7 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2011 9:51 AM by Jackre

Acrobat 9 Pro - Closing Causes Extended Hard Drive Activity

beeeerock65

This issue started after a year or more of clean running and automated Adobe updates.  My installation is up to date according to Adobe.

Dell Precision 4300 laptop, 4 GB RAM, Windows XP Pro, all patches etc. up to date.

The problem I am seeing only occurs when I attempt to close Acrobat.  Using Windows Task Manager to obtain some of the details, the summary is as follows:

View a 200 KB single page PDF document.

Shut down Acrobat (simply closing the document and leaving an empty instance of Acrobat open doesn't cause any trouble).

Acrobat window remains open for a protracted length of time, hard drive is active constantly.

At this point, Task Manager shows acrobat.exe using 28 MB of memory and this number remains constant while the window is visible on screen.

Acrobat disappears from the screen.

Hard drive activity continues, but now Task Manager shows the 28 MB of memory ramping up.  It eventually peaks and holds at 336 MB!

During this time, the I/O Read and Write associated with the Acrobat.exe process continues to climb.  In this test, the final number is 1,100 MB and 700 MB respectively. Seems a little extreme for a 200 KB PDF!

The acrobat.exe process eventually disappears from Task Manager and the hard drive activity ceases.  This takes a couple of minutes and happens every time I close Acrobat!  I have got into the habit of simply leaving an empty window open, or killing the process via Task Manager.

If I try to do a shut down of the system immediately after closing Acrobat (while the drive is still working hard), I will get a warning that acrobat.exe isn't responding, or sometimes, that font capture isn't responding.  If I wait, the process eventually completes on its own and the computer shuts down.

I have tried the 'repair installation' option in Acrobat.  No joy.  None of the other CS4 applications seem to have this problem... Photoshop just closes without any drama.

Ideas?

• 1. Re: Acrobat 9 Pro - Closing Causes Extended Hard Drive Activity
          beeeerock65 Level 1

No responses on this question... have I included all information necessary?  Does Adobe watch the forums?  I can't believe I'm the only one to come across this problem...!

• 2. Re: Acrobat 9 Pro - Closing Causes Extended Hard Drive Activity
            Zhi_xong

I too have been having some serious ongoing issues similar to this.  Closing Adobe routinely causes serious lagging and freezing issues, and adobe.exe does remain in the active processes for quite a while after closing the program.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times, so it is not a corrupted file.  I have noticed, too, that the problem seems to be more serious when opening a pdf in Internet Explorer versus opening direct in the progam.

• 3. Re: Acrobat 9 Pro - Closing Causes Extended Hard Drive Activity
              beeeerock65 Level 1

Ah, I'm not the only one!  Good to know... (I guess...).

I don't use Explorer, but rather Firefox.  However, I ALSO see the problem there.  Closing a tab that had been viewing a PDF file causes a similar long period of drive activity and Firefox doesn't respond to input.  I think the file I see hogging resources is container.exe or something like that.  I haven't seen it in a while, so I might not have it right... however, it's not acrobat.exe when the web browser is having the problem.  I suspect Firefox is running acrobat.exe in within that 'container' for security reasons?

The 'repair installation' function didn't help.  Really don't know what else to try... but saw a thread about plug-ins sometimes causing issues.  I wonder how to test that?

• 4. Re: Acrobat 9 Pro - Closing Causes Extended Hard Drive Activity
                Zhi_xong Level 1

Interesting that you mentioned a program possibly called container.  Per forum post http://forums.adobe.com/thread/835795?tstart=30 there is a file called container90.  However, I cannot locate it within the parameters specified.  Maybe that will help you; since I can't find it, it did not help me.  Plugins...I do not have a clue about...do not use them.

• 5. Re: Acrobat 9 Pro - Closing Causes Extended Hard Drive Activity
                  beeeerock65 Level 1

That link talks about a file called 'organizer90'.  Close, but no cigar!

It does mention plug-ins though.  Perhaps I should chase that idea next.

• 6. Re: Acrobat 9 Pro - Closing Causes Extended Hard Drive Activity
                    beeeerock65 Level 1

I was kinda hoping Adobe might read this post and offer a solution if nothing came from the community...

• 7. Re: Acrobat 9 Pro - Closing Causes Extended Hard Drive Activity
                      Jackre

I have the same problem of HDD activity after closing any pdf file, whatever the file size.

I'm done with adobe acrobat..

This is not only the problem.. I installed the Acrobat 10 and I found that I cannot modify the toolbar by drag and drop and I cannot add the (properties) bar to the main toolbar (or even the buttons of the properties bar), So the properties bar still floating and when i resize the acrobat window or dock the window to the left or to the righ i have to move the properties bar over the screen...

In Pro9 the properties bar can be a part of the main toolbar, BUT sometimes the properties bar goes disabled and I have to close the Acrobar and reopen it to return the propeties bar enabled again. So, it seems to me adobe acrobat solved the problem in Pro10 by not allowing adding the properties bar to the the main toolbar...

Recently I solved the annoying options dialog box by renaming some plugin files!!

Why the Adobe Acrobat takes 2G of HDD space!!!..

Now I moved to Nitro PDF Professional software and it has all the Acrobat features of editing, viewing, drawing...etc and it takes less than 100M of my HDD...and this what Corel PDF Fusion do as well. The Corel PDF Fusion has the highlight text, editing text and page actions..etc but it doesn't have the drawing feature yet, maybe because it is v1.0 in 2011

tens of new PDF sofware in the market... Wake Up acrobat team...