R2.

Reason:-

When we launched Frame 8 server 2008 was not even there.

Frame 9 was there when server 2008 was launched however you cannot even install Frame 9 on server 2008.

You might get it install with Compatibilty mode however you might run into problems like crash or other functonality issues and according to Adobe its not supported.

Thanks

Harpreet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines