Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get RAM Preview in PP CS5?

Apr 21, 2011 Apr 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm recently trying out premiere, and the biggest thing that is bothering me right now is that I can't find the RAM preview. I don't have the required graphics card to get the Mercury Playback Engine, but I would at least expect to be able to build a RAM preview to playback part of my timeline smoothly. I am new to premiere, but I remember using After Effects CS4 last year, and there was a way to build a RAM preview so I could watch certain parts of my video without it being choppy. Right now all I get it choppy playback and I can't view my work.

Also, is there a way to lower the preview screen resolution in order to get faster RAM preview. Just like After Effects has 'Full' 'Half' 'Third' etc. I would really appreciate some help, thanks a lot!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 21, 2011 Apr 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tap the enter key. In Premiere, there isn't a ram preview. when

you hit enter the work area will render and start playing back .

Or you can just hit the space bar and it will play back without rendering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 22, 2011 Apr 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So by rendering it actually renders out an actual file on my computer that will take out space? I'll try that, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I tried the 'Press Enter' and there's no way that is a practical way to do it. I have a short 10 second clip and it's telling me to wait 16 minutes for a preview? So I guess premiere cs5 is pretty much useless then if you don't have an Ndvia card? If After effects does it why not premiere? Guess I'll stick to Sony Vegas Pro for now since it is very easy to do it and it doesn't fill up your hard drive with unnecesary files.

Also, is there a way to change the preview to 'Full', 'Half', or 'Third' like after effects? I know you can resize the screen, but it seems that it doesn't change the resolution so the playback is still jumpy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some background on Rendering, see this ARTICLE.

For the Monitor Display settings, Rt-click on the Program Monitor, and you will see all the controls in the drop-down.

You might also benefit from some of the tips in this ARTICLE for setting up your computer, and your OS. Especially if you have Win7-64, see the link to Black Viper's Win7 Tune Up site, down-thread.

Though you do not have an nVidia card, hence no hardware MPE, but see this ARTICLE for more background.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What effects do you have applied to the clip? If you press the spacebar in the timeline window (or the play button in the program monitor) you should see some kind of playback even if it is a little choppy. Scrubbing the timeline with your mose should also work. Going ot Sequence > Render Effects in Work Area will allow you to play back the fully rendered clip. Unless there is something else going on...  Ram preview is an AE only function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to both of you guys help. When I remove all effects on the clips, it plays fine (some chops here and there, but mostly fine), but if I have an effect (Color Correction) on it then it's choppy. I can't deal with choppiness at all since I edit music videos where I need to see every quick cut I make. So I guess I would have to disable all effects when I need to preview.

I wouldn't mind doing the rendering, but it seems that it's rending the whole 1080p uncompressed video when I do that which is why it's taking so long. Is there a way to change the render settings to let's say 640x480 or lower? That way I can just get a quick simple low resolution render? Also, I tried changing the resolution of the preview screen, but it won't let me go lower than 1/4. Any reason for that?

Thanks again for all your help. I'm still mad that there's no RAM preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

roodolf2075 wrote:

Thanks to both of you guys help. When I remove all effects on the clips, it plays fine (some chops here and there, but mostly fine), but if I have an effect (Color Correction) on it then it's choppy. I can't deal with choppiness at all since I edit music videos where I need to see every quick cut I make. So I guess I would have to disable all effects when I need to preview.

roodolf2075 wrote:

I wouldn't mind doing the rendering, but it seems that it's rending the whole 1080p uncompressed video when I do that which is why it's taking so long. Is there a way to change the render settings to let's say 640x480 or lower? That way I can just get a quick simple low resolution render? Also, I tried changing the resolution of the preview screen, but it won't let me go lower than 1/4. Any reason for that?

roodolf2075 wrote:

I'm still new to CS5 so still learning it but you can change your render bar at the top of your time line.  Just grab one end and slide it toward the center to make it smaller then grab the center of it (a fist will appear as you cursor) and slide the whole bar over the area you want to render.  Doing that will allow you to render any one or two second section of your time line by just hitting the Enter key.  I know that's not what you're looking for but that's all I know at this time and it will help you  a little.

Ted

Sorry, but I tried to fix the Quote that I included and just made it  worse.  Gotta figure that out too.

Message was edited by: editted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still new to CS5 so still learning it but you can change your render bar at the top of your time line.  Just grab one end and slide it toward the center to make it smaller then grab the center of it (a fist will appear as you cursor) and slide the whole bar over the area you want to render.  Doing that will allow you to render any one or two second section of your time line by just hitting the Enter key.  I know that's not what you're looking for but that's all I know at this time and it will help you  a little.

Ted

The bar you're referring to is called the Work Area Bar, and that's one way to go. If 10 seconds is taking 16m to render, though, then that might not be much help.

We do not make low-res proxies when rendering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 24, 2011 Apr 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This thread has some muddled terminology and shows some confusion about rendering, previewing, and such. To clear this up, please read this page. The different commands for previewing are detailed in the section titled "how the render bars relate to playback commands".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines