Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can't disable "take a snapshot" function in Reader X

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2011 Apr 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I know this might be a trivial question but I can't disable "take a snapshot" function. In previous versions I could change it to scroll screen by hand or smth like that. Here, once I tick it on in edit menu, I can't disable it and change back to normal state. This is not convinient because whenever I click somewhere, all page is copied to clipboard...

Im just wondering why Adobe Reader programist don't make such tools idiot resistable. Here is my example 🙂

Thaks and regards

Paul

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 15, 2011 Apr 15, 2011

Press Esc key.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2011 Apr 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Press Esc key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2015 Jul 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't actually work for me.

I hit ESC, but it stays selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Esc key removed the snap shot symbol. Fantastic, it worked. Immense thansk to Shri Bernd Alheit. God bless you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2012 Feb 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It took me awhile to fine the answer so although this is almost a year old I thought I should post it. Just hit the escape key. I had the same problem & saw your posting when i googled it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2013 Feb 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who is the moron that decided <ESC> was better than just clicking another select tool or just cliking snapshot again, then decided not to tell anyone?????   I wasted 45 minutes of my life looking for this answer.  Thanks Bernd or I would have wasted more of my life. 

REMEMBER when Acrabat was user friendly??????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I'm also seaching for the answer how to select table cloumn, but cannot find this feature. In notepad++ it can be found in a minute. What a shame for adobe. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something like tables or table columns doesn't exists in PDF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 07, 2014 Feb 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel so silly after wasting almost 30 minutes to figure out this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2014 Sep 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's worse than that, and the same problem exists in Pro.  There was a time when simply selecting an area with the cursor and hitting control or command C copied the contents in the highlighted box.  not any more.  you have to enable snapshot.  it doesn't seem to do anything rational when you try to select the old way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2015 Jul 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe,

This UX is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!!!

Please consider actually testing your UX designs on real people before you release them to the public so you can discover these bad design choices before you inflict them on your users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2015 Aug 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same problem of not being able to drag text to copy it.  The 'take a snapshot' function is permanently enabled and the drag function with the 'I' bar is disabled.  Hitting the 'Esc' key does nothing but take away the check mark next to the 'take a snapshot' key.

Who has the fix?  Thanks

Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be late in the game, but try this: Assuming "Take a snapshot" is checked, you've clicked the document and got the snapshot, but no longer want the option. 
To turn off snapshot:

Go to Tools, click on Edit PDF on the menu screen--the document will reappear with sections in boxes.

Click on Edit PDF in the toolbar, click on Back to Document. That should do it.
Verify by clicking on Edit again. The checkmark should no longer be there.  

There might be an easier or alternative way to turn it off, but this works for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit PDF is not available in Adobe Reader X!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EXACTLY...Still waiting for the fix. The thread started in 2012, yet we are all still here, waiting. This feature is very handy, when you need to copy smthg. But when you are trying to move around on an expanded engineering drawing, I know my clipboard overwhelmed! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just right click anywhere in the document and select selection tool and you are back to selection and reading mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

none of these answers work for me in adobe pro. I cannot get rid of snapshot being selected and the gridlines appearing everywhere. I contacted adobe and they couldn't figure it out either.  you don't even need snapshot and i never intended to use it. you can copy a page without snapshot in adobe pro. ugh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2024 Jan 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem. I did not use the snapshot tool, but it is permanently selected. I can only change it to the hand tool. Pressing Escape, closing and reopening the document, nothing works. I will simply use another software to open pdfs because Acrobat is quite bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines