• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to give a relative path from a button in the master page header?

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2011 Apr 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so I have this code in the header of my Master page in RoboHelp:

<input type="image" value="View graphics legend"

onclick="window.location.href='Graphics_legend.htm'"
src="Images\graphic legend.png" name="image1"
title="View graphics legend" style="width: 118px; height: 21px;" />

i need to call the 'Graphics_legend.htm' file which is sitting in the root folder. When i try this it works fine for the html file which are in the root folder as well, but anything with is in a sub directory , the button stops working.

It might be just to add a realtive path ,but i am failing to understand how to make a relative path for 'Graphics_legend.htm' ,.. ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Relative paths are relatively simple once you get the hang of them.

For example, if you want to refer to something that is one folder above where you are, you prefix things with ../

The ../ is HTML shorthand meaning one folder level above where I am. If you wish to go two folder levels up, ../../

If you need to drop into a folder that is at the same level as where you are, ../FolderName

From what you have written it would seem that RoboHelp isn't seeing your code and properly calculating the path. That's really not too surprising because you are using the Button element.

If you are using CSS and linking to a style sheet you likely have a simple way to calculate what the relative path should be. Just examine the source code of the topic and note what prefixes the CSS file name. Assuming your CSS is in the project root (and it should be) then you could use the same prefix.

Hopefully this helps... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need to drop into a folder that is at the same level as where you are, ../FolderName

I think that is a typo and that Rick meant ./FolderName. (A single full stop / period)

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2011 Apr 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is what is in the header of the master page for the css

<link rel="StyleSheet" href="SHARQ_MO_2_1_2011.css" type="text/css" />

i think my button will need some scripting so that it can calculate the relative path ... or maybe .. is there some way just to point to the root directory level, regardlerss of what level the call was made from ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

See http://www.wvanweelden.eu/robohelp/scripts/projectroot for a JavaScript function that returns the project root for any topic in your project. (Only works in output, not in preview.)

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Van.

but my next question would be how do I call that function in the button code ? I'm not an html programer, i can just understand the code ... i really dont know how to call functions ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2011 Apr 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

First off, you need to make the function available for all topics, for example by adding the script to a JavaScript file or putting it in the header/footer of the masterpage. The button should do something like this:

onclick="RedirectToLegend()"

You can then add a function like this:

function RedirectToLegend() {

var Topic = "Graphics_legend.htm";

var Path = RootPath();

document.location = Path+Topic;

}

You can add the script, including the function RootPath by selecting an isertion point, then selecting Insert > HTML > Advanced > Script. Just paste the code in the "Source"  tab.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

What I meant was for you to look at the reference for a base topic and not the master page. The master page will always be in the project root and the leading information won't be there.

You may need to examine a topic in output.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp