Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy option within RH8 topic

Apr 18, 2011 Apr 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have multiple authors creating SDK help documentation in Microsoft Word.  We anticipate distributing the SDK docs in CHM files and maybe html.

We want to include code samples in the distributed Help document.  This will make it easy for the User to copy code samples from the help documentation and paste the code into a code editor.

Screenshot_1.jpg

So, here is what we want to do

Given a Word Doc, create a help file where the code can be copied with the “Copy” button next to the sample code (as shown above).  We may have to tweak the word doc to get this to happen.  We need to know what that “tweak” is so that we can create documents that can easily be imported to RoboHelp and upon publishing will allow the User to easily copy certain text.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Isn't that basically the same question that was posted at the link below?

Click here to view

'Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, yes, it is.  In the previous thread I posted some additional information to respond to your questions.  You mentioned using JavaScript and some special formatting in the topic.  I was hoping you could give me a sample of both so that I could give it a try.

This additional post was to eliminate any possible confusion.  Any help would be greatly appreciated - then no more posts - on this anyway.

Thanks!

Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cindy

There is a huge issue here. As I said in the other thread, I've accomplished what you are wanting to achieve. But what I did was done using RoboHelp HTML and in HTML topic pages. Certainly I could offer you an example of what I've done, and I'm quite happy to do this. But the big ole fly in the ointment here is that you are saying you want to accomplish this by editing a Microsoft Word document and having that flow into RoboHelp. And I'm not sure this is remotely possible. Even when you are doing it the way I do it it's not really straightforward and requires a lot of dabbling in the HTML to make it work.

I'll dig up what I've done and post it as another reply to this thread.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Okay, so here's the deal. I use a JavaScript function as shown below:

function copyit(theField) {
var tempval=eval("document."+theField)
tempval.focus()
tempval.select()
therange=tempval.createTextRange()
therange.execCommand("Copy")
}

The function will need to either be inserted in each topic or referenced via a separate JavaScript file. Mine is in a separate JavaScript file.

Then in the topic where you want this to work, you add a form by adding the following HTML code:

<form>
<implicit_p><textarea id=copyTemp style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden;"> </textarea>
</form>

Then for the trigger (the text or image or whatever that the user will click to perform the copy process, you use this code:

<span onclick="copytoclipboard('Parking')" style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; cursor: hand;">Parking</span>

In the example above, the word "Parking" would be copied to the Windows clipboard (assuming, of course, that everything is properly configured and working.

Good luck! Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Just thought I'd add that I use this inside CHM files. I'm very doubtful it would remotely work if I were to try WebHelp or FlashHelp.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 20, 2011 Apr 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rick,

I cannot thank you enough for your patience in walking me through this and for your willingness to share your work and experience!

Many thanks!

Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp