• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating icon - .ico Plugin

Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2011 Apr 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have found some third party plugins to save .icon extension in photoshop.

Doesn't Adobe have a solution? Else, where do I find the most proven and reliable .ico plugin.

We are using CS4, both on Windows XP 32bit and Windows 7 64bit computers.

Edit: Is this recommended http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/

/Jonas

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure about CS4, but CS5 provides a .ico save option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J-MS wrote:

I don't believe it does, J-MS.  You must have installed a 3rd party plug-in to get that.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2011 Apr 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's right, CS4 does not support .ico. But I tried the photoshop plugin http://www.telegraphics.com.au/svn/icoformat/trunk/dist/README.html, and it works fine.

The read me file says that this plugin supports "multiple icons". Does anyone know how to create a single .ico-file containing several icons/resolution/sizes?

Please post a tutorial or similar, if you have seen one.

Thanks for all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jonas_P wrote:

The read me file says that this plugin supports "multiple icons". Does anyone know how to create a single .ico-file containing several icons/resolution/sizes?

Did you read the documentation for that plug-in?  This seems to be the pertinent wording:

• If an input file contains multiple icons, a dialog box prompts to select one (indicates pixel size and colour depth of each contained icon).
  • Files created by the plugin contain a single icon or cursor only. To create "suites" of icons of multiple sizes and/or colour depths, you can save them individually and combine with my icobundle command line utility.

• -Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

J-MS wrote:

I don't believe it does, J-MS.  You must have installed a 3rd party plug-in to get that.

-Noel

You sure? Even on my CS3 I can save to .ico via file > save as ...  (and I don't remember installign a plugin)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure.  No PC version of Photoshop (Standard) I have ever had has ever supported directly writing .ico files out of the box, and I've had all the versions since 3.x with the exception of 7.0.

Look in your 32 bit plug-ins folders (e.g., "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4\Plug-ins\File Formats" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4\Plug-ins\File Formats") to see if you have any .8BI file that starts with the characters "Ico" or similar.  Assuming you find such a file, look at the date.  Does it match the dates of the other .8BI files in there?

There have been 3rd party .ico file saving plug-ins (which never seemed to work very well) since way back.  Most were just a "copy this .8BI file into the plug-ins folder and restart Photoshop" kinds of installs.

I ended up solving my own icon creation needs with a free program provided with Microsoft Visual Studio called Axialis Icon Workshop.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting.

I have a plug-in called ICOFormat64.8BI which preceeds all the Photoshop CS5 Extended dates.

It's also very strange, because I didn't put it there.  At least I have no recollection of doing so.

Anyway, it works very well.  I have been using it very recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps a 3rd party app conveniently installed it for you as part of its operation.

There is a source for that plug-in on the web; a web search turns it up easily.  Something you went and got once quickly then forgot about?

Copy the ICOFormat64.8BI file to a temporary folder, change the file extension from .8bi to .dll, then do a Properties on it in Explorer.  It should tell you who made it in the Details tab.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm.  I suspect you're right Noel.

This is it...

http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/#icoformat

...a copy of which I found in my download folder.

Another senior moment I guess!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Noel Carboni wrote:

Look in your 32 bit plug-ins folders

ok, you are right. The icon plugin is there and now I remember it installing too.

Noel Carboni wrote:

There have been 3rd party .ico file saving plug-ins (which never seemed to work very well) since way back.

The one I have works flawlessly. It's a bit limited as it allows opening multi-size icons, but saves only single size icons. But aside from that, it does exactly what it's supposed to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy this plugin - http://fast.karelia.ru/nlimMxC/ in directory Plug-ins

as you can and save and edit .ico

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines