• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

importing mov files in premiere pro cs5

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2010 Jun 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed Adobe Creative Suite 5 Master Collection on my machine and now, i have two issues.

1. I do have the latest quicktime installed but when i try to import *.mov files with audio, only the audio is imported and works fine. the video isn't, but I dont get a dialogue error box.

A). if the *.mov file has only video, i get a file import failure message saying " the file has no audio or video streams".

2. the next prob is my dymanic linking does not work.

Help please

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

..and which platform are you running into this issue on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MOV is a file format, not a video format.  An MOV file can contain many different kinds of video which may play perfectly fine, but not all of which may work very well as source material within Premiere.

Where did you get the clips?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2010 Dec 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.  I purchased two stock shots from Pond5.  They are HD .mov files.  They play in VLC, Windows Media, Irfanview,etc.  They only show audio in Premiere although their properties indicate video and audio there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 24, 2010 Dec 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ramuno, we need a lot more information if we're going to help.

What video codec is used for these files?

What version of Premiere Pro are you using?  The trial version? The full version with the recent updates?

What operating system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Jim points out, the MOV format is but a wrapper, and almost anything can be inside. Same for AVI, WMV, etc.. This ARTICLE will give you more background on what can be inside the wrapper, and how important THAT info is.

Once one knows the CODEC inside the wrapper, they can work to find it, and install it. Unfortunately, depending on the CODEC, one might, or might not be able to edit with it. This ARTICLE will give some background on CODEC's.

Also note that some CODEC's are platform-dependent - some ONLY will install onto a PC, and some only onto a Mac. It just depends.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My files show as Apple QuickTime (.MOV/QT) with a codec of jpeg Apple Photo JPEG.

I installed the latest Quicktime from Apple but that doesn't help my CS5 (version 5.0.3) see the video portion of the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not used the Photo-JPEG CODEC, but Jeff Bellune (MOD here) has, and really likes it. Perhaps he'll have some useful tips for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2011 Apr 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. Doesn't mather which codec I chosed to render the movie from After Effects. Every time I want to import a mov-file in premiere, there was this kind of error.

But now I shutted down my firewall( in my case ZoneAlarm ) and it worked ..also the programm starts quicker than before.

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 21, 2011 Apr 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zone Alarm, eh? I used to use that program, but it got in the way of almost everything that I did, that I canned it completely.

Glad that removing ZA solved your issue.

Personally, I find MOV Animation CODEC to be quite good, and use that for a lot of work. Jeff Bellune, here, like the Photo JPEG format, but I have not explored that.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 22, 2011 Apr 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post seemed like the likeliest place I could get help finding an answer, so here goes:

Specs first:

MAC OS X 10.6.7

2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

12GB 1066 MHz DDR3

Premiere Pro CS5

I just switched from a buggy old system to this new one yesterday and I'm trying to open .MOV files in PPro - something that was no issue a couple days ago. I asked around the office and found out that "oh yeah, that footage required a certain CODEC..." but no one could tell me what that was and I'm hard-pressed to find anything online. The footage is from our old Canon XHA1 (HD). I'm also missing the .FLV codec for Quicktime Pro, mysteriously. I don't know if they're connected somehow.

I'm sure you will need more information, probe away.

Thanks,

Kristin

Update:

I have discovered the solution to my particular problem and decided to post what I learned in the hopes that someone might find it useful.

The "old buggy system" had Final Cut Pro installed with all its codecs. The files from the Canon XHA1 were stored on a Firestore set to record as .mov. In the case of the Firestore, it has three settings for recording: .mov for Final Cut Pro, .mxf for Avid, and .m2t for Premiere Pro. My issue was that the new system did not have Final Cut Pro and therefore lacked the necessary codecs to read the FCP-specific files saved on the Firestore. I have since changed it to record as .m2t and can verify that those files work perfectly fine with PPro.

For those without access to FCP, you can try to get the codecs from the Quicktime Library on the HD of someone who does have FCP installed (which is technically illegal), or you can do what I had to do and ingest the clips organically through the capture mode of PPro...time consuming, but effective.

I hope this is helpful for someone out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2011 Apr 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im trying something and I hope you can help me. I have two computers, one dedicated to capturing a event and the other I have is dedicated to playback. They share the hard drive via a network. What I want to know is- is there a way for the dedicated playback machine to access a video file that is still being captured by the capturing machine and play back parts of it in a sequence??

Gosford Lawrence

<a href="http://webvideocall.oovoo.com/callme/gosford/236" target="_blank" id='199c6af4-2f57-4409-a1ba-77cbdcc26240'>!https://www3.oovoo.com/oovoocallme/images/btn1.png|height=68|alt=http://webvideocall.oovoo.com/callme/gosford/236|width=123|src=https://www3.oovoo.com/oovoocallme/images/btn1.png|border=0!</a>

Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 17:40:14 -0600

To: gosfordl@hotmail.com

Subject: importing mov files in premiere pro cs5

Zone Alarm, eh? I used to use that program, but it got in the way of almost everything that I did, that I canned it completely.

Glad that removing ZA solved your issue.

Personally, I find MOV Animation CODEC to be quite good, and use that for a lot of work. Jeff Bellune, here, like the Photo JPEG format, but I have not explored that.

Good luck,

Hunt

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 22, 2011 Apr 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm I'm running into the same problem now. I have some footage I shot from a Canon XH1 on HDV. My Premiere wasn't reading the camera properly so I took it to my friend's FCP system to capture. Now I have a bunch of .mov files that I can't seem to import into Adobe. I get an error message saying there's a missing codec or something. My Premiere is running on a PC and I downloaded the latest version of Quicktime. Not sure what else I should do. Don't recall if my friend's FCP settings had any codecs in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 24, 2011 Apr 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lliu1979,

What video codec is used in the QuickTime movies?

As is mentioned in psots earlier in this thread, a QuickTime (.mov) file is just a container. It can contain video in many, many different formats using many, many different codecs. Premiere Pro needs to have the relevant codec to import file. In fact, the same is true of QuickTime itself; it also needs the relevant codec. Final Cut Pro installs several codecs onto the computer where it's installed, so it may be that the codec that it used to write this file is not one that comes with the standard QuickTime isntallation on Windows.

Can you play this file in QuickTime Player on the same computer where you have Premiere Pro installed? If so, then that says that the codec is on your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2011 Apr 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...a Canon XH1 on HDV. My Premiere wasn't reading the camera properly so I took it to my friend's FCP system to capture. Now I have a bunch of .mov files that I can't seem to import into Adobe. I get an error message saying there's a missing codec or something. My Premiere is running on a PC and I downloaded the latest version of Quicktime. Not sure what else I should do. Don't recall if my friend's FCP settings had any codecs in it.

I'd be willing to bet that the files are using the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC); if so, there is no way to get these working on the PC. Apple never released an AIC decoder for Windows. You can either convert them to something like ProRes (using a Mac that has FCP installed), or recapture to ProRes to begin with... or just figure out why capture isn't working correctly on your PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2011 May 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same problem, importing .MOV files and not getting any audio in Premiere CS5. As a shot in the dark I downloaded and isntalled the trial of PRemiere Elements. Elements played the files with their audio, but the trial would not export it. So for giggles and grins tried Pro again and now it plays audio. So exported to mp4 and now have both a video and audio track in the new file. Just tried it on one file, have more to test it out on now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines