• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Menu Builder

New Here ,
Jul 11, 2006 Jul 11, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a Menu Builder fileand exported the file in shockwave format. When I open the saved Menu Builder file (not the shockwave file), I receive a blank screen. Why doesn't the saved file appear?

Also, I sent the Menu Builder shockwave file and the related course html and shockwave files to another location in my company for testing. When the link in the Menu Builder file is selected, the user receives an error message stating the file cannot be found since it is mapped to my personal drive. Is the only way around this to save all of the files on a share drive and link the menu builder items to the files on the shared drive?
TOPICS
Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 12, 2006 Jul 12, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ruth, you need to include the files (SWF and HTML) you are linking to in the project folder. There is a check-box to do this at the "Advanced" selection dialog (I think - I don't have MB open right now). Anyway, it's the dialog where you choose the type file to link to . . .

When you publish your MB project, publish it to a new folder so it will contain only the files needed for the MB project. Then package ALL these files and keep them together in the same folder when you are running Menu Builder.

Last thought. Shockwave?? I wouldn't do it. Instead of selecting the SWF option, choose HTML. Trust me, I think this is really what you want (though I'm continually being surprised).

Have a nice day!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2006 Jul 13, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am having the same problem as Ruth, although some of my movies will open via menu builder, others simply open into a blank screen. I have tried everything from the previous thread but the movies still won't open.

I have also tried opening the movies in preview in Robodemo 5 and they go to blank screen then as well. I really don't understand what the problem is as the other movies work just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Larry: Perhaps I should start at the beginning. I created about 8 modules in Captivate and published them. I did not export them, as I do not have the software to do so. I then created a Menu Builder file saved it in a new folder on my desktop with the other files, which have been copied from the network. There is no publish feature in Captivate, as you mentioned, so I figure you meant export. When I export the project in html file format it does not work, even though the check box is selected to link the project folder. The file will open if I publish it in shockwave format.

Do I need to export the modules in addition to publishing them? When you say package the files, do you mean just to keep them all in one folder? If so, I've done that. The larger and more pressing problem is that our IT dept. needs to have all of the files and they will reside on a totally different network, to which I do not have write access to. Is there I number where I can call and get some assistance? We've worked very, very hard to meet a very tight deadline and need this to work.

Ruth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Larry: Perhaps I should start at the beginning. I created about 8 modules in Captivate and published them. I did not export them, as I do not have the software to do so. I then created a Menu Builder file saved it in a new folder on my desktop with the other files, which have been copied from the network. There is no publish feature in Captivate, as you mentioned, so I figure you meant export. When I export the project in html file format it does not work, even though the check box is selected to link the project folder. The file will open if I publish it in shockwave format.

Do I need to export the modules in addition to publishing them? When you say package the files, do you mean just to keep them all in one folder? If so, I've done that. The larger and more pressing problem is that our IT dept. needs to have all of the files and they will reside on a totally different network, to which I do not have write access to. Is there I number where I can call and get some assistance? We've worked very, very hard to meet a very tight deadline and need this to work.

Ruth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ruth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a number that where I can reach you? Dear Larry: Perhaps I should start at the beginning. I created about 8 modules in Captivate and published them. I did not export them, as I do not have the software to do so. I then created a Menu Builder file saved it in a new folder on my desktop with the other files, which have been copied from the network. There is no publish feature in Captivate, as you mentioned, so I figure you meant export. When I export the project in html file format it does not work, even though the check box is selected to link the project folder. The file will open if I publish it in shockwave format.

Ruth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ruth,
I sense a frustration level just below boiling, screaming, and - heaven forbid - shooting. This happens often - especially when a company purchases software that is new to their people, then promptly starts setting project deadlines.

No matter how easy a software package is to learn, they all have a learning curve and that always seems to be ignored by the complete idiots who proudly announce to their boss that "My people can do that - by Friday!"

My email address is in my profile. Send me a private email and include your 1) phone and 2) location in the U.S.. Also the 3) best hours (your time) to reach you, and 4) a link to this thread. If you are located outside the U.S., we may have a problem - I've already spent my allowance on ice cream and baseball trading cards this month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2006 Jul 14, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Larry: I sent you an email with the info requested above. If you don't receive it, please email me. I have sent the email twice today and would like to find out what I am doing wrong. Many thanks, Ruth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To All,
Ruth's problem is solved. It was the security issue wtih playing ActiveX content in IE v6. Once we forced the browser to allow the (ActiveX) Menu Builder link to the SWF (movie), the movie(s) played fine.

Not sure yet about Caren. May not be the same problem, but we will try to keep everyone posted on what the problem and solution is. Have a good weekend everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Larry

Can you clarify that a wee bit?

I hear you now. WHat? Why dangit, I was perfectly clear!

And in a perfect world, you would be! But this is the world Bill has influenced and is rife with possibilites as well as pitfalls.

My reason for asking is that in the last couple of days I'm seeing tons of confusion surrounding "ActiveX content". It seems we have two distinctly different issues surrounding this term and many folks are becoming confused.

Soooo, was it:

A: The relatively new issue where the person viewing the Captivate movie must first click to activate the control.

or was it:

B: The somewhat older issue where a person is running content on the local PC and trying to link elsewhere and either the Flash Security dialog or the pesky yellow Internet Explorer information bar pops up and blocks content until a chicken has been properly sacrificed to appease the ever watchful Windows Flash deities.

Cheers and happy Friday all... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 19, 2006 Jul 19, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thanks for asking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2006 Jul 21, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Just wanted you all to know that my problem has now been resolved by Larry. My movies were not opening because I had named them with illegal characters (in this instance the # symbol). Many thanks to everyone for their support.

Caren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2008 Mar 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a Menubuilder file and attached all files. The files are in the same location as menubuilder file. Everything launches except the .flv movies - I am wondering if I need to rename them....issue below stated that they were using an incorrect character....my file names have underscores in them (i.e. KC_movie.flv)
Should I take these _underscores out of file names, reinsert with newly named file in my original captivate files, then republish my captivate files, and relink in menubuilder?

Or should I go another route?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2008 Mar 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephanie D and welcome to our community

Are you attempting to link from MenuBuilder directly to .FLV? Or are you linking from Captivate to .FLV?

Have you ensured the .FLV exists in the same folder as the rest of the files?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2008 Mar 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I have linked the .flv in captivate. Published the captivate as an .swf. Both the published captivate and the .flv file are all in the same folder. The captivate files run perfectly including the video, but linked into the menubuilder file all runs, except the page that the movie is supposed to run. I just get a white screen, then have to advance to next slide manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ruth and Larry,
I am experiencing a similar problem using Menubuilder. I have created a project using Menubuilder with 13 modules. I published the project to a CD and it works fine. I then provided a copy of the CD to our webmaster to place on our company's website (not an LMS). I can access the Main Men.exe file and it brings up the main menu but when I try to access the other modules from the Main Menu I receive and error message "F"?
I also tried to publish the project to a new folder so it will contain only the files needed for the MB project and still experience the same error after it is posted on the web.
Any assistance would be much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi pdobbin,

I noticed your reference to the "menu.exe" (indicating Flash-player is the vehicle). However, you also said you were posting the files for delivery as streaming content (on your intranet). I would advise you use HTML as your publishing choice from Menu Builder. The executable file (EXE) will always be problematic in my opinion, unless it is being used on a CD or local machine and is connecting only to other executable files.

I hope this makes sense to you. Let me know if I can explain it better.

regards~
Larry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources