• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merging child projects RH9

Participant ,
Apr 22, 2011 Apr 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so confused right now that I don't want to look to see if there's an open topic because just one more piece of extraneous information will tank me.

I have studied the topic at http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/merging_webhelp/merging_method_rh8.htm, but I couldn't make it work and the words are swimming.

I used to do this on RH6 without even thinking two years ago, but I can't remember how I did it. What I remember is being told that all projects had to live on the C:\ drive, and publish to the server. You could not keep the project on the server and generate it there without experiencing problems (I don't recall what those were because I always obediently kept my projects on C:\).

So I began with setting Output to C:\Robohelp\Parent\!SSL!\WebHelp\_START_Parent.htm. I published it to F:\Policies\Published\ where it dumped the files at the root. I also tried creating "Parent" directories and publishing to F:\Policies\Published\Parent\_START_Parent.htm.I've tried other things as well, but if I'd love to know the correct path before moving on to the child project, since nothing worked. Has it changed? Do you maintain the projects on the server now?

I tried to recreate the nested hierachy suggested in the topic:

Parent

Project

Child_1

Child_2

But I'm not sure if that hierachy is for the Output path or the Published path because nothing seemed to work. That's my first question. Are we building that structure on the C:\ Drive (Output) or on the F:\ (Published Destination), or both?

So I set up the child project as C:\Robohelp\Project\Child1\!SSL!\WebHelp\_START_Child1.htm, and compiled. I published it to

F:\Policies\Published\

F:\Policies\Published\Projects

F:\Policies\Published\Child1

F:\Policies\Published\mergedProjects

F:\Policies\Published\Parent\

F:\Policies\Published\Parent\\!SSL!\WebHelp\mergedProjects

I changed the link on the "merged" icon many, many times. Nothing worked. I don't know which paths are incorrect, in what combination, or if they all are.

--- Has the source directory requirement changed? Do you maintain the projects on the server now?

--- Are we building that structure on the C:\ Drive (Output) or on the F:\ (Published Destination), or both?

--- How do you set up the Merge link?

Please point me in the right direction. Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should mention that Figure 5 in that topic shows the Merged Project dialog floating over the Project Manager pod, suggesting that I go there, instead of into the TOC, to insert the merged project. However, my Merge Project icon is grayed out when I'm in Project Manager. I can only insert it from the TOC. So I'm thrown off by the steps in the instructions. Totally lost here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind. Got it...!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just as I was about to see if I could help!

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp