• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 10 and Windows 7

Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2010 Jan 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been running Illustrator 10 on XP for some time now without any problems.

I have just bought a new computyer and installed Windows 7 Home Premium.

I have loaded Photoshop CS2 with no problems but after going through the loading of Illustrator 10, which it did as normal, it won't open the programme. It shows it but when the icon is clicked it briefly shows the loading screen and then returns to the W7 desktop.

Do I need a newer version of Illustrator or is ther a fix lurking somewhjere that I can load?

Duncan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2010 Jan 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I need a newer version of Illustrator

99% yes. A few people have had luck with compatibility modes, but these cases seem to be rare. Just too much AI doesn't like about W7. If you have W7 Business or Ultimate, you can of course always use the XP Virtual Machine.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2010 Feb 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Duncan,

sorry to say, but the moderator's answer is not correct. Reading your conversation three days ago lead me to two days of agony in how I would get an urgent AI-file finished (which I did at someone else's office).

I also own illustrator 10 (updated today on 10.03 via adobe.com) and - since a couple of days - windows7, and I today found out. Yes, there is an easy-to-use tool integrated in windows 7 to help run older software versions which ran under XP and do not immediately run under 7:

Right-click on the illustrator symbol under your start menue -> all software (it must be the original symbol, not a short-cut) . A menue will be displayed with several options. Click on the second one from above (on my German PC it reads "Behandeln von Kombatibilitaetsproblemen", in English it would be something like "treating combatibility problems"). Sit back, relax, let windows do the mostly automatic 2-minutes-fixing tour, and enjoy illustrator 10 under windows7.

Andrea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the info Andrea, I appreciate your help. I am not sure but I don't think that the XP facility is included in Windows 7 Home edition. I will have a look though.

Cheers

Duncan

COME AND RELAX IN THE VINEYARDS OF BLAYE

Stay in our comfortable Holiday Gîte in France

http://www.andrewsinfrance.co.uk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Duncan,

I use Windows 7 Home Premium.

I assume this tool is included in all versions of Windows 7 and is one of the many features which make Windows 7 so distinctively more comfortable than earlier Windows versions.

Andrea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrea, I just sorted it, I checked here too.

http://www.techiesouls.com/2009/05/10/how-to-run-xp-compatible-files-in-windows-7/

Boy do I feel better now!!

Thanks again

Duncan

COME AND RELAX IN THE VINEYARDS OF BLAYE

Stay in our comfortable Holiday Gîte in France

http://www.andrewsinfrance.co.uk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 21, 2010 May 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Andrea!

Working great and just as you explained. Much appreciated, and much more cost-effective, great relief!

Dawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2010 May 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an up date, in copatable mode I found that although the 'Save for web' facility only gave me a pink square it actually works fine and the image is saved OK.

I had the opportunity to try CS4 Illustrator and found it so complicated and cocky I have decided to stay with 10!

Why won't some people realize that slicker and complicated is not Better

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2012 Aug 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I have been going nuts trying to fixmy Illustrator 10. I kept getting a pop up saying Acrobat PDF file not enough momory.Couldn' t even open a new file. I ltried your fix and turned compatibility back to XP and now it works just fine. You  are awesome!!!

Tanya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2011 Apr 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need Windows 7 - PROFESSIONAL to run it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2011 Apr 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know.

Although it pains me to say it, I haved changed to CoreDRAWX4 and now I have got my head round it's basics I must say that I prefer it ( to 10 )  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 12, 2011 Apr 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It don't pain me, i switched to Freehand, so much better than illy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2014 Feb 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator 10 runs fine on Windows 7.   Virtual XP is not required.

I have been running it ever since I installed 7.

The probable problem is RAM.

Runs fine with 2 GB RAM.

When I upgraded to 4 GB I got the same problem as you described. it.  Error code says it is a memory access violation.

I bought  4 GB ram of a different type with the same result.

Pull one of the two 2 GB modules and Illustrator runs again.

Illustrator 10 is just incompatible with more than 2 GB of RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2015 Sep 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrea,

Your info was beatifully explained and resolved my issue in 9 seconds. I am now enjoying the software Adobe Illustrator 10 as you stated.

Enjoy the good qualities of life!

Chapel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I need Illustrator 10 for windows 8.1 64 bit...

any one can help me.....?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines