Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH9 ShortCut Help Control

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2011 Apr 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We are using the evaluation copy of RoboHTML 9 on a Windows 7 64bit machine. We are considering upgrading from x5. We are creating Microsoft HTML Help chm files.  I'm having a problem with ShortCut Button Text. I convert an x5 project that uses Shortcut HTML Help Controls. All the shortcuts in every topic now appear with "value" as the button text. I try changing to the text I want and it appears correctly in Design. I then save the file and it still appears correctly. I open another topic, then come back to the topic with the shortcut and the text is back to "value". I've tried changing it in the HTML code also in <param name="ControlLabel" value="value" /> and <param name="Button" value="Text:value" /> but the same thing still occurs. Note the "value" text in these. I change "value" to something like "Yes" and it reverts back to "value" after doing the above.

I tried inserting a new Shortcut on an existing and new topic but the same thing happens with these as above.

However creating a new project does not experience the above problem. It appears to have something to do with the project conversion.

Does anyone know what is causing this? Is this a known problem or something with using an evaluation copy? We use shortcuts in a number of places and would need to know how to fix this before purchasing RH9. I can't see having to start all over again with a blank project.

Files are on the local drive, not network.

Thanks

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2011 Apr 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John

Couple of things I'd be checking here.

1. I'd begin by first ensuring I have a backup copy of the old X5 project. Once you are sure you are good there, try clicking Tools > Update DHTML Effects in Topics. I'm not certain this will have any effect, but suppose it's worth trying.

2. When you examine the HTML code behind a Shortcut control, you should find there are two distinct areas. One appears with green text. That code is the "Design Time" code. The darker red code that immediately follows is the actual code used by the compiler. I find that often when copy controls I have to resort to amending things via HTML view. And some values are repeated more than once in the Design Time code.

I might suggest trying just removing all the green Design Time code leaving behind only the darker red code. RoboHelp should re-add the Design Time code for you if you do this. Maybe it will work differently this way.

Another possibility would be to click Tools > Options > General category and enable the option labeled Convert RoboHelp-edited topics to HTML. Again, I'm uncertain it will have any effect, but it's worth trying.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2011 Apr 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried them all, but unfortunately nothing worked.

I tried something else. I started a brand new project then created a page with a shortcut. All worked correctly with the shortcut including the text. I then, imported one html page into the new RH9 project from the x5 project and again this imported page keeps insisting to show "value" for the text. The previously created new page still appears properly.

Is there anything else we can try. This would be a huge problem if we are unable convert our x5 projects to RH9.

I can send you the little test project/html page if that would help.

Thanks

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John

If you can, please do send along one of the problem pages so I can test first hand.

As an FYI, I tried creating an X5 project containing a Shortcut control, then upgraded it by opening in RoboHelp HTML 9. I cannot reproduce the issue on my end. Granted, I have a licensed copy of RoboHelp HTML, but to my knowledge, that shouldn't be making a difference.

Oh, and one other thing that may help would be to record some of this process using Jing, then insert the link from the Jing recording into this thread.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Attached are the 2 html files. One is the x5 and the other is the resulting RH9.

Sorry, I don't know what Jing is.

Thanks for your help in trying to find a solution.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John

Sorry, but you will need to eMail the files to my personal eMail account. rstone75 (at) kc (dot) rr (dot) com because the forums disallow attachments.

Jing is a free screen recording application. http://www.techsmith.com/jing/

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't do attachments in the forum - send to him directly & quote this thread

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

I did exactly what you did including using your description and it works here also.

I then tried to get my description text of Yes in there and same thing happened again where "value" came back. Played around some more with it and stumbled into entering "Yes ". Meaning after Yes I entered a space. It worked! I can just enter Yes followed by a space in the properties dialog and it sticks after saving. I know that sounds strange but I tried it a few times with and without the space and it was consistent where it worked and failed.

I can properly work with this and make changes to the other pages I have.

Thank you very much for your help. Video was very helpful.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Interesting to say the least! If I try using just "Yes", I get the same thing.

Must be a reserved word or something.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp